News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Davilla Camping

Started by spitstickler, April 16, 2009, 06:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitstickler

I searched for this information and sent an email and pm to scout. I know he's a busy guy, but I hadn't heard back yet, so I thought I'd post here since the weekend is approaching quickly.

Is it okay to show up Friday (tomorrow night) and pitch a tent? Or is camping for Saturday night only? I would rather get out of town early and get on down there if it's not pouring rain. Fresh air is a good thing. :D
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

CaptG

I can't speak for Scout, but we showed up Fri Pm for the Dec AS with a few others. Get there before dark & they'll probably even put youto work.
G
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

alonso1

Friday will be fine.  I plan to be there around noon tomorrow.

There will be at least 50 shooters over the weekend, I could use some help setting up the range so come early and bring a friend ;)

Scout

Go ahead and get started Spit. We just haad about two inches of rain, but the camping area is grass covered sand and gravel, so it will be fine. You can call me on my cell or home Cell is 254-217-1325, home is 254-527-3500. See you guys here, God bless and watch us all,
Scout
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

spitstickler

I'll get out of here as soon as I can. But it's a typical Friday and hard to get everything wrapped up at work. I'm going to try to beat the traffic out of the metro, but if I make by dark, I'll be lucky. I'll call you if I get lost! :)
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

vic303

I just signed up for the June AS at Davilla.  I won't be able to get there until well after dark I expect since I can't leave until after 5pm & will have Metro traffic to fight first.  I sorta planned on motelling it Friday, and then seeing about camping for the weekend, but these old bones to appreciate a real mattress too...and if I am sore like everyone says I will be, a mattress might be my best friend!  What are the motelling options besides Temple?

Also, can anyone tell me what distances are available to shoot, at Davilla? I know there is a 25m line, but is there a long range too?  It will affect the rifles I bring.

Thanks!
Vic303

metalbot

Davilla has both a 25 meter line and a full distance (100,200,300,400) range.  Whether the full distance is shot or not depends on whether there are enough students shooting well enough on Sunday (and to a certain extent on the availability of enough instructors to man 2 separate lines).

Motel options are really Temple or Georgetown.  Temple's closer.
Davilla 1108

vic303

Thanks metalbot.  That pretty much decides for me what I will bring as far as platforms...
AR & .22.
Now to pick which AR and which .22?  Hmm....decisions decisions!

POP

VIC303

I always camp at Davilla.  O0 Several Reasons:
No. 1.  Camaraderie.  The instruction during the day is rigorous, very little time to get to talk to folks. So, camping with the "boys" is the way to go to get to know your fellow Appleseeders.  If you would like to talk with some of our best (the ladies) PM me and I'll get you in touch with a few of them.  I'm trying to say you have as much privacy as you want.  This group of Riflemen (incl. ladies) is all American; American and Christian values, Patriots, Brothers to each other.  You will be at home here.

No. 2.  Time.  Since Appleseed events are very time sensitive, the less time you spend on the road going back and forth the better.  You will eat up an hour and a half just in one round trip to Temple.  That's three hours you could have been sleeping, or visiting with other Appleseeders, or studying.

No. 3.  Hot shower.  Yes, it is a little rustic, but, it is great to wash off all the dirt and gunpowder.  

No. 4.  HEAT / COLD.  Yes, June will likely be miserable HOT.  Get a battery powered fan to blow air across your face at night.  Our founding fathers fought not just the British Regulars, they fought the elements as well.  The Heat and Cold are just part of the experience and you will learn from it.

No. 5.  Hard Ground.  OK, so the founding fathers did not know about air mattresses.  Get one of those, too.  Beats the heck out of a Motel 5 1/2.  A whole lot less expensive, too.

No. 6.  FOOD.  Bring sandwich material for lunch, water, gatorade, etc. Other meals, Your choice, but, breakfast should be wholesome but, fast with as little cleanup needed as you can make it.  This all helps you beat the Time Monkey.  For Supper again, Your Choice.  Bring something to fix that is really good because if you survive the day you deserve the BEST.   Really, You only have one evening meal to fix, Saturday.

Now to answer your other questions.
No. 7.  metalbot answered your Qs re: Motels and Range Distances.
If you have any other Qs, just let one of us know.

I (along with Mrs. POP, Respiratory Cat, and Respiratory PUP) may be there for the June Davilla.  We are doing the Corpus Christi this weekend, the Sherburne LA over Memorial Day the following weekend, and I need to be in Austin for non AS family business the last weekend of May.  But, then again, I may not be at the June Davilla.  We have lots to do here in CC.

Bailing Faster Now Than Ever,
Helping Ordinary People to Develop the Mindset of a Patriot.

See you on the trail,
POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

Scout

Quote from: vic303 on May 13, 2009, 02:27:01 PM
Thanks metalbot.  That pretty much decides for me what I will bring as far as platforms...
AR & .22.
Now to pick which AR and which .22?  Hmm....decisions decisions!

Make sure if you have the choice, the .22 is a detachable, box magazine fed rifle and you have two magazines with it. We will be taking the folks who have their groups down below ten minutes of arc (about 2 inches) to the actual distance on sunday.

If you want to get a motel on Friday night that is no problem, you will just need to be on the line Saturday morning by 8:00AM.  Look forward to seeing you there ;)
BattleRoadUSA.com

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

vic303

It's a 77/22 with an old 4x weaver on top.  No facility for irons, but as a boltgun it is a fast one.  I think with a little practice on the COF, I should do ok.

Scout

If you have an automatic that will work much better. If not we should have one you can borrow. You are welcome to use a boltgun, you will just lag behind on the instruction and in learning the techniques. Does not have anything to do with how fast you can work the bolt, it has to do with having to break your position to work the bolt every time you fire the rifle.

