News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Help Needed with Promoting Harlan, KY AS

Started by Bama, April 25, 2009, 11:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bama

AS has been offered a table at the Harlan, KY Black Bear Festival on May 9-10. This is exactly two weeks before the scheduled Harlan, KY 5/23-24 shoot. We could get a lot of people interested in coming to the Harlan AS if we had at least one person available to man the table and promote AS. I imagine someone in period dress would be perfect. Someone good at story telling and relating to people. They could have a sign displayed with times that stories would be given so families could plan on being there to hear their heritage being shared.

There are no IITs or Is in this area (at least not that I am aware of) or I would call on them. The local guy who is AS-friendly that hosted this shoot will be with me in a Fieldcraft class in Alabama on 5/9-10 (the Black Bear Festival dates) or I would personally drive the 6 or so hours there and help the local BOTG do it. We were both instrumental in getting the Fieldcraft class hosted and organized so there is no way we can back out of that class now.

Who will go to this and fullfill the need?

Also, the BOTG in Harlan has talked the local newspaper into doing a story on AS and the event for timely publication to advertise the shoot. I have done some of the history at AS with good results and will do the interview if no one more fluent and articulate wants to do it. I can do the newspaper interview but as mentioned I cannot help with the Black Bear Festival as my presence is required in Guntersville, AL on those dates.

Someone please step forward and help promote this event. Don't think that these small out of the way events are not fruitful. My first exposure to Appleseed was in Totz, KY (outside of Harlan) and it was a small shoot. My friend's desire to help AS in KY made a firm root take hold in Alabama.

Thanks & regards to all who volunteer in the capacity that they can.
Bama
To usurp supreme & absolute authority...in a free state, and subject it to tyranny, the people must have already become corrupt by gradual steps. And all states necessarily come to this, unless...they are brought back by good laws to their first principles.

-Niccolo Machiavelli (1531)