News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Texas Instructor Boot Camp in January 2024!

Started by AF5US, November 10, 2023, 02:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AF5US

When the fantastic Weezer made an IBC post years ago, I doubt that she realized it would become a template.  It's so awesome though, we're gonna keep using it :)
The 49th annual (okay, not really) Texas IBC will be held on
January 20-21, 2024
at the World Famous
Central Texas Rifle and Pistol Club in China Spring, Texas.
Central Texas Rifle & Pistol Club ("CTRP")
384 Range Road, China Spring TX 76633
GPS Coordinates: Lat 31.691138, Long -97.283281

Click here for directions to the CTRP:  http://www.ctrpclub.org/map

Anyone who wears any color RWVA hat is invited to attend.
Anyone who might be interested in wearing one of those coveted RWVA hats is ALSO welcome to attend, but please PM our regional coordinator Ghostring or myself so we can discuss :)

Attendance is strongly encouraged.  Aw, heck, let's just say attendance is mandatory.  ~~:)     If you are unable to attend, please PM me to work out alternate arrangements.   Also, if money, transportation or an angry spouse might get in the way of your attendance, let me know and we'll work it out.

We are a huge state and, therefore, a large group!  This is your single, best opportunity to meet a large portion of the Texas cadre and talk, share stories, and learn from them.
Border Raiders are welcome!                                        Border Raiders are welcome!                                   Border Raiders are welcome!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm asking everyone to register via the Project Appleseed website.

To Register, Click Here: https://goappleseednow.org/?event=waco-tx-instructor-boot-camp-january-20-21-2024

Times/Basic Agenda:
   Friday (optional) - Club will be open to attendees starting at 3 PM.
                                      - Non-members of CTRP will be able to shoot as Guests of CTRP with a Member.  Please bring $5 :)
                                      - Optional special presentation being developed for 6 PM.  More information as it's available.

Saturday - 8 AM until bed time (if you're arriving Saturday morning, please plan to arrive no later than 7:30 AM)
                           - Interactive "Hands On" Instruction, History/strikes and safety breakouts all day!
                           - Campfire and fellowship in the evening!

Sunday - 8 AM to 5 PM
                          - Rifle familiarization, KD Range Orientation/training, LibertySeeds, troubleshooting, State of the State, etc.

Meals:
   Friday (optional) - dinner (simple stuff like cold cuts, chips and soda)
   Saturday - breakfast, lunch, hot Texas Dinner!
   Sunday - breakfast, lunch
  All weekend - coffee, water, snacks
***While food, snacks, water and coffee will be provided, please feel free to bring your own if you have special dietary requirements.  Please - no alcoholic beverages!

Cost: Tentatively plan for $40 - (payable at the door) which includes money to cover meals, snacks and water for the weekend, and "range fee" for CTRP for the use of their excellent facilities!  Exact cost TBD as we get closer to the event.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is an IBC?
An Appleseed IBC is an intense, drinking-from-the-firehose, weekend of interactive classwork (indoors, all weekend), where all instructors will get plenty of hands-on instruction and mentoring, while building friendships and camaraderie.   You shouldn't have any fear/trepidation about attending.  Bring the skills you have, and be ready to learn.  You WILL learn a lot, and have fun.  Even (ESPECIALLY!) if you're a newbie, or it's been awhile since you've volunteered at an event.  We Need YOU!

This is NOT your Mama's IBC!  We're still putting the final finishing touches on the presentations, but, BELIEVE ME there will be no sitting on our duffs listening to the professor from Ferris Beuller's Day Off droning on and on for two days.  Instead, we're going to be doing a ton of hands-on learning during breakout sessions.  Read on…

Blue Hats - get to know the instructor corps, see what goes on "behind the scenes", learn how to help run a safe event, learn/practice the points of instruction and history in case you might want to change your hat color in the future.  We want you doing POIs, breakouts, troubleshooting - everything!

Orange Hats - this is a great way to boost your performance in 2024!  You'll have ample opportunities to practice and polish your points of instruction, safety, and history skills.

Red Hats - we need you!  Our ideal ratio is 1 Red Hat for every 2 Orange Hats.  Plus, this event will help to shake out the winter cobwebs that may have grown on your perishable skills.

Shoot Bosses - You already know everything, right?   Great!  ALL Shoot Bosses should be at this event.  This may be the only time we have such a large gathering of our cadre, and it's a great opportunity to make friends, build our team and relationships, and mentor.

Some logistical details:
We will be in the meeting room.  It seats 50 people, so we'll have plenty of room.

There is camping on-site, but trailer hookups are likely non-operational.  There are bathrooms and a nice kitchen for fine dining!

WE WILL HAVE CLUB MEMBERS AVAILABLE TO ACCOMPANY NON-MEMBERS TO THE RANGES!
Do you have an AR-15, Garand, or M1A that needs sighting in?  CTRP is a GREAT place to shoot out to 200 yards!
During instruction time, there won't be any shooting, but there will be rifle familiarization - AR15, M1 Garand, M1A, AK, 10/22, 597 and 795.

What should you bring?  Well, in addition to your personal items for spending an overnight, please bring:
•   A teachable attitude.
•   Any teaching materials you normally bring to an AS
•   The instructor manual  (let us know if you need a copy)
•   A notebook or pad of paper and pens/pencils
•   A dummy rifle, if you have one
•   Your copy of Paul Revere's Ride
•   A memory stick if you want electronic copies of our files
•   Your smartphone to record yourself in the breakout sessions - trust us, this will be an eye-opener for you

How should you prepare?

Blue Hats:
•   Read "Paul Revere's Ride"
•   Read the current Applecore Manual
•   Prepare for the AC1 RSO test, if you'd like to be certified to clear the line at Appleseed events
•   Make up a list of any questions you may have
•   Browse the current Instructor Manual, especially if you're planning to participate in the breakouts

Orange Hats:
•   Read "Paul Revere's Ride"
•   Read the current Instructor Manual
•   Read Fred's Guideposts
•   Try to commit as much of the "cheat sheet" to memory - line commands, safety rules, steady hold factors, etc.
•   Have at least a basic understanding of the strikes and DOMs

Red Hats:
•   Be ready to discuss all aspects of the history - prelims, strikes, DOMs, etc
•   You will be running/assisting in the breakout sessions. PMs with details will be forthcoming
•   You have no need for that cheat sheet, right?     :cool2:
•   Make sure your POIs are sharp

Shoot Bosses:
•   Be ready to discuss all aspects of the history - prelims, strikes, DOMs, etc.
•   Read the current Shoot Boss Manual
•   You will likely be a squad leader for the breakouts - PMs with details will be forthcoming
•   ...I don't even need to mention the cheat sheet, right?     :cool2:
Our mission is serious: the urgency of saving the country, and everyone's safety at our events.  That being said, if you're not having fun doing this, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

Please click the "Notify" button and check in here occasionally for updates. 
On a personal note - by complete coincidence, this post happens to be my 1,000th forum post.  Yes, really.  My very first IBC was at the world-famous CTRP range.  It was a huge help, and we aim to misbehave make this a huge help for you.   O0
We'll see you all this January!
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

Mrs. Smith

Waco is a FANTASTIC place for  an IBC!  I've been to a few there, and had a great time.

However, if that weekend doesn't work for you, there will be another IBC in El Paso the second weekend in March  :)
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Gus

I'm in.

I've met the instructors at Kerrville. Can't wait to meet everyone else!

In Liberty,

Gus
"Mental notes aren't worth the paper they're written on" - Mark Twain

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen" - Jeff Cooper

Steck

Can't wait to see everyone!

Texans (and border raiders!) Sign up as students, don't delay.

To Register, Click Here: https://goappleseednow.org/?event=waco-tx-instructor-boot-camp-january-20-21-2024

(Also ... I call dibs on the big recliner Saturday night.)

scuzzy

Quote from: Steck on January 03, 2024, 06:21:01 PM(Also ... I call dibs on the big recliner Saturday night.)
The recliner? Wait - what? Whine.

It'll be good to see you - been too long.

