News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Yanceyville April 18-19 AAR

Started by DuaneRN, April 20, 2009, 09:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuaneRN

Well, since there is silence so far on Yanceyville, I'll start.
The weather was perfect this time around in Y-ville versus last time when it snowed.  We got off to a very relaxed start on Saturday which kinda helped ease the shooters nerves.  The shooters were clearly getting the information because the groups were tightening up.  The shooters paid rapt attention to Bill when he presented the history on the first day and as always the story never fails to move people.  We shot some AQT's but didn't produce any Riflemen on the first day.  I believe we had 18 shooters the first day and lost a few and gained some for a second day tally of 16.  One the second day, we started with a review of the first day and began shooting sighter squares.  We then transitioned to the AQT grind and produced a WHOPPING 5 Riflemen that day.  There were at least two others that were scoring in the low 200's and would have made Rifleman had we used the 8mm rule.

It was great to see on the second day the alacrity with which people began handling their rifles.  Even if they didn't score Rifleman, they at least knew more than the population as a whole. I was also pleased to see a husband/wife fire team and plenty of parents bringing children to continue the heritage.

The staff and owners of Third Degree Tactical are true believers in the cause of Appleseed.  Not only did they let us use the range for free, not only did they give the instructors a FREE cabin to stay in, they want an Appleseed there every month.  I hope everyone that participated in an Appleseed there, takes the time to thank them and spread the word about their range that they are accepting members.

Brownells gave us a box of freebies that included one leather 1907 sling that was awarded to the highest AQT that day.  I wish I had been shooting.

Silence

I am not to good with the AAR thing.  So thanks Dwayne for posting. 

I had a great weekend instructing with DwayneH and Bulkhead. The shooters were great and took the instruction very well.  I think this is the best % of rifleman that I have seen so far.  5 out of 16 with 2 more scoring a 206.  Massive improvement by all. 

Thanks everyone for coming and participating, spread the work and work on that seventh step.  I would also like to thank the guys at Third Degree Tactical for there hospitality again. 

Silence
"The Price of apathy is to be ruled by evil men'  -- Plato

steves4570

A good time as always,came up short but I'll be back. Beside me on sunday was a father and son he may have been 9 or 10 and he was shooting very good and that made my day  O0 Can't wait till the next one Steve :~

Go 4 TLI

I hate to rain on the parade of five riflemen that weekend, but unfortunately it is only four. I thought I had scored a 210 on Sunday, but when I got my target back home and looked at it with a calmer head I saw that the scorer had made a mistake of three points in my favor. As much as I would like to say I scored rifleman on April 19, targets don't lie and I'm still in the kitchen.

But I did score a 204 and a 207, and believe me that's a vast improvement over my last Appleseed (Piru, CA last year). So I'll have to come back. Mechanicsville, VA just outside of Richmond on May 23 and 24 looks good.

Matt

Quote from: Go 4 TLI on April 21, 2009, 11:41:07 PM
I hate to rain on the parade of five riflemen that weekend, but unfortunately it is only four. I thought I had scored a 210 on Sunday, but when I got my target back home and looked at it with a calmer head I saw that the scorer had made a mistake of three points in my favor. As much as I would like to say I scored rifleman on April 19, targets don't lie and I'm still in the kitchen.

But I did score a 204 and a 207, and believe me that's a vast improvement over my last Appleseed (Piru, CA last year). So I'll have to come back. Mechanicsville, VA just outside of Richmond on May 23 and 24 looks good.
For consistency's sake, scoring is done with the .30 cal rule. If a shot would have broken the scoring line if it was a .30 caliber hole, it counts as the next higher score. Were you shooting a .22 or .223? That might be the source of the extra points.

I find it useful to check my targets and see what I scored with and without the .30 cal rule, then use that as the motivation for doing better next time. Sounds like you're plenty motivated, which is what we're after.
Liberty is my father, and he shall be my son.

DuaneRN

Double that on the .30 caliber rule.  Keep in mind that you are only in competition with yourself.  I have met many a rifleman who doesn't think he is a rifleman unless he scores with open sights.  The targets are often scored hurriedly and I always get a second opinion on the .30 cal rule if there is any question(and there were a few). That being said, I am guilty of making a few mistakes here and there.
If using the .30 cal rule, you still don't make 210, hang on to your patch. It sounds like you will need it soon.

Go 4 TLI

Nope. It's a math mistake which the .30 cal rule doesn't help.

And yes, I'll hang on to the patch. Next Appleseed (soon!) I'll relinquish in trust to the instructors with every intention of getting it back.

--HH

DuaneRN

Spoken like a true Rifleman!
The patch is earned, never given.

bulkhead

Attention, Attention, New IIT on board

Not only do we have some fine riflemen from our Yanceyville shoot, we can now say we have a new Instructor in Training.  SteveS4570 has agreed to wearing an Orange Hat.  Steve is a valuable addition to our local instructor team.  Everyone give him a big welcome. 

bulkhead
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'
Saucy Jack

SavageShootr

Great Job Silence and crew. WOW a shooter from Piru,CA to Yanceyville, then on to VA. Gotta love that. Another Appleseed Groupie. 

CONGRATULATIONS to the new Riflemen and the brand new IIT.  O0

HH you will make it soon, you are pounding on the door. Appleseeders are such honest people. Very impressive.

Thanks for the great report.

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete