News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Dorr, MI Known Distance September 30-October 1, 2023

Started by SteelThunder, October 06, 2023, 12:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelThunder

I.  LOVE.  KD. 

Many thanks to the South Kent Sportsman's Club for hosting 10 outstanding Americans on a beautiful (but warm for the Midwest) fall weekend.  The attentiveness, good nature, collaboration and persistence shown by all is what makes me have hope for our country.

Saturday was spent ensuring we had a round 25 or 100 yard zero then getting good dope on our rifles out to 400.  Multiple sighter strings, with "just in time" instruction of our fundamental POIs meant everyone was tuned in to their systems.  We worked in 1 AQT.  We finished with a Morgan's shingle shoot where 5 earned their shingle patch.

Sunday started again with a Morgan's shingle shoot then a quick review of fundamental POIs and confirmation of our zeros and come ups.  In addition to multiple AQTs during the day, we also worked in a "know your limits" fun shoot on steel and a 2-man ranging exercise.  FABULOUS prizes were awarded for the winners.

Congrats to our KD Riflemen, Ted, Bogie, Don, Scott and Perry.  Thanks also to our instructor cadre, Oz, Geek, JHB, Fidget, wingwrench and IcyChicken.

:pics:

NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Zorak

I didn't attend, but Wingwrench has one again offered me the privilege of posting the photos he took. Without further ago...

wingwrench

HOE.   LEE.    COW!!

Have heard many, many times that "Appleseed is a full distance program". Even as an instructor (in training) I never appreciated that concept until now. Now I get it.

Every shoot I go to works to restore my perspective of how many good people we do have in this Country. Thank y'all for coming out and making my weekend THAT good.

South Kent Sportsman's Club is a facility to make a person smile. I hope all is that area appreciate what they have nearby. Thank you for the use of that range!!

The results of the two man ranging exercise was impressive. I think the understanding of the concept was the fabulous prize for me.

Bless you, thank you to everyone there that weekend. It took everyone's participation to make the weekend THAT good!!

Geek

https://imgur.com/hky5ZRH

It was indeed a great time.  I always enjoy this location.  The club members that visit are very friendly and interested in what we are doing.  The cadre is a lot of fun to work with too.
"That gallant officer is General Fraser. I admire him, but it is necessary that he should die. Do your duty."  - Morgan's orders to Timothy Murphy at the Second Battle of Saratoga 1777, Oct 7

Our cause is just . . . our country will be grateful - George Rogers Clark

"This country has been made by the Timothy Murphys, the men in the ranks. Conditions here called for qualities of heart and hand that Tim Murphy had in abundance. Our histories should tell us more about the men in the ranks, for it was to them, more than to the generals that we were indebted for our military victories." -  Franklin Delano Roosevelt, as New York Governor, 1929, at the dedication of the memorial to Murphy