News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Evansville April 18-19 2009

Started by sur+rifle, April 19, 2009, 12:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sur+rifle

Just a short note to get things started.

What can you say about the most beautiful shoot day in the history of Evansville Appleseeds?  Forecasts called for rains throughout the day but not a drop landed until after we had packed up! Temperatures ranged from upper 50's to mid 70's.  It almost didn't seem right not having a thunderstorm. :))

We had 20 shooters on the line with about one fourth returning from previous shoots and three fourths new faces.  The highlight of the day was the adding of a Riflewoman!  Riflegirl, Instructor Mudcat's daughter, soared through to EARN her patch.  And there is now a rumor going around town about a potential orange hat in her near future (on a very appropriate day I might add). ;)   

While we had no other riflemen today, we have several knocking on the door looking forward to getting back on the line tomorrow.

Oh, and big kudos need to go to the crew from West Side Sportman's Club.  Not only did they allow us to use their range when they found out our prior location was unable to host due to delays in range construction, but they were already setting up the line for us when we arrived at 7:00 am.  True patriots each and every one.  O0

Mudcat

awell the saturday shoot was great couldn't ask for any better weather. 20 shooters on the line all ghreat people ready to learn, very receptive to the instruction given. 1 new Riflewoman, my daughter Riflegirl (13) with a 214 on the last AQT of the day. She had been practicing since her first Appleseed back in Oct. Her perseverance paid off for her. She also did decided to take on the orange hat with the first day on the job knowing the weather forcast. Then today at her first day as an IIT it poured all morning but it didn't slow anyone down. I really respect the guys shooting today that is perserverance at its best. But after lunch and a little Dangerous Old Men by myself and XDman the sun actually came out for a while. Back to shooting and with several of the 7 shooters knocking on the door Worksalot breaks through with a 224. We had our fair amount of cross target contamination but we worked through it. We have at least 6 guys that are in the 180-205 range, but ran out of time.

A Special thanks to the guys of West Side Sportsmans club for the use of their range when we had to hurry and find a different range due to some construction project at the original range. You guys have a very nice range.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Bill 3

Congrats on a great shoot and to the new Rifle(wo)men.  Also, a thank you to Riflegirl for taking the orange hat and the obligation to teach and inform, thus creating new riflemen.

WTG!

- WRWIII
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

hawkhavn

Congratulations to the new Riflemen and IIT from here as well!
I look forward to working the line with all of you soon.

Hawkhavn
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

sur+rifle

Hear, hear!  

It wouldn't be an Evansville shoot (or looking at the other AARs perhaps a Hoosier shoot!) without a steady downpour of rain, right?  How else are we to stock up on that famous ditch water?  ;)

Regardless it turned out to be a glorious day!  We were a little worried that the early downpour would dampen spirits and attendance.  But, as Mudcat points out, the shooters who returned for day two and the two new walk ons were troopers.  Every single one persisted and made steady progress throughout the day.  Enthusiasm was high and we can be sure they will be back for their rifleman patches!

Special thanks to PT6, Mudcat, XDman, Bull, and Riflegirl for their excellent instruction.  They worked well as a team and kept things humming.

Greg in MO

Congrats to Riflegirl!  I knew she had it in her...  Good job.

Greg

Hooters Billy

Very cool. Glad the WX turned out great for you.

HB
"There is no greater evil then willful ignorance," ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Advice on life from Fred himself to me on 6-21-09:
"If you hope to be a good looking corps, you better hurry up and die soon!"

CQ CQ CQ de KC9MTP

Mudcat

I wish I hadn't of forgot my camera we had some great kodak moments. The range had us using the cowboy town for signing in and eating lunch and the Lyan' Shack was a great place to have sign in with all kinds of neat little stuff hanging around for people to check out.
But the best was a guy from near Louisville that taped a water bottle on his shoulder for a stock extension. He knew what he needed to get the correct sight alaignment and sight picture and he adapted very well. The Guy would be proud.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

worksalot

Just wanted to drop a line and say Thank You once again for all of your help. The instruction was great and we certainly appreciated the one on one help you guys were able to give us just walking on Sunday. I was very proud to see the fine group of people willing to come out in some not so fine conditions to band together for a very worthy cause. I am looking forward to getting more involved with the organization as I further evolve my shooting skills to hopefully be able to lend the helping hand you all so very kindly extended to Dave and I on Sunday. I have issued a challenge to several other gentlemen at work this morning to qualify and spread the seed. PT6, Mudcat,XDman,Bull,Grasshopper,Sur+rifle. Thanks for all you did and all you do. Sometimes the very best jobs never pay a penny.
Sincerly,
   Worksalot
DO IT NOW OR WISH YOU HAD

sur+rifle

Quote from: worksalot on April 20, 2009, 12:43:19 PM
Just wanted to drop a line and say Thank You once again for all of your help.

Thank you, worksalot!  It was great having you and Dave on the line.  And thanks for all your help in recruiting new shooters! Please don't be a stranger.  Even if you decide to not immediately don the orange hat, we could use the help of positive people like you in other ways.

P.S. if Dave isn't on the forum, please tell him that he did great!  His groups were starting to come together as shown by his standing stage on the last AQT.

Kind regards,

Sur+

hawkhavn

Worksalot,

Did I talk to you prior to the shoot? Are you from Vincennes?

Ed
aka Hawkhavn

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

worksalot

Hawkhavn,
I am from Birdseye, In but if you are the man at the other end of the cell Number provided as an Indiana contact,yes. I was me that had called to see if I could come on Sunday because I couldn't get out of work on Saturday. Now my question is ...Was that you??
Thanks, Worksalot
DO IT NOW OR WISH YOU HAD

hawkhavn

Worksalot,

Yep, that was me, glad you could make it.  I usually make the E'ville shoots, so I'll catch up to you 'down the trail'.

Hawkhavn

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein