News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

College Station, TX - AAR, Apr 18-19, 2009

Started by TOP, April 21, 2009, 10:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The day started off with a flash and a crack as torrential rains flooded the range.  The lightning drove us off the range forcing us to seek shelter!  Fortunately Steve, who provided TX with our second DAR had a huge covered area near the range.  We relocated moved equipment and quickly cleaned up the area and soon had close to twenty-five shooting mats lined out.  Kudos to Steve and Robert for making this happen.

Heavy rain and lightning continued until at least noon.  We presented all the ground instruction, TOP presented the "First Strike" and SCOUT the "Second Strike".  Finally about 1400 the thunderstorms ended and we rushed back to the range to set things up.  Everything was in place and we fired the first rounds of the day at redcoats in the nationwide volley at 1500.

The rest of the afternoon was spent shooting black squares in the mud.  Finally, the TEXAS PIRATE presented the "Third Strike" and we called it a day.

Sunday virtually everyone showed back up for more with a couple of new shooters thrown in.  Sunshine and wind allowed the shooters to get a taste of dust by afternoon.  No new Rifleman but we had a number of folks well on there way to earning that Rifleman patch soon.  "Guy" was knocking at the door with a 208 and Randall, an already solid Rifleman, blasted the AQT with a 244!

All in all we made lemonade when the weather threw us lemons.  Nary a complaint was heard regarding the conditions.  Scout, TX Pirate and Top kept it all moving with Steve and Robert providing tons of logistical support in the background.

A "Rifleman" persists!!

SavageShootr

Heavy rain and lightning continued until at least noon.  We presented all the ground instruction, TOP presented the "First Strike" and SCOUT the "Second Strike".  Finally about 1400 the thunderstorms ended and we rushed back to the range to set things up.  Everything was in place and we fired the first rounds of the day at redcoats in the nationwide volley at 1500.

Great use of the time! Adapt, improvise and overcome!! Perfect timing for the sky to clear and be part of the Nationwide Volley. I think the Founders had a hand there.  O0

Thank You for the report. Great job out there in Texas. Congratulations to all who attended. Instructors included.

~SS

"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

Scout

Great report Top, we had over 4 inches of rain from the night of the 17th and on the day of the 18th. I asked Steve if we could use his warehouse covered storage for teaching the classroom and he readily agreed. While we did the classroom and history, Steve worked on getting the warehouse area set up as an improvised shooting line.

We shoot no matter what the weather at Appleseeds.....except for Lightning, which we had in great abundance. Even in the over head covered position we were soaked as the rain was coming in at us horizontally under the overhang, but we were safer from lightning than on the exposed line. As Steve worked to get the covered site ready, we ran through the six steps, NPOA, building a stable shooting position and covering history. WHile we broke for lunch and did the first strike, the rain and storms abated and even though we were going to lay down in water, we were soaked already, so it was not a factor.

We placed plastic down and mats and put 28 shooters on the line and had them prepped with no time to spare to start the national volley at 1500 hours central time. The day went as good as could be expected with slogging through sticky red clay and deep mud and water, and we actually had a great time even though the temperature went from a chilled and wet 60 degrees to a sweltering 82 degrees and 90% humidity.

The following day we placed 26 shooters on the line as some had left on Saturday and others arrived on Sunday. This day went well, but was almost what was usuallly done on Saturday since the rain had kept attendees from doing much actual shooting. Everyone who attended was pleased with their improved rifle marksmanship, and while the one rifleman present was a repeat rifleman from Davilla, Randall Williams, he did make a 244 this time and a great percentage of the shooters were in the 180-190-200 range.

This event also produced a good many valuable contacts that should help further the program in the coming days and months. Top and TexPirate were simply outstanding! They are both good men and great Patriots and Steve is a great host and a very valuable asset to the program.

I was happy with all who attended and look forward to seeing them again in the next few months at College Station and Davilla locations. Thanks to every Instructor and attendee in the country this last weekend, I am energized and strengthend by Americans answering the call of their country and pledging to stand together and help the program. God bless each and every one of the instructors and attendees from the April 19th events.

The pics are from Sunday, which was almost dry ;)
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

Aromatic

It was a little damp but still a good time.  Thank you Scout, Steve, Top, and TxPirate for putting together a great shoot.

