News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Cavalier, October 14-15, 2023 AAR

Started by BrotherPilot, October 17, 2023, 08:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrotherPilot

GREAT SHOOT!

Thirty one intrepid patriots braved the rain on Saturday and the wind on Sunday, including a troop of scouts.  A grand time was had by all!  I particularly want to thank the families who came out together, and the scouts.  A very big thank you to Cavalier Rifle and Pistol Club for hosting this event. 

I especially want to thank the instructors and Applecore who came out to teach and assist. 

Despite the rain melting targets to cardboard and cardboard backers melting into soft paste we shot, and the Redcoat numbers tell the tale:  On Saturday morning we had 14 on the 100, 11 on the 200, 6 on the 300 5 on the 400 and 3 Shingles.  Two (repeat appleseeders!) cleared the Redcoat.  ON Sunday morning with 26 shooters (down 5 from Saturday) we had 24 at 100, 16 at 200, 12 at 300, 9 at 400 and  shingles and 4 people cleared the Redcoat!  HUZZAH!  The redcoats did not stand a chance!

Great interaction from the students during history, especially during DangerousCook's telling of the 2nd strike of the match from the point of view of Rebecca Barrett.  And a really good question from one of the scouts at the end of the day on Sunday: "Why is it Project Appleseed not Mission Appleseed?"  To which we replied we're still working on it. 

Congratulations to Jonathan for earning his Rifleman patch!  Huzzah!  Congratulations also to Alex and Derek for strong requalifications, Derek with 240, 244 and 245!  Huzzah!  Well done gentlemen!

Again, thank you to all who came, students and instructors both.  I had a great time and I hope to see you at a shoot again soon!
Jay
VA State Coordinator
540-855-4651
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."•Samuel Adams

Monkey

QuoteAnd a really good question from one of the scouts at the end of the day on Sunday: "Why is it Project Appleseed not Mission Appleseed?"

And THIS is how you know you've connected with the audience.

Well done to all!
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

The Wolfhound

An interesting event occurred at the shoot.  We almost had a squib.  But only almost! The round was in the magazine but got chewed up loading and got ejected.  I picked it up and with my multitool pulled the bullet.  My intent was to show components to the shooters, Particularly the Scouts.  When I looked into the casing, I was surprised to see yellow priming compound and 5 or so flakes of powder!  It did not get dumped.  It was essentially empty!  The priming compound was in perfect condition. It would have detonated. 5 flakes of powder would have been enough for a squib and nowhere near enough to clear the barrel.  As our Shoot Boss said, "We dodged a bullet"!  Added: for the record it was Federal 36 gr. blue box bulk.

Great shoot with the rare inclusion of all the Virginia female cadre on site at once on Sunday.  All 6 of our ladies were there and working! 

BrotherPilot

A few pics!  First, we had all the ladies of Virginia at this shoot (all of our female instructors).  Next are Jonathan and Derek receiving their patches for Rifleman and Distinguished.  Well done!
Jay
VA State Coordinator
540-855-4651
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."•Samuel Adams