News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Reno Appleseed "Ramming" up

Started by Joe, April 22, 2009, 03:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

That is "ramming", not ramping.

The Palomino Valley Gun Club has offered Appleseed the opportunity to shoot their very expensive steel silhouettes at the May 23-24 Appleseed. Range will be out to 500 meters. Rams are 22" tall and 38" wide so if you can shoot to the Rifleman standard of 4 min. you ought to be able to clean up, right!!  It takes at least a 6.5x55 to knock the rams down, but a spotter paying attention should be able to see any hits so 223 will work. (You are going to hit them all aren't you?). Actually, the course record is 38 out of 40 targets by a gentleman shooting a 1917 enfield and that's with iron sights by the way.

Should keep things interesting.

Just a reminder, no armor piercing, incendiary, or tracer ammo!!! Standard miltiary ball will work fine.

Hope to see you there

Joe

Brooktheron

I am planning to attend the Reno Appleseed (already signed up). The confusion lies in the fact that I cannot find a list of "What to bring" that is geared to a two day event. Most all are for a full boot camp. I would like specifics on how much ammo for the 10/22, and how much ammo for the centerfire. Also, are open sites recommended to learn the techniques? Thanks, Maggie

James E

Maggie:

The list of what to bring to a two day shoot is here:  http://www.appleseedinfo.org/pdf/what_to_bring_shoot.pdf .   The list says to bring a staple gun if you have one.  Make sure you have one.  As far as ammo, I suggest 250 each day for your 10/22, have at least a couple extra magazines, very important!  Lots of folks shoot the whole Appleseed with their 22, except for the long range at the end of day on Sunday, so center fire ammo can be limited to that if you choose.  Oters shoot the whole event with a centerfire.

Regarding open sights on your 10/22:  If you already have a scope, I suggest leaving it on for your first Appleseed.  If you had tech-sights (aftermarket open sights for the 10/22)  already installed, that would ideal.  The stock 10/22 sights are hard to adjust under Appleseed conditions, so I wouldn't suggest using those.

We shoot quite a bit in prone, so a shooting mat and elbow pads or shooting jacket are essential.  A carpet remnant works well as an inexpensive shooting mat.  A sling is important, too.  Ideally, you have a GI type web sling.  If not, make sure you at least have 1-1/4" swivels on your 10/22, I have a couple extra web slings to loan.

The most important thing to bring is a teachable attitude, although I have found it rare that a woman shooter showed up without one.

I will be one of your five instructors.  I look forward to meeting you.  Feel free to ask more on this forum, or by PM.

James E

AZRedhawk44

Wow, long distance event available?  Sweet!

I may "walk on" for Sunday instead of instructing!   >:D ;)

This event sounds like it's gonna be great.  Five or six instructors, about 29 preregistered participants at this point and a week to go.