News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Coeur d'Alene, ID - October 14-15, 2023

Started by eert, October 16, 2023, 01:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eert

We had a great shoot to close out the Fernan Rod and Gun Club 2023 Appleseed Season.  Weather in mid-October was better than can be expected for this time of year.  We had a sold-out shoot, but unfortunately one family of 3 had to cancel last minute due to flu going around school.  We also had a couple of shooters who were sick Saturday, but were able to come out on Sunday.

Saturday shooting started with the first Hits Count Target, 3 shooters out of 18 qualified at the 400-yard silhouette and 4 Morgan Rifleman, 3 cleaned the target, so the line had its share of good shooters.  We followed with the typical process of teach a standard, demo it, and shoot a square with the newly taught skill.  Shooters stuck with the fast pace and showed improvement with each square. 

Lunch brought solid presentations of the First and Second Strikes by the IIT Cadre; Led and Bald Since Birth.  Post lunch instruction continued with Standing, Stage two, and Transitions.  This was followed by an AQT and a break with IIT Wagon presenting the Third Strike and aftermath quotes.  Another AQT followed.  Two students qualified on Saturday, but since both were returning on Sunday, they elected to save the patch presentation for day two.  The final Hits Count target indicated overall class improvement showing 8 qualifying at the 400, 5 Morgan Rifleman, and everyone qualifying at least in one stage!

Sunday brought 3 additional shooters, although one youth was unable to attend day 2 due to illness, bringing the day 2 count to 20 shooters.  The day 2 Hits Count showed 8 at 400, 10 Morgan Rifleman, and 3 cleaning the target. Sunday included recaps of position steady hold factors, 6 steps of firing a shot, and Natural Point of Aim along with a mix of drills stressing Natural Point of Aim and transitions.  An AQT was shot before the lunch break.  Sunday Lunch was taken on the Bay enjoying either sun or shade and listening to led, AR Gunner, and P7 share the stories of Lamson, Wyman, and Whittemore.  P7 followed with the story of civilian competitive shooter George Farr and the history of the "v" circle on our targets. 

Post lunch shooting started with a wake-up speed transitions and magazine change drills to get folks ready for the AQT sequence.  We had a brief interruption on the second AQT when two youth spectators behind our Bay tripped a yellow jacket nest and got stung multiple times.  Our designated medics responded to help the parents.  I talked to the youth's Dad last night, and I am happy to report that the boys are well!

As we wrapped up the AQTs we ended up with 10 Rifleman patches awarded, 4 of which were first time patches!  Our first timers were Steve A., Joel H., Grant T. (who accomplished this while running a bolt gun!), and Tom Jr.  Repeats included Jake A. and members of the Clan; Big Tom (Papa aka Kid Rifleman), Abby, Kate, Kay Marie, and Outlaw Walter.  HUZZAHS and Congratulations!  Honorable mention to those knocking on the Rifleman Door: Jim T., whose scores were just so painfully close to RM; Vitaliy - running Tech sights; first timer Zion; and first timer Henry. 

To all the student shooters: this was the safest line firing line I've ever seen, thank you for making my job easier!  Remember the third step in learning skills is the maintenance phase.  You can do 80% of this phase by not firing a single live shot.  There are scaled dry fire targets on the Forum available for download, or contact me and I will email you some. 

Additional thanks to:
- the Founders for giving us the ability to have the Freedom and Liberty to conduct a Rifle Marksmanship Clinic.

-Fernan Rod and Gun Club who has continuously supported local Appleseed since 2009.

-the 3 families that brought or continue to bring their families to Appleseed events.

-The Instructor Cadre, especially the IIT's who willingly took on the brunt of the instruction and heritage presentations.

-AR Gunner who split the loaner rifles with me for cleaning Saturday night and Kid Rifleman and Wagon who volunteered to take loaners to clean after the shoot.  This makes being a Shoot Boss a little less painful!  Thank you!

Feel free to contact me via the Forum or email if you have any questions regarding AS, associated equipment, drills, targets, etc.

I hope to see many of you at the 2024 Fernan Appleseed opener on January 6-7.  Happy New Year!

Wagon

It was one GREAT weekend!  Here are some pix:

eert

Thanks for posting all those RM patches! Huzzah!

Mrs papa

I just wanted to take the opportunity to say how very much my family enjoyed this event!! The shoot boss was (as always) amazing! My whole clan attended and came away feeling educated, more skilled, and feeling a sense of brotherhood and community. NICE WORK EERT! I am posting for our whole group, as every other member of the family is having difficulty accessing the ability to post on the forum.

k8

This Appleseed was one of the best I have been to yet!! Pat/Eert is the best shootboss in the area. He always makes Appleseed exciting and fun, he is helpful and engaging to the new people at the events, and his passion for the history and purpose of Appleseed is inspiring and heartfelt. Every time I leave an Appleseed event with Pat as the shoot boss, I leave excited for the next event and with a new perspective on how to further my skills and learn about our American history. So many rifleman this Appleseed, too!! Thank you for an amazing weekend Pat, and looking forward to the next Appleseed! Had an absolute blast!

k8

Love this picture, too! 😁

Puddles

It was an amazing event! While all Appleseed events are inspiring, fun and most definitely necessary, there is something about events led by Eert/Pat  that I have yet to experience with any other shoot boss. Course of fire is organized, frequent interruptions are handled with ease and we shot AQTs not only before lunch on Sunday, but shot a couple on Saturday as well! It is easy in this world to get lost in modern politics, petty behavior and just downright disregard for what liberty really means, but eert thank you for reminding me, and many others just what it means to be free and what that freedom costs. I will be at Winterseed, ready to have fun and be inspired by you once more!

-Puddles/Abby

Puddles

Puddles

MERICA  :F  Here's the whole line!

kid RM

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly from a paying Customer and former volunteer.

The Good,
Another awesome event! Fantastic COI! To see so many Rifleman scores was incredible! Huzzah! Very stirring history. The Shoot Boss and two of IITs performed second to none.

The Bad,
History should be told with passion and knowledge of it. Don't fumble through, just to check the box for advancement.
One on one instruction should not include a borage of "I", NO where in the manual is this instructed.
Calling the line is no place for the soft of voice. SAFETY demands it.

The Ugly,
The lack of professionalism and maturity of a Red hat instructor to be so defiant and question the shoot Boss infront of the entire line for two days was unbelievable. Two of my grown children brought it to my attention on the second day of viewing it.
An IIt displayed an arrogance second to none, during one course of fire he approached two repeat Rifleman, provided corrective instruction then proceed past six teen aged shooters who were struggling with slings and they missed the entire course of fire frustrated. This particular IIT became a subject of observation for my group of seven who never once observed him helping a struggling participant either day.
I'm sure there will be repercussions from this report that will effect my future involvement in the Appleseed program.
The behavior of one instructor has soured two of my grown kids into not returning.
Project appleseed is such a great program,yet under the influence of poor leadership.

God Speed
Rifleman 4/2021
Pistoleer™ 6/2021

OutlawWalt

What a weekend! Had a total blast, huge thanks to Shootboss eert and the others for running a swift and safe line start to finish. Special thanks to Eert for the new nickname and for running an event worthy of bringing new people to! See you in the snow for winterseed!

Ambi

Even though I didnt attend this one i heard about how amazing this event was. Special thanks to Pat (eert) again for showing all of us that you are a man who knows very well what he is about. And helping so many shooters achieve rifleman this time around. Stay dangerous old man!

GreenBean

What an awesome turnout for the event last weekend! I had so much fun getting to requalify after taking a 2 year break to stay home and take care of my little kiddo. :) I want to especially thank Pat for still being such an amazing shootboss and teacher. His dedication and teaching skills are the reason my whole family enjoys coming to Appleseed so much. I really hope he's still shootboss when my daughter is old enough to bring to her first event. Keep up the good work Eert, thanks for all you do!   

Puddles

LittleTom

I finally made it onto the forum, this was a great event to kick off my Appleseed experience. I learned a lot about different techniques and new ways  to apply previous knowledge to improve my shooting overall. I am looking forward to attending the April event to see what else I can learn. The event itself went well, and Im excited for patriots day!