News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

24Feb24 Laramie Wyo AAR

Started by M1bzrk, February 26, 2024, 11:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M1bzrk

Mon 26 Feb 2024 05:28:50 PM MST

24FEB24 AAR Laramie WYO Reschedule from 17Feb (I-80 closed)

0730 @ Laramie Rifle Range 25 degF and 20 wind. Regularguy and I started settingup.
Flags flapping!
0830 Fac et Spera and Jay fron SLC and John from Lander arrived and aided setup.
Jay had a bolt action .22  & John a 10/22.  Both scoped & GI slings.
Pledge, intros, Safety briefing, then Redcoats, 1-300, 1-200, &1-400 (IIT).  Good start.
Then dryfire intro & plenty of practice.
1230 Wind picking up.  Lunch in the Clubhouse (1st break),  Jacob did 1st Strike;
Demo-ed standing, transition ot sitting & prone w/green laser on  dummy rifle.
1340 Back on range.  More dryfire.  2nd Strike.  Live fire on greenies.  Shooters
doing very well and enthusiastic despite increasing wind (now blowing snow and grit).

1515 1st AQT Jay shot a respectable 155; John 220! This was their 1st AS...
Except for semi-pros, this was first time I awarded a Rifleman patch on 1st AQT.
1600 2nd AQT.  Scores slipped a few points for Jay using bolty; John 215.
End day, benediction, rescue flags, range cleanup, brief 7th steps.

Sunday 24Feb24  Temp a little warmer, wind gustier and higher.  Only put up 2 flags.
0800 Pretty much repeat of Sat.: Pledge, extra emphasis on Safety,  6 steps, NPOA, SHFs.
Dryfire, livefire on greenies standing & sitting.  One scope fell off rifle.  No
damage & great teaching moment.  Check your gear!
1000 15 warmup, then #3 AQT.  Had Jay shot sitting 5 n 5 stead of 2 n 8 , his score
would have been 205!  Another great teaching moment..
1130-1230 Early lunch.  Did 3rd Strike & showed Brown Bess
Back on range: dryfire, NPOA, livefire on greenies, ball and dummy.
1325 #5AQT
1400 Memorial Volley with steel plate.  Quite impressive.
1430 Dryfire, NPOA, greenie.
1500 #6AQT regularguy scores 241 in the blowing sand. (It was warming up) Well done, Jacob.
1530 #7 & final Aqt J shot 187.  Final RedCoat, cleanup, benediction & out the gate at 1700.
I have to say this was a most rewarding event.  Yes, numbers sucked, but quality and attitude
of both attendees and Instructors was superb.  Thank you, Jay, John, Jacob and Russ and of
course Laramie Rifle Range.  I think the 'J's will invigorate Lander and Utah!

LightningSnaps

Thank you so much for rescheduling the event. We both learned a ton and the quality of instruction was superb. Were you able to get everything sorted out with your truck?

regularguy

Thanks to Berk for making this happen and LRRC for hosting!
Had a great time with the shooters, very fun group.
Russ came by and helped making it great instructor to shooter ratio.
We had snow, average temp felt like 28 degrees F, winds were at full value from the time we put them out, consistently in the 30's gusting to 40's during Day 1 AQTs.

regularguy

more pics

JustKim

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR  That was some major wind! 

Looks like you had a heat wave come through around 3p  ;D

ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan