News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hartford, Ct. 4/18-19 - AAR

Started by kDan, April 20, 2009, 07:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kDan

awright - let's get this thread started, get the news out there and hand it off to anybody who can still keep their eyes open, then I'm'a sleep for a weeeek.  I'll be back with pics and a short video when they arrive via the e-mail (I forgot my camera). 

Stats...

Me, MikeP from New Jersey, and SeanO from Maine

33 shooters Saturday
25 Sunday when we started, 19 at the last Red Coat
484 rounds of aimed fire over the two days
8 Riflemen

8 Rifleman!  That's over 25% anyway you look at it.  Fred, I need more patches!  And hey hey hey!, NYC has it's second and only it's second Rifleman, and both qualifying on the same Russian Bolt Gun!  No, not a mosin - we're whimps remember?  400 million people in the naked city and only two of them bailing, what a shame.  Let's see what we can do about that, Duke!  We also picked up at least 3 (three) IIT's with two be-spectacled and bearded Daves, and one Len stepping up to take the hat...  (gotta send Len a hat)  o heck let's say at least 4, because if Rob won't take it, then I know Tackleberry will.  Tack said to me before he left last night, "I don't want to be an instructor, but just let me know if you need any help, you know with safing the line and helping out and stuff.  I'll come out to any events you got around here"  And he doesn't want the hat...  okay Mark O0    Yeah, we'll let ya know...   **)     By the way, you left one shot outside the black on the sitting stage of that last target.  You should see what you can do about that.  The idea is to put them ALL in the black.  Remember, by the numbers...  the only shot that counts is the one you're about to fire...  get that knee up...  don't drag wood...  get your NPOA...

Actually, a couple more of the Riflemen expressed an interest in stepping up.  Here's to ya folks!

Check out these numbers!  On the initial RedCoat Saturday morning, out of 33 shooters we had:

100 yard shooters  -  18
200 - 6
300 - 4
400 - 2
Head Shot - 6
1 Cleaned Target

On Sunday night, with only 19 shooters (!) we had:
100 - 16
200 - 15
300 - 11
400 - 4
Head Shot - 6
2 Cleaned Targets

Is that improvement?  Jeez - I don't know...  New England still has shooters!  And these folks were receptive.  We had a few pretty hard-core shooters at this event, and each one of them was ready and anxious to learn what Appleseed had to offer.

In addition to our 8 Riflemen, we have six new RWVA members!  And I sold out of all my ovals. These people were psyched!  I think everybody had a great time.  Personally, this was the most satisfying AS I have ever been involved in.  And the cowboy action guys next door playing beethoven on those cast-iron fry-pan targets was music to my ears, even though I couldn't hear our own 30 cals half the time.  Plus, to top it off, the hot dog cart at Hartford Gun Club, makes a meeeean cheeseburger.  I love that white american cheese.  Thanks again, Tom.

We made the volley happen.  It was amazing!  I'm not usually one to get choked up, but it was like I had vaseline on my glasses when we finished and it came time to congratulate all our shooters for making History.

Big thanks and props to SeanO and MikeP, IIT's extra-ordinaire.  This was a very good shoot!  Those 8 shooters didn't make Rifleman on their own...  well, at least not all of them.  Nice work, fellas. 
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

dsm

One be-spectacled and bearded Dave here, and I'd like to add to kDan's last point, and bounce it back at him, too.

I came to the Hartford Appleseed with a new LTR, my first rifle, with which I had a total of two or three hours of experience. Late Saturday afternoon, after all the instruction and drills, I shot Rifleman on my first AQT attempt, doing so even with only 9 shots taken in the last stage, because I mis-counted.

I came back Sunday with a Mini 14 I had just bought and never shot before at all, not even sighted in yet, and shot Rifleman several more times that afternoon using it.

None of that says anything about me, except perhaps that I came prepared to learn.

But it speaks volumes about the quality of these instructors, and the program itself.

In my own experience, I'd like to especially tip my hat to SeanO. He happened to be the instructor most often working the end of the line I was on and gave me many helpful nudges and words and greatly helped contribute to my success. But it's obvious from the number of Riflemen at the event that the same kind of guidance was spread across the rest of the line as well. What a great team.

As I looked around at the event, at both the instructors and the other participants, I realized that these are the kind of people I want to be associated with. So when kDan offered the orange hat, I had little hesitation in taking it. I certainly have a long ways to go in my own development, but I am pround to be here and eager to continue to learn and hopefully help others.

