News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Littleton, NH January 20,21 2024

Started by 300berg, January 23, 2024, 11:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

300berg

<2024-01-20>

What is the second best thing about 6 degrees farenheit? 

It isn't wet.

What is the *best* thing about 6 degrees farenheit?

Being surrounded by patriots for a weekend of Marksmanship and Heritage.

NH Wyman provided a fire-ring to gather about as mmirate led the day with 1st Strike.

Huge improvement was made from our starting baseline, with all shot groups shrinking to 4-6 MoA by early afternoon.

For lunch, "Mrs. Berg" delivered the enormous pot of chili that HamGun prepared the day prior, while nhalan impressed us with Second Strike.

Saturday concluded with an AQT and 300berg's telling of 3rd strike.

<2024-01-21>

Exactly 248 years ago this month, in the dead of winter, one of the greatest feats
of military supply chain logistics of all time was accomplished:

Henry Knox's removal of 120,000 pounds of cannon from Fort Ticonderoga to the seige of Boston.
An epic journey of 300 miles, with some cannon weighing more than 5,000 pounds a piece!

SB 300berg wondered, what would that be like?  Could men today still accomplish such a task?

After polling the shooters' opinions, there was unanimous agreement that the Project
Applesed instructors present be given the honor of attempting to recreate Henry Knox's feat.

The nearest canon-sized object was lashed, and the men of New Hampshire pulled a multi-ton
object a modest distance.  Huzzah!

KevinNH and NH Wyman refreshed us on safety POIs, and we began our instruction on day 2.

A siginificant lesson from Saturday was that cold weather gear inhibits movement.  We performed
drills to practice efficient transitions to seated and achieve a first
shot time within 15 seconds were quite helpful.

Lunchtime brought us some Dangerous Old Men stories.  MattNH's second look at
Paul Revere as a super-hero was inspiring. 

Afternoon KD lesson, then putting it to work at 100 yards.  Trudging through the snow, we saw some of the best shot groups of the day.

Shooter Brent's change to 30cal M1A echoed heroically across the range; snow falling from trees with each reverberation.

With our final redcoat target Calvin recorded the first and only cleared target of the weekend.  Huzzah!

There were no "sunshine patriots" at this event.  As Daniel Webster wrote, "... up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."  I was proud to stand with them.

mr6actual

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."  "Nil desperandum, -- Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it." - Sam Adams

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: mr6actual on January 24, 2024, 11:48:34 AMLOVE the Knox Challenge!!!!!

maybe you can find a sand pit to re-enact it in  ;D

Great job, New Hampshire! 
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Cleveland

The highest level of mastery is simplicity. Most information is irrelevant and most effort is wasted, but only the expert knows what to ignore. James Clear

Rifleman 19April2015
KD Qualified 17Oct2015
Pistoleerâ„¢ 12Dec2020
KD Requal 11Nov2021 50/50
Pistol IBC/Charter Pistol Instructor Antioch 2-22
200y RKD Qualified 14May2022

JustKim

Can I just say -- I think you are all CRAZY!!!   %)

Seriously -- it looks like a fantastic time!
ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan

upacreek

This sounds like an awesome and fun shoot.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Brent1775

This was my first appleseed event.  Thanks to all the instructors for putting on a great event.  I was taught the fundamentals of shooting and learned alot.  I hope to spend some time at the range practicing and improving my new skills.  Appleseed is a great program.

LadyRimfire

Looked like it was an awesome event! That chili probably really hit the spot.
Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

T. WOLF

Haha this is great, looks like a fun one! :beer:
"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leaders, and concerting measures in opposition to each other." ~John Adams 1780