South Texas - y'all come on out too.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

AF5US

Kirby has dibs on the couch  O0

Frankly, I'll be just fine if I just blow up my therm-a-rest camping mat, or maybe I'll see if I can hang a hammock indoors.  I just got a new Helikon-Tex Swagman Roll that's supposed to be able to work as a hammock underquilt, among other things, but I'm not quite sure I want to test it in January.  #)

I expect to be sending out an email to everyone that signed up soon, and will also post the body here.  Stay tuned folks, and thanks for everyone that's coming out!

AF5US

Hi all,  below is a copy / paste of the email that I just sent out to everyone signed up to participate, as of 1/5/2024 at 14:00 Central time.  Email attachments are also included on this forum update.  This post is mostly new information, although it does update one or two points (including Friday's food plan).  This is the most up-to-date information at this time.

Fellow Patriots,

Our IBC is fast approaching and should be a lot of fun.  If you haven't already, be certain to review the Planning Thread on the forum for this IBC.  Click the Notify button to be updated of any new posts:
https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=66600.0

Admin: Central Texas Rifle & Pistol Club located at 348 Range Rd, China Spring, TX 76633 is hosting our class. We'll begin promptly at 8 am on Saturday, January 20. Please arrive early enough to complete your RWVA Waiver and get settled in. Despite the name Boot Camp, it's a gentleman's course, so it will be primarily classroom time and small group instruction/practice.

There will be a chance to shoot longer distances (think Known Distance) at a nearby range on Friday for anyone interested.  Details are being finalized and should be available soon.  Keep an eye out for a followup email as well as the IBC planning thread on the forum.

How to prepare: Everyone who attends an IBC wants to get the greatest return for the time they invest. Below are some things I recommend to EVERYONE attending, regardless of your role. These will help you "warm up" for the IBC, whether you've been a volunteer for a week or a decade.

Print and read the attached Instructor Manual, 9th Edition (9.1a). If you cannot read the entire manual between now and our event, at least read these pages: Preface; 5-14; 27-96; 106-111, all Three Strikes, and the DOM stories. That's about 84 pages.
    Check out Appleseed Academy. I can't recommend strongly enough to watch the videos there. Most of them are pretty short. If you need to prioritize your time, check out:
        The panel discussions on Appleseed Mission & Telling History: https://appleseedinfo.org/academy/appleseed-panel-discussions/.
        Safety Briefing through IMC here: https://appleseedinfo.org/academy/rifle-marksmanship-videos/.
        Anything else that catches your interest.
        After watching the videos, stand up and practice teaching the Safety Briefing, Prone, Sitting, Standing, Talking Targets, and IMC. Nothing replaces getting on your feet and practicing out loud. For your first run-through, you might want to use the script in the Academy Textbook – that's just fine.
        Red Hats/SB/dSB/SI: Please also make time to watch the Academy videos on teaching Known Distance.
        I've attached a copy of the Academy Textbook to this message. You can use it to follow along with the Marksmanship videos.
    A few things you can bring...
        A smile.
        $20 range fee for the generous use of the Central Texas Rifle & Pistol Club facilities
        A pen or pencil and something to take notes on.
        Whiteboard & markers (if you already own them).
        Dummy stock with a USGI sling, if you have one.
        Instructor manual (printed or on a tablet).
        Print & bring simple Flip Charts if you don't already have a set.
        A sturdy pointer, if you have one. An inexpensive dowel from Home Depot works just fine.
        A rifle, USGI sling, and shooting mat.
    4. You have a bit of history homework for the upcoming Instructor Boot Camp. Your task is two-fold:
        Watch the following TED Talk video from Andrew Stanton about The Clues to a Great Story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxDwieKpawg. When you watch the video, consider what he has to say about storytelling. Also, what can you observe about Mr. Stanton's own speaking style? (Caution, there is a salty joke in the first couple of minutes, which may not be suitable for everyone. If that is a concern, skip immediately to 1:20 in the video.)
        Prepare your history. See the attached IBC History Drill Topics document - it's a short history presentation; most will be about 3 minutes long. You have complete liberty to explore the assigned topic so long as your presentation is within the time specified. Some are DOM/DOW stories; others are interesting short topics. Be as creative as you like. When you prepare your history, focus on making your audience care.
    Please read the first post in this thread: https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=51391.0.

