News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Memphis, TN - AAR – Feb 9, 2024 (One Day Pistol Clinic)

Started by Captain, February 15, 2024, 07:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain

Our third sold out event in 4 months! Thank you to Top Gun for welcoming Appleseed and inviting us to this incredible facility. We had a couple of returning shooters and a strong showing of shooters attending their first Appleseed Pistol Clinic. A huge thank you to Top Gun Memphis for hosting this event!

Old Navy Doc and TigerDriver got things off to a good start and it was smooth sailing though safety, the fundamentals of pistol shooting and then at lunch some stories from April 19th, 1775. The afternoon finished up the transition and one-hand shooting before everyone had a run at the Pistol Qualification Test (PQT). We had several shooters make the qualifying score right out of the gate. In addition to a couple more PQT attempts we finished up our story of April 19th and also ran a little unofficial competition. Congrats to Lawman for winning the Big Dot Little Dot Challenge and for posting the high score of the day on the PQT. Great shooting!

Now for a few pictures . . . . click to see them full size and click again shrink down.

Group Photo

It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. Samuel Adams
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

Captain

Here's a couple pictures I caught while Old Navy Doc was teaching . . .

. . . and photos of the guys getting their patches. Nice job!

There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

Old Navy Doc

This was a great event. The students were amazing and attentive. It was a delight to teach them, especially in a venue as fantastic as TopGun Memphis.
I can't wait to come back.
First AS: Ramseur 2/09
Rifleman: Charlotte 11/14
Orange Hat: Calera 1/15
KD Rifleman: Puryear 5/15
Red Hat: Sevierville  11/16
Rimfire KD: Huntsville 12/20
Pistoleer™: Huntsville 2/21

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."  Plato

Roswell

Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

RiverRat Rifleman

This was my first Appleseed Pistol Clinic which I attended with I my son.  As always Captain and Navy Doc did a great job with this event.  The pace of the class was perfect. We shot frequently but not so fast that you felt rushed loading mags and preparing for the strings of fire.  Shooters ranged from beginners to combative pistol instructors. Everyone improved over the day.  A couple of shooters were shooting a man's sized gun in 45ACP but most people shot 22LR.  The instruction was superb and the comradery amongst shooters and instructors made it a fun day.

We started with a Red Coat Targets 4 round in each of 3 progressively smaller tombstone shaped targets target and Pitcairn's button.  The button really is the size of a button.  I cleaned the regular tombstones but missed the button.  At the end of the day I hit the button, but choked on the smallest tombstone dropping 1 shot low.  (I made a rookie mistake looking over my sights to see if I had a hit which caused a low shot.) We went on to shoot dots which are a great marksmanship exercise.  We worked on trigger control, sight alignment, stance, and grip.  We shot PQT's and I scored a 219 despite not getting off all my rounds. 

I was most proud of my son who earned his Appleseed Pistol Clinic patch.  This was his first pistol class/competition and he soaked up the instruction and scored a patch.

If you have never shot a Appleseed Pistol Clinic, I highly recommend it.

Thanks again to Captain and Doc!  I look forward to the next event.

Rifleman (scoped) Memphis
Rifleman (open sights) Jackson
Morgan's Shingle Puryear
Known Distance Huntsville
Pistoleer™ Memphis

Guns&Hoses

I think a couple of these guys are trying to make a quilt if they can collect enough patches... **)
"Only those are fit to live who do not fear to die; and none are fit to die who have shrunk from the joy of life and the duty of life."
T Roosevelt

JustKim

Dang, they make that stuff look easy!  Great job everyone!
ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan