News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Lafayette, IN 4/18-4/19

Started by Bill of Rights, April 18, 2009, 11:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill of Rights

WOW!

We arrived this morning at a range that the homeowner had set up on his own property. The range was nicely set up even as-is, though I hasten to note that he told me his future plan is a covered line with benches, concrete, etc. I think we are going to be well-spoiled here!

JohnnyAppleseed, Tracer Fire, and I met brokensling, .5, and Hooters Billy, who were camping at the site and we began admin, getting the shooters in, set up, and through safety. At one point during the day, I counted 27 shooters. We had only one unintended discharge, however it was in a safe direction, just prior to a "fire" command, and was quickly investigated and dismissed as a simple "too-early" trigger squeeze. The rest of the day was mainly uneventful....

....if you can call four Riflemen and three orange hats uneventful!  O0 O0 O0

Fred sent us only those three orange hats and only six Rifleman patches; clearly, Indiana 'seeds will need to be sent more!

All in all, a great day-Can't wait to run out of patches tomorrow!

Many thanks to JohnnyAppleseed, Tracer Fire, Brokensling, Hooters Billy, .5, and most especially our Rifleman (and new orange hat) land owner for building the DAR and proving that in Appleseed as in baseball, "if you build it, they will come!"

Congratulations to our three Riflemen and one Riflewoman (as opposed to RifleWoman! ;)) so far-looking to add more tomorrow!

Blessings,
Bill

If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom,go from us in peace.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you.May your chains sit lightly upon you,& may posterity forget that you were our countrymen! Sam Adams

hawkhavn

Sweet!  Please pass along my heartfelt thanks and congratulations to Jared!

Hawkhavn
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

RifleWoman

Oh... I thought you were congratulating me  :-[  Darn.  But then I just sat here at my computer wondering where everybody was today.  ;D  You might say my spirits have been dampened this weekend here in CO.  Many road closures, winter storm warnings.  Kind of a bummer.  Glad you had a great event today.  Glad somebody is finially on the forum telling me what's going on.  ;)
Many hands make light work and easy bailing.

Bill of Rights

Aww, RifleWoman, you have our congratulations in addition to our undying thanks for making these things happen! Hitting all the pre-reg stuff in addition to everything else you do... not to mention, you know, having a life... That takes someone special!

Take good care, k? And as for the nasty weather... this, too, shall pass!

Blessings,
Bill
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom,go from us in peace.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you.May your chains sit lightly upon you,& may posterity forget that you were our countrymen! Sam Adams

SavageShootr

CONGRATULATIONS to ALL of the Rifle(wo)men!! 

You guys are doing a great job in IN.

Keep up the good work.  O0

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

Bill of Rights

To Johnny Appleseed, Tracer Fire, Brokensling, Hooters Billy, and the very capable .5, the instructors at the April 18-19, 2009 shoot, I would like to again offer my heartfelt thanks and appreciation for a job well done.

To the landowner and his working team, who may identify themselves if they choose to do so, my thanks for a well-built range and a well, if hastily-built shelter from the elements today. I would like to note that unasked, and in true Rifleman spirit, they used materials on hand to construct a covered line which kept some shooters there who might otherwise have chosen to depart. I know that the marksmanship was excellent down the line, as is evidenced by:

My thanks most especially to our 27 shooters from the first day, at least 14 of whom returned for the second, and of those numbers, the four Riflemen mentioned above and the five new Riflemen made today. Of those nine (presuming I've forgotten no names;with so many, we kinda lost track!) total Riflemen plus our landowner who had already shot Rifleman back in October 2008, we finished out the weekend with nine (one Rifleman from yesterday has not yet agreed to accept the responsibility of the orange hat) new IITs as well! One of them is age 14!

Note to Fred: Never, ever underestimate Indiana. ;) We'll need more patches and hats next time around!
Do we get our rockers now?  O0

I have attached five pictures of the line; The first two were taken yesterday, prior to any shooting by Appleseeders. The latter three show the shelter being built.

This DAR and the family that built it SO ROCK!!!

Blessings,
Bill

Bill 3

I need to repeat BoR's initial sentiment - WOW!

This weekend was the kind that affirms my decision to get involved with Appleseed.  The range that was setup prior to arriving was go to go.  There was no setup required.  A heartfelt thanks goes out to JohnnyAppleseed, Tracerfire, Hootersbilly, Bill of Rights and .5.  Was fantastic to work with them all.  I hadn't seen Tracerfire since I attended my first Appleseed this weekend last year and  have now met JA and BoR for the first time.  It was a pleasure.

More importantly, the people that came to shoot and to learn.  They came with open hearts, warm spirits, and a teachable attitude.  It was a pleasure to work with, talk with, and find a commonality of cause with each and every one of you.

Congratulations to the 9 new riflemen, those close to it, and all of you for working hard and improving.

A special thank you needs to go out to Jared and his wife for their hospitality, and a fantastic weekend; and the 9 new orange hats taking up the call.  I very much look forward to working with you in the future.

P.S. - One of these times, I am going to get a picture of Hootersbilly "skipping" to the target line with a group of teenage girls.  I never seem to have a camera handy when I catch it.

Thank you all...
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

sur+rifle

Congratulations all!  What a wonderful event.  And what an excellent example of the spirit of April 19, 1775 shown by the homeowner who offered up the land for this shoot.  Thank you!

Hooters Billy

A big thanks to everyone that came down to help instruct and to those who came down to learn. I had a wonderful time working with all the other instructors and students. Thanks so much to the property owners again for setting us up and to Eric and Greg for doing a lot of the labor. Let me know the next time you guys are up north and I'll buy you dinner.

The group that showed up was just spectacular. They had lots of energy and it brought the giddy out of me. I hope they enjoyed instruction and my antics as much as I enjoyed giving them.

Also, can the folks from the top half of the State shoot or what? 9 riflemen, maybe 10 out of 27 shooters! It was happening so fast and often we where loosing track! Good thing we have it down on paper somewhere. That is at least a 33% conversion rate of cooks to Riflemen. Only in IN folks! I have had no chance to check how everyone else did, but that has to be a record. Johny Appleseed looked like he was walking around in shock from seeing the pace we where able to keep while grinding out squares and AQT's while pumping out Riflemen like it was our job!  Wait..... it is our job! I guess we did it good the, LOL. I think he also almost fainted when the greatest of suprise's kept happening all day of him having to constantly run back to his car to grab orange hats for all the new Riflemen that decided to take up the call and help in the cause. All but 1 new Rifleman took the orange hat. If I remember correctly, that made 9. A 90% conversion of of Riflemen to IIT's, that has to be another record again.

What an amazing weekend with what has to be record smashing %'s AND OR straight #'s. Everyone in Texas could you please remove your hats and take a step back cause I'm saying it loud and I'm saying it proud:

"Don't mess with Indiana!"
"There is no greater evil then willful ignorance," ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Advice on life from Fred himself to me on 6-21-09:
"If you hope to be a good looking corps, you better hurry up and die soon!"

CQ CQ CQ de KC9MTP

Uncle Red

Looking on with great intent, I watch the scoring process of my most recent AQT.  "221", says he.  "Woo Hoo!" exclaims I.  I never really minded cooking, but now I'm a Rifleman!

I've been a self-taught shooter/hunter for over 30 years.  Before my introduction to Appleseed, I had never had any real rifle training.  What I saw in The Appleseed Project was more than just my own personal improvement.  It was also a way for me to teach my beautiful wife and my three sons about my love of the shooting sports.  Little did I know, that I would be transformed into a Patriot.

I'm looking forward to receiving my patch as well as my orange hat.  Now the real work begins.  I also look forward to working on the front lines of the soft war that is unfolding around us.  To quote:

"[T]he hour is fast approaching, on which the Honor and Success of this army, and the safety of our bleeding Country depend. Remember officers and Soldiers, that you are Freemen, fighting for the blessings of Liberty - that slavery will be your portion, and that of your posterity, if you do not acquit yourselves like men."  -George Washington, General Orders, 23 August 1776

It took two Appleseed shoots for me to achieve one of my goals.  I look forward to many more shoots to help forge more rifleman as a means of taking back the liberty that is rightfully ours.

-UR

Mudcat

Congratulations to all the new Riflemen and woman. Also WELCOME to all the new fellow IITs it is a great sense of accomplishment to earn your own Rifleman patch but to help another is even a greater experience to me. I especially like to talk to them about history and watch their eyes looking down in wonder as to "why were we never taught this in school".

A special thanks to the land owners for allowing us to bring heritage and marksmanship back to some other Americans on such a special weekend.

Indiana is looking good!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

ATM

This was my first full Appleseed. However, I had a huge head start by attending a one day "mini" provided by DaveD and Hawkhavn down at Cloverdale (thanks guys!)

Saying that this weekend was impressive is just a complete understatement.

Our hosts, their hospitality, dedication and the range they have built...
The combined level of instruction, personal attention and historical insight...
The positive attitudes and eagerness of the students...
The excitement of every improved course of fire, new qualifications and the offers to step up and help...
The camaraderie, respect and friendships which formed in such a short time...
I was and remain inspired! Thanks and blessings to you all.

I am stepping further into the heritage reserved for me at great cost by brave patriots and secured by those who instruct us to never forget. I know what I am about.

I look forward to working with you all soon.

Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

SavageShootr

Great report. What a beautiful location!! Now I see what JA was talking about.

CONGRATULATIONS to the TEN new Riflemen who shot the RM score and to the like minded people who, I'm certain, applauded their accomplishments. GREAT JOB!!

WELCOME new IIT's, ALL NINE of you!!! IN is in good hands.

Thanks for the report and the pictures. It is awesome to see people working together.

~SS

"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

zombiehunter

Having grown up a Hoosier, I gotta say, "Damn fine job Indiana!"  O0  10 new Riflemen is fantastic! 

Oh, and heads up: we've sent our Colorado Patriot's Day Blizzard your direction.  It should be there in a day or so!  **)
Join the Nebraska Firearms Owners Association! http://www.nebraskafirearms.org/

Patriot

This was my second Appleseed and i want to thank everyone for there supports in helping me achieve rifleman. Never give up. Now i am looking forward to our next shoot. Or should I say school. As it is truly a learning experience. I am happy to report I have 6 new recruits ready for the next shoot. I know it is Jared's goal too, to have another sold out event.
It was a lot of work but well worth the time and energy it took to create a great teaching environment. I hope everyone else learned as much as i did.
My son wife and daughters have not stopped talking about the event.
I have to say this program re-affirmed in me the pride of being an American. 

Johnny Appleseed it was a pleasure and i am sure i speak for the rest when i say thanks to you and the rest of your team.  Bill of rights, Hooters Billy and Broken sling and all the others.

Thank you

Patirot

Patriot

Old Glory!

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

AFTERMATH

Exceptional work guys and gals!
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

T-Bolt

I would like to start by thanking all the volunteers that came to our house last weekend to teach the skills of a rifleman.  Because of your diligence and devotion we now have 10 new members of the rifleman family and 9 new IITs. 

I'd also like to thank everyone who came to our shoot with a teachable attitude.  I think everyone left with something- whether it was a rifleman patch or a new level of skills- we all improved.   

This was a test for us to see how well the weekend went to determine if we wanted to do more and how many.  All the shooters were very respectful of our property and of the range rules.  After much discussion with my wife and those in attendance, I don't believe that the weekend could have gone any better.  Because things went so well, we are discussing the possibility of 3 additional shoots and several mini shoots. 

T-bolt
Jared Harrington

Bill 3

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

colycat

OK, in CA, Johnny Appleseed, might get 2 rifleman out of 27.  But Knowing Him,  he might pass out 5 orange hats.  He IS the best judge of character that I have ever seen.

Great Job to all!  Lots of you were at the Pappys IBC, and it shows.  Thanks for make the instructors at the IBC proud.

Coly
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

hawkhavn

T-Bolt,

Thank you for hosting this shoot!  I am very glad, but not surprised, at your range hosting experience.  From all indications it was a spectacular weekend.  You were the first family in Indiana to step forward and offer their land for a shoot, thank you for the investment and sacrifice of your time, money and material.

Should you decide to move forward with more shoots, you will find a ready team to assist in 'bailing'.

Hawkhavn
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

T-Bolt

I just finished reading lots of AAR's and I must say that we must have had some great instructors because no one else got close to:

37% RM and 33% IIT

Just wait and see what we can accomplish this year. I have a personal goal of 100 RM from my property in 2009. With the help of all of you as well as the new IIT's from this weekend it should be no problem. I look forward to working with all of you soon.

Uncle Red

Quote from: T-Bolt on April 22, 2009, 09:28:30 PMBecause things went so well, we are discussing the possibility of 3 additional shoots and several mini shoots.

If you need any more encouragement or help to make this happen, ... count me in!   O0

-UR

dragonfly

Congrats to the new Rifle(wo)men and thanks to the new orange hats for stepping up. Way to go Indiana.

See you on the trail.
dragonfly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Bill of Rights

Quote from: T-Bolt on April 22, 2009, 09:28:30 PM
I would like to start by thanking all the volunteers that came to our house last weekend to teach the skills of a rifleman.  Because of your diligence and devotion we now have 10 new members of the rifleman family and 9 new IITs. 

I'd also like to thank everyone who came to our shoot with a teachable attitude.  I think everyone left with something- whether it was a rifleman patch or a new level of skills- we all improved.   

This was a test for us to see how well the weekend went to determine if we wanted to do more and how many.  All the shooters were very respectful of our property and of the range rules.  After much discussion with my wife and those in attendance, I don't believe that the weekend could have gone any better.  Because things went so well, we are discussing the possibility of 3 additional shoots and several mini shoots. 

T-bolt
Jared Harrington

Quote from: brokensling on April 22, 2009, 09:42:10 PM
Sign me up...... O0
Agreed. Sign me up. I am SO there!

I was very pleased to have a great range and even better people there for my first Appleseed as an instructor. I am even more pleased to hear that everyone was as respectful as it looked like they were. Jared, you guys were wonderful hosts and I look forward to working with you again in the future.

Blessings,
Bill

Eagle Scout

Hey T-Bolt, I would love to help in any way I can with future events so keep us all posted! I had a blast and was thrilled to see so many make RM (myself included) and also so many wanting to do the IIT thing. So of course I had to join in! I hope I can actually get some of my friends to show next time.  8)
Be Prepared.