Attire: Let's make a great impression with our Host Range! Appleseed-issue shirts of any color or style. Red or Orange Hats.

Food: In addition to the $20 range fee, please plan on bringing $40 for food / drink.  One of the instructors will be purchasing foodstuff, and we will divide the cost amongst all participants.  Our intention is to come in below the $40 mark, but this should allow a buffer.  Food & drink will be provided Saturday Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner & Sunday Breakfast / Lunch.  If cost is a concern, please reach out to me.

Friday, for those in attendance: This will be a group outing at a local restaurant, or bring your own brown bag supper.  We will plan on leaving around 6-ish.  Join us for camaraderie!

Lodging:
The range has working bathrooms, sinks etc. - no showers, but we won't be sweating under a Texas summer sun.  Bring a cot, air mattress etc. if staying onsite.  Here are some options:

There is plenty of room in the club house where we will be holding the IBC.  Be advised that the club house does join a range residence, where the range groundskeeper resides.  It will be very important to respect quiet hours if you choose to stay here.
    There is a count house on a separate part of the range.  For those of you that work Appleseed events at this range, you know what we mean.  This has a significant amount of room, but probably not enough for EVERY attendee.
    Camping, hammocking etc. are permitted onsite at the range.
    There are a number of hotels available in nearby Waco, including the Fairfield Inn, Extended Stay, America's Best, Courtyard etc.  Be advised that the hotel is not eligible for reimbursement at this event.

Thank you for signing up and joining us for the weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone! Please reach out if you have any questions.
-AF5US, aka "Jason"

scuzzy

I ought to add - we had a call last night at it looks like we will be able to do an Instructor KD on the Friday before the boot camp in Temple which is about 45 minutes or so away from Temple.

No instruction unless you haven't done KD before. Else just shooting.

How many of you are interested in that? I'd like to get a head count.

ScottInTX

I would be interested in shooting a KD if that option were available.
Rifleman: 1/23
Distinguished Rifleman: 2/23
Pistoleer™: 3/23

Gus

Good Evening,

I'd love to shoot a KD on Friday.

In Liberty,

Gus

P.S. I'm really enjoying 'Paul Revere's Ride'.  Great book!

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen" - Jeff Cooper

Locke Enload

I'd be interested in a KD.  Would there be a Shingle?
"For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose hearts are completely His"   2 Chron. 16:9

"Be ye, therefore,  gentle as doves, but cunning as vipers" Matt 10:16

Rifleman 1/22
Known Distance  11/23
Morgan's Shingle 11/23

scuzzy

Quote from: Locke Enload on January 09, 2024, 02:16:25 PMI'd be interested in a KD.  Would there be a Shingle?
I'm sure that could be done.

ScottInTX

Scuzzy, what time should those interested in the KD in Temple be there on Friday morning?

scuzzy

Quote from: ScottInTX on January 15, 2024, 06:35:18 PMScuzzy, what time should those interested in the KD in Temple be there on Friday morning?
Let's go for 9:30am. I've been watching the weather so it should be fairly warmed up - or at least not too far below freezing by then.

https://goappleseednow.org/?event=temple-tx-known-distance-january-19-2024-instructors-only

SafetyManTX

I've turned on the heat at the Brass Valley range and hopefully the dusting of snow will melt off by Friday. There will be an opportunity for Morgan's Shingle. Probably won't be able to shred before Friday, so grass might be a bit taller than normal, but it's not so muddy, heck even Captain could drive his van down range without getting stuck. Both Miles up and running which should help some.

See everyone Friday at 8:30 or so.
KD Rifleman 12/5/2020 Temple (Eddy), TX
KD Requalified 05/14/2023 Eddy, TX
Morgan's Shingle 05/30/2021 - Brass Valley KD @ Eddy, TX

Gus

Good Afternoon,

Just so I'm clear on where the range is: it is east of Temple (take 363 to 438 and it's a bit off to the left)?

Please see the attached pic.

Thanks!

Gus

scuzzy

Quote from: Gus on January 16, 2024, 03:16:06 PMGood Afternoon,

Just so I'm clear on where the range is: it is east of Temple (take 363 to 438 and it's a bit off to the left)?

