News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

"Marlin 795 "ease of use" modifications"

Started by Newsletter, September 27, 2023, 05:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newsletter

"Marlin 795 "ease of use" modifications" By: Mrs. Smith

Now that the Standard COF has a legit dry fire component ( O0 )  I find I have a hiccup with my Marlin 795 loaners.

These rifles are stupid accurate, BUT.... they cannot be dry fired without a magazine inserted.  For several reasons, this is less than ideal. First and foremost, safety, of course. Second, the auto bolt lock back feature when there's an empty mag in place, preventing smooth dry fire sequences. (addendum, I've searched the owner's manual - there's nothing to indicate these rifles cannot be safely dry fired)

I can certainly fill that magazine with snap caps, if needs be, but I heard a rumor there's a mod.

Disclaimer: I am not recommending you do these modifications yourself.  Proceed at your own risk, or have a qualified gunsmith do the work.  &)

I've already removed the "Nub of Satan" from both rifles' magazine wells, making for much easier magazine removal.

I've found the relatively straightforward mod that allows for a "slingshot" bolt release (like the bolt release on a modified 10/22) https://youtu.be/wKFa4YAOyTs

Both of these simple mods don't affect the rifle's performance, but they do make it more user friendly, particularly for stone-cold "I've never touched a rifle before" new shooters.

[...] this [next] mod eliminates the Magazine Bolt Disconnect, so that the rifle can be dry fired without having a magazine inserted.

https://youtu.be/rx1nnr3l42s

There's another modification that allows the bolt release to be operated exactly like a 10/22 with the auto bolt release, or "slingshot" upgrade.  Pull back, let go.

While the bolt release mechanism on a 795 is already simple and easy, I like the idea of making this mod because it makes the manual of arms for the 795 very much the same as the 10/22, which is nice when you're explaining function and use to a group of new shooters, and both models are on the line.

That modification requires a bit of mechanical aptitude, and the willingness to cut notches in a couple spots on the bolt mechanism.  Also, the most pertinent part of this video is sped up REALLY fast. I had to watch it a bunch of times with lots of pausing to get the info I needed.

But by golly it worked!  One down, one to go  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOvgR7xhAMs

Newsletter

As a follow-up to the above piece, the Author tracked down an article detailing the Marlin 795 Magwell Modification, known as "removing the Nub of Satan".

[Editor's Note: There is some language in the piece concerning politics after the 1800's. Project Appleseed does not endorse or discuss any current politics (i.e. politics after 1899). This piece is included solely for the technical aspects of the article and how it pertains to the Marlin 795.]