News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Searsboro, Iowa KD: 14-15Oct2023

Started by IXOYE, October 16, 2023, 01:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IXOYE

We had an outstanding weekend at the Searsboro, Iowa KD event despite the chilly weather with temperatures hovering near 50 degrees and the constant 20-30 mph headwinds. Our shooters came prepared and they didn't let the weather hinder their progress. Our event was sold out with fifteen shooters on Saturday and eleven on Sunday. Almost everyone was shooting some form of 223, one was a bullpup, a couple had noise suppressors, and one muzzle break. One shooter was shooting a bolt action 308. Everyone was shooting with some form of optic ranging from a 4 MOA red-dot to scopes with BDC reticles.

Saturday morning we spent time developing ballistic curve data for everyone's rifle and starting our first full distance AQT. Saturday afternoon was dedicated to more AQT's. Sunday morning we started with some scope calibration and range estimation exercises. Then we moved to the 250 yard line to shoot the Morgan Shingle. After that we went into the AQT grind.

Weekend Results were phenomenal:
     # of Shooters: 15 on Saturday, 11 on Sunday
     New Rifleman: 3
New KD Qualified: 8
     Re-Qualify KD: 1
   Morgan Shingle: 5 out of 11
  New Orange Hat: 1

Specific details that I recall are as follows:

Saturday AQT's:
Clayton: 48       (Earning his KD plus distinguished patches, plus taking an Orange Hat (age 15))
     Josh: 41, 44 (Re-qualifying with a bolt action 308)
    Brian: 43       (Earning his KD patch)
      Eric: 41, 42 (Earning his KD patch)
     Alex: 45       (Earning his KD patch)

Sunday Morgan Shingle:
   Brent
   Jeremy
   Braden
   Nicholas
   Justin

Sunday AQT's:
      Alex: 40, 40            (re-qualify from Saturday)
  Jeremy: 43, 45, 44, 43 (Earning his KD patch)
    Justin: 42                  (Earning his rifleman and KD patches)
  Braden: 42                  (Earning his rifleman patch)
     Brian: 44                  (re-qualify from Saturday)
Brandon: 42                  (Earning his rifleman and KD patches on his 2nd Appleseed event)

Those who didn't qualify were all very close, with several having multiple targets that were just one or two points shy of the required 40 hits.

All in all it was a fantastic shoot and I very much enjoyed the weekend.

Many thanks to our instructors Cort, Shannon, and Mark for their excellent presentations and coaching on the line. Many thanks to Greg for bringing some full size AQT targets with extra space at the bottom to help when developing our bullet drop data, and for getting the four wheeler and trailer to help with moving targets and people up and down the range. A final thank you to the Big Springs shooting range for hosting our event!

We ended the weekend with a shout of three Huzzah's! One for the patriots of 1775 who fought to secure our liberties, one for our group and the fantastic results we accomplished, and one for what each of us will do in the future!

The only thing necessary for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing! (Edmund Burke)

IXOYE

I forgot to mention we had one shooter travel from Michigan and two shooters travel from Illinois to participate in our event.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing! (Edmund Burke)

ProudPapa14

Woot!  Sounds like a great event and great group of patriots on the line.  Well done to each of you.

Ames

Here are a few pics of the weekend and some of our patch awardees.  Congrats all around! 

I got nearly 30,000 steps in for the weekend hiking between firing lines, plus 20 mph wind resistance.  Who knew there would be such health benefits.  I sure slept well each night.  LOL. 

Burnett

I had a good time. A frustrating time, but a good time.
I shot 5 AQT's and got 39, 39, 37, and a couple of others in the lower 30's.  !@#) !@#) !@#)
This seems to have become a SOP for me.
It was good to see friends and meet new ones.
My pleasure on the targets and the transportation; I think we'd have gotten more shooting in if we had people actually ride. Especially the 3 and 4 hundred firing lines.
I have talked to the range guy and am trying to get them a running gear on which they could build a hay rack sort of thing.

towl

Illinois brothers checking in.

Our first KD and our most memorable Appleseed to date.

Came for knowledge and patches, left with knowledge and patches.

We were astonished by the high level of proficiency of all 15 shooters at this event.

Shoot boss picked up on that and put us straight to work - it was awesome.

We left as better Riflemen, and better Americans.

Thank you all!

Huzzah!

Drfury

Ah man, looks like I missed a great event! Congrats to all who got their KD patches! As someone who has shot KD on this range twice, even if you don't score rifleman it's just such a great learning opportunity.
Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain.

Callies

I've attended several appleseed 25m events and a Appleseed Pistol Clinic 1-day clinic over the past few years.  This was my first KD event.  It's been a personal goal of mine to earn my Rifleman patch since my first event but I was a bit intimidated by taking my rifle out to 400.

The bad:
-rifle experienced some failure-to-feed issues, resolved by thoroughly cleaning chamber and bcg
-twice forgetting to remove chamber flag before starting a course of fire

The good:
-started day two getting the cold bore Morgan's shingle
-learning practical range estimation
-narrowly missing my riflemen with a score of 39 - giving me hope
-coming back on the next AQT and following up with a 42, finally earning that patch!
-meeting some new friends and seeing some old ones along the way

It was a wonderful weekend with an excellent cadre of instructors and some great shooters on the line.  It is a weekend I will never forget!

Captain

Sounds like a great KD event! Sorry I missed it!
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

Twineagles

The results are outstanding. Great job of putting new knowledge to work.
Every time I teach a class, I discover I don�t know something - Clint Smith

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. � John Wayne

Morganhasshingles

Rex,

Michigan attendee here.  I started talking to Shannon but couldn't finish asking this question.  So your the unfortunate one now!

Appleseed says the military taught this way of shooting until recently when things went to CQB.  I asked my Marine friend who was in in the 90s and he confirmed that is how hey trained but instead of 400m it was 500m.

First, why do we shoot at 400m instead of 500m even though most long ranges have the 500m available?

Second, given the military's change to CQB training and the nature of modern warfare, do you see a continued need for training marksmanship this older way?

Third, assume you do see the continued need for this older style of training.  In your opinion, is the 5.56 CALIBER the best choice for the minutemen of today?  If not, what is your preferred caliber for the minutemen or Morgan's men of today?

After all, the redcoats no longer march straight up to us lined up.

Burnett

Greg here, not Rex or Shannon, but I'll have a go.

The AQT is not based on a "military qualification" in general or a USMC qualification; it is based on the old US Army qualification which went to 400 yards and was shot at "Known Distance". The modern Army qual is 300m, unknown distance.

Absolutely. This is the fundamentals. You wouldn't try learning Formula 1 driving without knowing how to drive a sedan. CQB type shooting has its place. Olympic bullseye has its place. Other disciplines have their places. Basic Rifle Marksmanship has its place at the core of all of them.

Some might be "sensitive" about #3, so I'll PM you about that.

Greg