Please see the attached pic.

Thanks!

Gus

I'll send out an email to whoever is registered for the KD with good directions including an Alternate Route. The alternate is sometimes needed when a train parks across the road when you get off the highway. Not often but it has occurred.

So if you haven't signed up yet please do. The directions are somewhat vague and that is intentional. Only those signed up get precise directions.

SafetyManTX

Thoroughly enjoyed the KD on Friday at Brass Valley (even if I am a bit partial) and both days of the IBC Waco 2024. That I you AF5US AND ghostring for the excellent instruction and well run event
KD Rifleman 12/5/2020 Temple (Eddy), TX
KD Requalified 05/14/2023 Eddy, TX
Morgan's Shingle 05/30/2021 - Brass Valley KD @ Eddy, TX

Locke Enload

Here, hear!  Thank you gents!!! Thanks to Eric for a most excellent KD range, God for the most challenging conditions, Jason for the most excellent program, fellow instructors for the most excellent fellowship and development, Tuesday et al. for the food, and Chip and Jo for the (stolen) cupcakes!
"For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose hearts are completely His"   2 Chron. 16:9

"Be ye, therefore,  gentle as doves, but cunning as vipers" Matt 10:16

Rifleman 1/22
Known Distance  11/23
Morgan's Shingle 11/23

AF5US

Thank you gentlemen - I sincerely appreciate your feedback.  Heck - I appreciate the time and effort you guys took to show up and attend.  Wish I could have made the Friday KD shoot, but schedule and transportation needs didn't work out.

There is an after action report for the KD, if anyone is interested.  There are some pictures on the post as well:
https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=66965.0

scuzzy

Quote from: AF5US on January 22, 2024, 02:09:27 PMWish I could have made the Friday KD shoot, but schedule and transportation needs didn't work out.

lol - it was a bit chilly to say the least. Friday morning I was wishing I hadn't come up with that idea. I don't think I've ever been colder at an Appleseed.

And thanks for taking this on. You did great.

Gus

It was definitely a chilly KD-that wind was no little thing. I found it a bit ironic, after living for so long and shooting in Alaska, I had to move to Texas to earn a Winterseed patch!

The IBC was a fabulous rust remover for me. So many good people with good ideas and great information. I've been going through my notes and filling in the blanks. I have a lot of practicing to do with getting my details correct and polishing the delivery. Really enjoyed the IMC presentation and getting to practice that.

Here are a couple of pictures of our KD. ScottinTexas and Lock Enload doing some shooting and the range. Check out the wind tape!

In Liberty,

Gus

ScottInTX

Gus showed all the frosty KD attendees how it was done.  He shot a great score, AND did in the artic blast!  Well done, Sir!

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: ScottInTX on January 22, 2024, 05:59:20 PMGus showed all the frosty KD attendees how it was done.  He shot a great score, AND did in the artic blast!  Well done, Sir!

He must love it, because he's signed up for my Ft. Bliss KD in a couple of weeks.

The weather will be a tad different, though.  Something in the low 60's I expect.  ;D

Looking forward to meeting you, Gus!
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

AF5US

The week before was 50 degree weather.

This week is 50 and 60 degree weather.

Just our luck to have a KD during an arctic blast  :slap:

Gus

Hi All,

Thanks for the kind words.  It was a lot of fun.  I had just purchased a new upper and Vortex scope for the AR and had gotten it zeroed two days before the KD. Tried a couple of loads in it at the Bandera range and found it really likes 62 gr Hornady FMJBT bullets propelled by a medium charge of 748.  In the process right now of putting together more ammo just like them in preparation for the KD at Fort Bliss.

My son Nathaniel will be joining us at Ft Bliss.  He has done quite well at the 25 meter AQTs and at a Rimfire KD, but he hasn't quite made it yet on a centerfire KD. He loves bolt action rifles and he'll be running a Ruger American in caliber 5.56.

To Mrs. Smith: We've corresponded a bit on the forums in the past-mainly when my wife earned her Rifleman patch at a rimfire KD in Alaska.  I too look forward to meeting you and going through the course.  I'll be sure to take a lot of notes!

In Liberty,

Gus-