News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Memphis, TN - AAR - Nov 17. 2023 (One Day Pistol Clinic)

Started by Captain, November 18, 2023, 08:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain

A smashing success! That's the only way to describe the first Appleseed Pistol Clinic at the Top Gun Memphis Range this past Friday. Top Gun is a premier indoor shooting range/gun shop mega store which is also attached to a top notch BBQ restaurant! We had full use of their 9 lane shooting range with ballistic glass dividers between each shooting position, powered target carriers and a wireless PA System to run the line. We also had full use of the adjoining VIP Lounge/classroom. The event was "Sold Out" within a day of being posted, so we were a group of very interested and motivated shooters and Appleseeders.

The range opened early for our event and during registration, everyone was able to sign up and pay for a lunch box from the collocated Ferguson's BBQ. We kicked off the event in the VIP lounge - think fireplace, complementary soda machine and comfy chairs. After introductions and safety, we moved onto the range and got to work. This was a group of experienced shooters, including several guys who are firearm instructors, so things went smoothly. The morning was spent on fundamentals of grip and stance, eventually working up to controlled pairs.

We retrieved our prepared lunches from Ferguson's and returned to the VIP Lounge to enjoy some BBQ and share some stories from the founding of our great nation. After we cleaned up, it was back to the range for ball and dummy, malfunctions, transitions and shooting with one hand. Finally, it was time to put everything together and try to Appleseed Pistol Qualification Test (PQT). It was a challenging combination of speed and accuracy but several shooters we able to qualify for their Appleseed Pistoleer™ Patch. We made several attempts at the PQT and shot a little competition on the Big/Small Dots target. Big/Small Dots Challenge was won by Jim with the first perfect score I've seen, 2 hits in each of the 10 dots targets in 45 seconds with no misses! Great Job! By the end of the day, seven shooters had earned their patch, quite an achievement: well done.

Now for a few pictures . . . . click to see them full size and click again shrink down.

Group Photo

I'll add a few more pictures as I get caught up. Please add your comments and suggestions!

The proper measure of the success of any Appleseed event. How many people hear the call, and take up the challenge? How many people hear the voices from the past, the choices they faced, the choices they made - and find that they respond to the call? - Fred, Appleseed Founder

There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

Old Navy Doc

This was indeed a wonderful group of students and instructors with excellent group chemistry.
The new COF was excellent and was well received by everyone.
I eagerly look forward to returning to this venue for future pistol clinics.
First AS: Ramseur 2/09
Rifleman: Charlotte 11/14
Orange Hat: Calera 1/15
KD Rifleman: Puryear 5/15
Red Hat: Sevierville  11/16
Rimfire KD: Huntsville 12/20
Pistoleer™: Huntsville 2/21

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."  Plato

WildCard

What a great Appleseed Pistol Clinic event in Memphis. Captain, Ol' Navy Doc, Mustang - great instruction, great lessons.

Congratulations to the Pistoleer™s of the Mid-South Riflemen, and special congratulations to Mustang for earning a well-deserved Appleseed Challenge Coin! Don't go trying to shoot the center out (although we all know you COULD!)
1st AS: 2020.09.27
2nd AS: 2020.10.18
3rd AS: 2020.11.15
4th AS: 2021.04.18
5th AS: 2021.05.30 - Rifleman (finally!)
6th AS: 2021.09.26
7th AS: 2022.04.24
8th AS: 2022.05.29
9th AS: 2022.09.25
10th AS: 2022.10.15
1st PS: 2023.04.14
11th AS: 2023.04.23 - Full Color Rifleman
12th AS: 2023.05.21
2nd PS: 2023.06.17 - Pistoleer™
13th AS: 2023.09.24

Roswell

Awesome! Great job bringing Appleseed Pistol Clinics to Memphis Captain and crew! Looks like a great event!  O0
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Calaboose Cross

It was a great day at Top Gun in Memphis shooting the Appleseed Pistol Clinic with a bunch of great shooters who showed off their pistol marksmanship skills. Expert instruction was provided by Shoot Boss Captain assisted by Old Navy Doc and Mustang. We have TigerDriver to thank for putting it all together. Single handed he procured the range exclusively for us, did the logistics, and insured that everything went well. We are grateful to him for putting it all together. Kudos to him! Also kudos to Jim for shooting a perfect score on the dot drill. Alas, lol, I was one shot behind him. A great time was had by all and we enjoyed hearing the history of our great nation's founding because that's what Appleseed is all about! Looking forward to more Appleseed Pistol Clinics!

SavvySteve

I was so happy that the event was held in Memphis and I didn't have to travel far!  I appreciate Captain, Old Navy Doc and recently patched up Mustang for being instructors at the event.  While I really wanted to qualify with my old Gen3 Glock 19 EDC I just couldn't quite get there.  After many failed yet close attempts I didn't want to walk away empty handed.  Clearly my limited 9mm trigger time since COVID spiked 9mm prices was showing... along with the fact I don't have a fancy red dot.  ( Enough with the excuses, suck less, practice more )  :boohoo:  :boohoo:

So I broke out my trusty Buckmark that I used heavily to practice for this event.  And just like that thankfully on my first attempt with it I was able to hit 229 or 230 and patched.  Iron sights I might add!!!  ..:..  ..:..  ..:.. 

-> First Appleseed - 11/14/2020 ___ Rifleman - 9/25/2021
-> IBC Memphis, TN - 3/6/2022  ___ Orange Hat (IIT0) - 3/6/2022
-> First KD - 9/17/2022 ___ Rifleman re-qualified - 9/25/2022
-> IBC Jonesboro, AR - 2/11/2023 ___ Rifleman re-qualified - 4/23/2023
-> IIT2 (Memphis, TN 5/20/2023) - 6/7/2023 ___ Second KD, Hit the Morgan Shingle! - 9/17/2023
-> First Appleseed Pistol Clinic Qualified Pistoleer™ -  11/17/2023