LKB3rd

Len here.
Great weekend, weather wise, people wise, instruction wise. 
Made some new friends, got a ton of great instruction, and practice.
Thanks to Dan, Sean, and Mike, and everyone who attended.  I will be participating in one way or another(attendee, IIT, ... both) in the future, and hope to see some familiar faces again.

kDan

Len,

You reach out to Nickle yet?  Either way, I'm gonna pm him your info.  He can authorize you on the instructor pages and get you started on the trail.  Check out new post by "the Guy" (master instructor) welcoming all our new IIT's.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=6781.0

I'm still waiting for the photos from folks who had cameras.

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

CortJestir

Todd reporting in. Thanks, Dan, Mike and Sean for an informative, entertaining, and great all-around experience this past weekend. I've been talking Appleseed up to all my gunny friends and have generally been pretty fired up since Sunday afternoon. I'm going down a rabbit hole on this one.  ;D

I can't wait for the next Appleseed in CT to turn my 178 high score into 210 or higher... In the meantime, I've placed an order for some QnD AQTs and I'm on the hunt to find a range that'll let me practice properly around me. I just may have to practice standing position only for a little while at my regular indoor range.

Did I hear that a new Appleseed is in the works for the Metacon Gun Club soon?
CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

Buzzworth

Quote from: CortJestir on April 21, 2009, 08:53:55 PM
Todd reporting in. Thanks, Dan, Mike and Sean for an informative, entertaining, and great all-around experience this past weekend. I've been talking Appleseed up to all my gunny friends and have generally been pretty fired up since Sunday afternoon. I'm going down a rabbit hole on this one.  ;D

I can't wait for the next Appleseed in CT to turn my 178 high score into 210 or higher... In the meantime, I've placed an order for some QnD AQTs and I'm on the hunt to find a range that'll let me practice properly around me. I just may have to practice standing position only for a little while at my regular indoor range.

Did I hear that a new Appleseed is in the works for the Metacon Gun Club soon?
A little bird told me something about Colebrook CT in Aug
is Bennington VT too far? 6\20 weekend
Check the schedule Proctor near Rutland VT in May Between Bennington & Proctor we have one a month through September  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

don't wait get on the trail :)

Hot Dog cart Indeed  ::)
Ah the Jewel of Hartford Range Spoiled rotten I love that place  ;)

No Guns, No safety, No freedom
KNOW Guns, KNOW Safety, KNOW FREEDOM

kfish

this appleseed was my first but deff. not my last.  a month ago i didnt know what this was all about other than my father showed an interest and i figured i would tag along and keep him company.  i am officially hooked and cant wait for another one in ct or surrounding area for me to attend.  i was able to pull off a rifleman score on the second to last aqt and missed by 5 points on my last one.  a huge thank you to the intstuctors for sharing their knowledge of shooting and the history of our great country.  even with them being out numbered each one seemed to be able to give me some input through out the weekend on things for me to work on.  this has been all i talked about the last few days and have about a half dozen people showing interest to attend the next shoot. also want to thank my dad for getting me involved.  if people will be camping and help is needed for the next ct shoot or surrounding area let me know and i will bring the marshmallows.

kDan

b-dub you got a problem with us having a hot dog cart?  We also had cowboys and an ambulance!  That's right, an ambulance.  I called the local ems on Thursday before the shoot to tell them about us and the guy who answered the phone was a police firearms instructor!  He dispatched an ambulance to the range for both days.

Some advice...  if you have an ambulance come to your shoot, tell the range boss first so he doesn't step out the blue john and have a heart attack.  Sorry, Tom.  Said he was about to put down his keys and sneak of through the woods until he noticed the driver's feet sticking out the window and that the lights were off.  It was a nice feeling to see those boys behind the shed, though, I tell you what.  Thanks, Chris - If you ever see this.  I gave him a bunch of hand-outs and he says he'll make it out to a shoot.  Got his e-mail address somewhere.  Man, so many people want to get involved.  Thank god my business has tanked and I got no work, or I wouldn't be able to do this full-time.  Could use some money though.  Any ranges hiring?

Kfish...  i have an orange hat and a sharpie.  I've already put a k on it, and I don't need an orange hat.  Do you?  We can use you, bro.  Step up - take the cap.  We can use some young blood.  Us old b@$t@rds can't do it all by our selves.  Just ask your dad what he thinks.  Either way, nice shooting bro.
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

CortJestir

Thanks Buzzworth. VT may be a trek, but MA and RI are pretty easy for me. I'll have to look at the schedule...