Below are a few pictures from Saturday just to prove there was mud O0.

mrt53

Big thanks to Scout, Top and Txpirate. As they say "when the going gets tough the tough get going". Next shoot is May 30-31.

big 54r

I was at the CS AS shoot this past weekend and it was awesome!
I had a blast and learned alot. SCOUT, TOP and TX PIRATE where/are top notch.
I will be attending many more AS shoots until and after I make rifleman!
The facility was very good and can't thank Steve enough for providing a DAR for all of us to enjoy and learn on, thank you.
I and my BIL had to leave around 3pm on Sunday due to job related issue's but that did not detract from the experience at all, only made me hungrier for more! And i'm sure my BIL concurs.
The weather didn't bother me a bit and actually enjoyed the 'conditions' as it reminded me of the military.
The AS totally changed the way I have been shooting for the last 30+ years and it is for the better!
What I have been doing was working but this way is a better system and the correct way.
Know I have to go and re-sight in all my rifles the correct way... ;) <:) <:) **).
I am not in any of the pix but trust me I was there along with my BIL and his youngest son, we gotta get my 2 stepsons and his eldest to show up for our next AS shoot, hopefully the May 16/17 Davilla shoot or the next CS shoot which I hope will be soon!

As an aside, IT IS KNOW TIME FOR HOUSTON TO STEP UP!!! >:( 8) ::) <:) O0 We need a DAR in Houston ASAP!!!

I'll be looking for some donated land and owner so hopefully anyone in the Houston metro area will be also, or someone knows an landowner who is willing to donate some land space and we can get a DAR going... !@#) O0 <:)

BIGS>

Cherub Maker

Both myself, and my son had a wonderful time at the CS shoot. We plan on attending more. Unfortunatly we had to leave early on sunday, however it did not effect our experiance. I learned the propper way to shoot a rifle. A big thank-you to Scout, Top, Txpirate  O0 .. GOD BLESS AMERICA..

ezbuzzsaw

Scout thanks for the hospitality in Davilla, It was a great shoot there also. Whats a little rain for a groop of dedicated instructors and students. But that hot shower sure felt great Saturday night! Thanks Again Scout!
Shooting is when my sons start talking. The rest of the week they are teenagers!

rino451

I wasn't there for Saturday, but Sunday was a fabulous day of shooting!  Thanks to everyone who made the Appleseed happen. Special thanks to Steve for letting us use the land - his place is a peaceful, 1 hour drive through the country for me and actually a very pleasant trip.

I will definitely make more Appleseeds.  Hopefully, the proximity will help the wife and daughter decide to take the plunge soon.

Cheers!

CaptG

Thank You Steve, Scout, TxPirate and Top! Another great learning experience and the usual superb group of fellow Americans. Despite the well needed rain, the entire weekend was an absolute inspiration. Steve has built a great range in a beautiful setting. All of you Appleseeders out there need to come to this excellent location. Hopefully next time we can enjoy a nice campfire and dry feet.

O0 O0 O0

Guy
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

txpirate

I had a great time!! The spirit of the American people just fills me up at each Appleseed. It was like Scout talked about: There is always just this little doubt pre-Appleseed that these weekends could not keep being this great, or that the shooters there won't be the great American people I have met at every other Appleseed. And, each and every time, the weekend is as fantastic as could be, and the people are just are even more American than before. God, I love it. O0

Scout and Top, great job. I dont really know anything else to say because I always learn from the great jobs you guys always do.
Steve, your range is first-class, and you are a fantastic host. Thanks you
Captain, it was great to see you again. A patch is definitely in your immediate future.
Big, I had a fantastic time down on your's and Angell's end of the line on Sunday. I hope I didn't ride yall too hard. Keep working those 6 steps, but remember you have to think about 3, 4, and 5 at the same time. I'm sure there's a patch in your future.
Campbell, your honesty about the rifleman patch is something I won't ever forget. It is the high character like this that solidifies my faith in the American people.

I really appreciate each and every single shooter that came out because it is awake Americans like these individuals who can ensure that the liberty and way of life provided by our forefathers will continue.

Sadly, this is my last Texas Appleseed that I can plan on. I am graduating, getting married and moving to NC. Rumor has it that NC is the home of Texas-bashing, but hopefully I can counter with NASCAR jokes. ;D I hope to see you all again down the Appleseed Trail.

A rifleman perseveres.

big 54r

I met some very good people on the line at the AS in CS/Millican and I see several have posted here but other than Scout, Top and Tx Pirate I have no idea who these fine ladies and gentlemen where/are, so if at all possible i'd like for those that post here to make themselves know by either a pic or relating their position on the line or somehow making me remember who it was I was talking to during breaks.

I can still see all the faces from the class quite well but don't recall the names.

aromatic?
mrt53?
CaptG?

I know you guy's where there and we probably spoke.