The techniques we will teach you are applicable and transferable to every rifle you will ever fire, it is just learning the techniques that will go much easier for you with an automatic. When you do not have to work a bolt, we can usually easily detect and diagnos minor problems fairlt easily, but with having to break your position with each shot and move your body, it can be hard to tell what is causing your firing line errors as they can be masked by breaking your position on each round.

Much like learning to drive a standard. When you are learning, you have to start off in first gear every time in order to move forward. But after a few years of driving a standard, you find out that you can start in any gear, but it sure is easier to learn to drive starting in first gear, than trying to teach someone to start off in fourth or fifth gear. ;)   
BattleRoadUSA.com

vic303

RPOP & Scout thank you both for the info.  If I can get the 10/22 ready in time I will possibly bring that.  Ya gotta understand--I have the old eyes problem going on...I suspect I will camp at least Saturday night.  Motel Friday night is possible, but also am dealing with a probable work strike for my husband beginning right around the time of the Davilla AS.  Joy oh joy...  :-\  Saving the cost of the motel Friday night might be important.  The biggest problem is I won't be able to leave home until after 5pm, which puts me smack into the Friday night commute traffic.  Blech!  Then add time for finding Scout's place....even with GPS it may get interesting, since I have not been to that part of TX before.  I expect it will not be daylight when I would arrive.  I might have to sleep in the van that night...at least I can bring the BIG air mattress...  8)

Scout

Hey Vic,

You are the doctor right? I think I talked with you a year or two ago about coming to an event. You called me so you should have my phone number but I will PM it to you again and you can call me if you have any questions on how to get here. You are welcome to call even if you get in late and I can help you get situated. I also have a camper you can use on Friday night if you would like. It is at the range, I have two campers at the range (nothing fancy, just utilitarian) I got them for the instructors to stay in so we do not have to use RWVA money for hotels. ;)
BattleRoadUSA.com

vic303

We did talk a year or so ago Scout, and my email ID may have given the impression I'm a doctor but I am not.  I might still have your ph# in a PM or an email--I will look and see.  I'd appreciate having it and GPS coords or a set of instructions on how to find your range.  Is that info already here on the forum somewhere?  I would probably call your# when I got close to the range.  Are you a ham radio op by any chance?  I have a rig in my van (n0vmr) and could reach you possibly on that rather than burning up your cell minutes.

Vic

Scout

I beleieve the GPS coordinayes are on the event info page. I am sending it again by PM, heck, I have posted it all over the site anyway and I ama not worried about Appleseeders calling me, Home is 254-527-3500. My cell is 254-217-1325 and you might reach me on it if I happen to be standing on the three foot squrae I get reception on. :)

I do not have a shortwave, but maybe you can give quick talk about them Saturday evening at teh campfire so that we can all bebefit from a briefing on shortwave abilities and uses. I think we should have a shortwave network available to Texans so we can continue to communicate in the event of another hurricane/alien invasion ;)

Look forward to seeing you here, just call when you get close and I can vector you in.
Scout
BattleRoadUSA.com

vic303

Thank you Scout, you're a gentleman!  I have decided not to bring the 77/22.  Trying to decide if it is worth the cost to get the Techsights, or to try AS with a Leatherneck 165 and 2 mags...as long as the COF does not require MORE than 10 rounds loaded in a mag I should be ok (1x5, 1x10rnd)...

scuzzy

Quote from: Respiratory POP on May 13, 2009, 02:42:21 PM
VIC303

I always camp at Davilla.  O0 Several Reasons:
No. 1.  Camaraderie.  The instruction during the day is rigorous, very little time to get to talk to folks. So, camping with the "boys" is the way to go to get to know your fellow Appleseeders.  If you would like to talk with some of our best (the ladies) PM me and I'll get you in touch with a few of them.  I'm trying to say you have as much privacy as you want.  This group of Riflemen (incl. ladies) is all American; American and Christian values, Patriots, Brothers to each other.  You will be at home here.

There ya go. You said it brother. Hanging out with Pop and the others is the icing on the cake. If ya can, camping is dang good. While I'm only gonna be at the May Davilla shoot on Sunday, I've camped there at Davilla a few times. Good experience and good people.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

vic303

I'm gonna be there Friday evening, and will camp.  The forecast for 100* though is not ideal...  oh well, that's Texas for ya!

I also managed to encourage a friend to bring his young daughter for her first formal shooting training.  He won't be shooting, though, just her.

Am hoping to get on the road well before 5pm assuming DH gets off work early like he thinks he can.
Never did find the GPS coords but will wing it I guess!

Scout

Just a reminder to all who will attend Davilla events, camping is welcomed and encouraged. We have room for about six instructors in the two campers and plenty of tent and RV space. if you want to show up early, you are welcome to. Just remember that the people who show up early get put to work ;)

If you want to show up extra early, like ther or four days ahead, just PM or call me, my number is above, and we can get it worked out. Friday arrivals are welcome and encouraged. We have porta jons and primitive sshowers. The showers are gravity fed and wood stove heated, so however long ahead you start the fire in the shower and how well you maintain that fire will determine the temperature of your shower water. ;)

The next chance to xperience Davilla camping is the weekend of the 14th-15th for the Appleseed and the week of the 7th-15th for RBC attendees. I look forward to aeeing you guys here.
Scout
BattleRoadUSA.com

Lonestar

sounds like fun, I'll be there :)

reliable

I plan to get there Sat pm & get a good night's sleep before the fun begins.  Reliable (larry)

Lonestar

I'll be showing up Friday afternoon around 5pm give or take. I will be trying out a tent for the first time in years. Is water available on site? a grden hose or something or should I bring my own for cooking, ect....

Aromatic

Lonestar,

There is water from the shower tank buy I dont know if it is potable.  I would bring your own water for cooking and drinking.