So I guess we were kinda spoiled at this AS, huh? Hot dogs, cowboys, an EMS, perfect weather and a great range. They're not all like this?  :))

SeanO

Good morning, everybody!

Just got home to Maine last night and am semi-wrecked.  I hate driving, and wouldn't do it except for family and Appleseed, which is beginning to be the same thing.

I'm going back to beddy-bye shortly, but not before congratulating everyone for the great shoot at Hartford.  The energy level - physical and mental - was A-mazing.  So much so that we never experienced the usual Sunday afternoon letdown.

I'm totally psyched over the number of Riflemen and the great improvement that everyone else made over the weekend.  I see this as a wonderful start for a lot of people toward becoming AS instructors.  I saw some great enthusiasm that really made my weekend.

Dave!  Dude!  I'm aghast!  I had no idea that you had so little prior experience!  I was especially impressed by your quiet, single-minded demeanor which is going to translate wonderfully into your career as an instructor.  Rifleman on the first try.  Ridiculous, man!

To the rest of you - I want to drive home the point that Dave brought the proverbial teachable attitude to the shoot.  He's another great reminder that that's what it takes to succeed on the range and in life.

And, yes, I want to thank the Animal House gang for giving me the great opportunity to sharpen my 'ragging' techniques.  Now get rid of those bellies, practise the 6 steps, dry-fire at least 15 minutes at least 3 times a week, get out to the range, and hit those black squares.  We need you to shape up and get out on the Appleseed Trail.  No Ifs, Ands or Buts....

And finally, this was my first experience as an instructor.  I thank all of you for making it so memorable.

All the best,  Sean O'
If you can't find a way, make one.

CortJestir

Len,

I saw Arnie today at CT Sporting Arms and we got to chatting about Appleseed. He said you stopped in the other day as well. I mentioned that I may talk to Dave over at Blue Trail to see if we can get an Appleseed going over there. I think there are a lot of folks from SoCT that will step up to the firing line. He mentioned you were going to try to do the same thing.

We can coordinate efforts and try to get things going!! Let me know how I can help in any way.

PM me and we can get in touch.

Todd

p.s. sorry for hijacking this AAR, but figured other folks reading this may want to know that there's another CT AS in the works!!  O0

kDan

Quote from: CortJestir on April 22, 2009, 05:27:31 PM

p.s. sorry for hijacking this AAR, but figured other folks reading this may want to know that there's another CT AS in the works!!  O0

Todd...  DUDE!!!

If you're talking AS, in ct with folks you met at this event...  you have hi- jacked nothing. 

Still waiting for photos.  looked at range in pa today.  writing on phone.  seanO, the driving...  I hear you bro... 
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Nickle

Quotep.s. sorry for hijacking this AAR, but figured other folks reading this may want to know that there's another CT AS in the works!!

Seeing that this is a CT AAR, it isn't off topic, and even if it was, it's an OK place to announce that.

Now, get the preliminary info to Dwarven1, centerpunch and SavageShootr, by PM, so they can get it in the works.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

CortJestir

<:) I'll head up to Blue Trail tomorrow if I get my work done in the morning and see if the owner is amenable. Arnie at CT Sporting Arms, a store in East Haven, is super excited about the Appleseed Project, even though he has never been to one yet. He's promised promotion at his store and any other help he can muster to get folks on the firing line (including shutting his store down for the weekend so he and his employees can go!  O0). If David at Blue Trail is OK with it, this could be very viable indeed!

Len, haven't heard from you yet. I'll try you on PM, but if you've already talked to Dave at Blue Trail, give us an update when you can so our efforts aren't crossed, Many thanks, friend.

dwarven1

Quote from: CortJestir on April 23, 2009, 06:37:01 PM
<:) I'll head up to Blue Trail tomorrow if I get my work done in the morning and see if the owner is amenable. Arnie at CT Sporting Arms, a store in East Haven, is super excited about the Appleseed Project, even though he has never been to one yet. He's promised promotion at his store and any other help he can muster to get folks on the firing line (including shutting his store down for the weekend so he and his employees can go! 

I, for one, think that a picture of the sign that he's gonna have to put in his store window, would be worth 10,000 words!!

Can you see it? "Gun Store closed so we can go to the Appleseed Shoot"!!  :o
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

crak

Excellent.  And no need to wait another year to use Hartford Gun Club, btw.  We should give the manager there a call and set up another shoot a few months from now.  We pretty much have a green light, and you guys sold that one out super fast.
Check your drama at the door.

kDan

Crak,

Tom and I are starting on the next one already. 

Here are some riflemen.  I'm pretty sure everybody got the North Bridge Water Treatment from SeanO but can't find the Daves getting wet. 

Special thanks to Judy and Suzannah for the camera work.

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

crak

Haha, welcome to the ranks of the bearded, Dan! ;D

kDan

Yeah, thanks Crak...  Shaggy Shoot Boss club.  Check back when it's 80 degrees.

I am having a heck of a time trying to post the rest of these photos...  think I've gotta resize the one's that were taken with the second camera.

I'll get back to this later.  Right now I gotta catch a plane.  See ya next week!
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

kDan

HA!  I can get some more of them on here, but at least 2 will have to wait until I can mess with them...

This is Len, he's an IIT now...   Thanks for stepping up, Len!

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

kDan

and here's Kevin, and Rob - our second NYC Rifleman. 

Congratulations to everybody!

Thanks again, Judy and Suzannah!

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

LKB3rd

Quote from: CortJestir on April 22, 2009, 05:27:31 PM
Len,

I saw Arnie today at CT Sporting Arms and we got to chatting about Appleseed. He said you stopped in the other day as well. I mentioned that I may talk to Dave over at Blue Trail to see if we can get an Appleseed going over there. I think there are a lot of folks from SoCT that will step up to the firing line. He mentioned you were going to try to do the same thing.

We can coordinate efforts and try to get things going!! Let me know how I can help in any way.

PM me and we can get in touch.

Todd

I stop in there all the time, Arnie is great, and is definitely up for helping to promote, coordinate an Appleseed locally.  He and I had planned to attend one together, but I didn't hear about the Hartford one until last minute, and showed up as a "standby".  He has been talking about one at Blue Trail, but I read that they are too expensive (doesn't surprise me, they have had a TON of legal troubles lately, and can barely stay in business from the costs).   

LKB3rd

Quote from: kDan on April 24, 2009, 01:53:20 PM
HA!  I can get some more of them on here, but at least 2 will have to wait until I can mess with them...

This is Len, he's an IIT now...   Thanks for stepping up, Len!

So let me get this straight...  Sean poured water on my head "for the picture" and the picture doesn't show him doing that?  I got suckered!!   **)  Just kidding, thanks for posting the pic for my archives, and for capturing a nice moment.

I hadn't checked on this thread for a few days, cortjestr, I'll msg you about doing some local scouting for host ranges.  I didn't go to Blue Trail because of the thread I read earlier that said it had been tried with them, and they "priced themselves out."
There are a few clubs, New Haven Sportman's club (where Arnie is a member, and I will be shortly) and some others we can think about.

SeanO

Hey!

Great to see your name up there with the title "Instructor in Training."

Amen, amen, I say unto you, Go forth, get your own supply of Holy Water and baptize multitudes of Riflemen.

And remember, Gatorade is not an acceptable substitute.

Wishing you and all the other IIT's the very best in your new careers.

Sean O'

If you can't find a way, make one.

Buzzworth

Sorry for the hijack
However an Appleseed event does not need a "Range" we can hold them on private property that has a suitable back stop and big enough for a firing line and equipment area  O0

Unless CT law would prohibit such a thing @&)  !@#)

However all pale in comparison to the "Ritz" that the Hartford Gun Club is  :)
No Guns, No safety, No freedom
KNOW Guns, KNOW Safety, KNOW FREEDOM

LKB3rd

There aren't laws against it, in towns which don't have ordinances against firing a gun within city limits, but I don't know of any private land where there is enough room, and neighbors who won't complain about the noise.  Ranges and clubs don't get noise complaints because everyone in the areas know they are there, and won't wonder why there are 30 rifles all firing at once and panic lol.

crak

Just schedule them every month at Hartford.   ;)

Nickle

Quote from: crak on April 26, 2009, 01:29:51 PM
Just schedule them every month at Hartford.   ;)

That's the best idea. If not EVERY month, then every other month, and rotate months with another club.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

kDan

Quote from: LKB3rd on April 25, 2009, 09:33:13 AM

So let me get this straight...  Sean poured water on my head "for the picture" and the picture doesn't show him doing that?  I got suckered!!   **)  Just kidding, thanks for posting the pic for my archives, and for capturing a nice moment.

Len,

That was the picture I was sent by our intrepid photographer.  I told her to send me the best ones, and i think this one shows your eyes. 

We can definitely get another one at Hartford.  I talked to Tom about it.  Howeverrrrr... there real busy all summer, every weekend pretty much, soooo...  it looks like the fall.  I will call him this week and see what is acting. 

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout