News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Indiana state patch

Started by Geek, September 21, 2023, 09:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geek

I have been trying to come up with something unique to Indiana that would work in a patch.  Attached is something I put together as a starting point.  I am thinking something in the 1"x2" size.  If someone can add to this or run with it in a different direction, I would love to see what is out there.  I chose George Rogers Clark as he took Fort Sackville from British occupation in 1779.  This was considered the farthest West of any Revolutionary War battle and played a part in demonstrating the colonists' resolve to win their independence.
"That gallant officer is General Fraser. I admire him, but it is necessary that he should die. Do your duty."  - Morgan's orders to Timothy Murphy at the Second Battle of Saratoga 1777, Oct 7

Our cause is just . . . our country will be grateful - George Rogers Clark

"This country has been made by the Timothy Murphys, the men in the ranks. Conditions here called for qualities of heart and hand that Tim Murphy had in abundance. Our histories should tell us more about the men in the ranks, for it was to them, more than to the generals that we were indebted for our military victories." -  Franklin Delano Roosevelt, as New York Governor, 1929, at the dedication of the memorial to Murphy

Big John

A long time ago, there was a run of upper rockers for the Isaac Davis Volunteer Badge (the one that goes on your shoot jacket and you put rockers up and down it) that said INDIANA. Those could be remade; I know the vendor that made them. I may have one still; I'd have to find it.

Geek

I like that idea.  The rocker is more for cadre and would love to have one.  The attached pic shows some other state patches.  I have seen them awarded to border raiders and participants that successly clear red coats.
"That gallant officer is General Fraser. I admire him, but it is necessary that he should die. Do your duty."  - Morgan's orders to Timothy Murphy at the Second Battle of Saratoga 1777, Oct 7

"This country has been made by the Timothy Murphys, the men in the ranks. Conditions here called for qualities of heart and hand that Tim Murphy had in abundance. Our histories should tell us more about the men in the ranks, for it was to them, more than to the generals that we were indebted for our military victories." -  Franklin Delano Roosevelt, as New York Governor, 1929, at the dedication of the memorial to Murphy

Mrs. Smith

Good afternoon, gents.

As you contemplate your patch, please permit me to offer a little guidance.

You have a lot of options. The state rocker, for instance. I have a Texas one. That's easy stuff, and definitely doable. 

There was a design created, I think by someone in Michigan, that was meant to be customized for each state.

If you choose to go original, like Alabama, Florida, Pennsylvania, Maryland, etc, you have a LOT of options.

Bear in mind, please, that if you chose to incorporate elements distinctly Appleseed, ie the name, the silhouette, the slogan, Rifleman, etc, the design needs to go to marketing for approval. Those elements are Appleseed intellectual property.

When I get back on my laptop I'll post some examples of each, if that would be helpful.
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Big John

Conrad industries, I believe, did the order of 50 Indiana rockers I had made in 2015. They probably have the file on file and could do more for the cadre.

I think Geek wants a MORALE PATCH.  :)

We need an Appleseed flag on the side, and a bullet speeding over a bean field, and maybe a flying F1 wheel on a ballistic arc in the background.  ;D

Geek

Big John,
I like the way you think.  Sounds like you volunteered to make such a thing happen.  Great idea/s.

Big John

I could handle the rocker, if there is a demand from the cadre.

Big John

With the recent post from the brass, it seems that the state rocker has been nationalized and revitalized. It is to be for the cadre in the state per the rules in the announcement thread.

Thusly, it seems that we are directed to, and able to, do the state patch for morale. It can be large, nice, unique, and awarded as we see fit. I have read somewhere that clearing the Redcoat target is a good qualifier and could be used to earn one.

I think the state map is a good shape and size to the patch. Even though Vincennes is important, I don't think we should put a star on it.

Geek

The star marks fort sackville.  It is close to Vincennes,  but not the same.  Either way is fine with me.  Feel free to add color and improve as you see fit.  I was only trying to get the concept started.

Mrs. Smith

Bumping this, to add that at present, I am the only active member of the marketing team. Please collaborate with me before going to production, particularly if any elements are used that are commonly associated with Appleseed.

Thanks
Traci

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on September 25, 2023, 07:26:12 PMGood afternoon, gents.

As you contemplate your patch, please permit me to offer a little guidance.

You have a lot of options. The state rocker, for instance. I have a Texas one. That's easy stuff, and definitely doable. 

There was a design created, I think by someone in Michigan, that was meant to be customized for each state.

If you choose to go original, like Alabama, Florida, Pennsylvania, Maryland, etc, you have a LOT of options.

Bear in mind, please, that if you chose to incorporate elements distinctly Appleseed, ie the name, the silhouette, the slogan, Rifleman, etc, the design needs to go to marketing for approval. Those elements are Appleseed intellectual property.

When I get back on my laptop I'll post some examples of each, if that would be helpful.
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Hemi286

What about using the state flag and changing the torch in the middle to the minuteman? Very crude drawing but you get the idea.  Or Geek I could use your  Clark statue or even Parker's as the model.
Hemi is my nickname. 286 my highest unofficial AQT score. It only took me and the two people beside me who accidentally shot my target to get it.

SteelThunder

I vote that IN create their state patch EXACTLY LIKE Hemi DREW IT.  It is impossible to improve on that...
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Hemi286

Thanks Steel. I will have an artist render the patch using a custom Clark pose holding a musket. We could talk about him and the capturing of Vincennes, when passing it out via clearing a redcoat target. 

If it doesn't turn out ok or we don't like it, we can go a different route.
Hemi is my nickname. 286 my highest unofficial AQT score. It only took me and the two people beside me who accidentally shot my target to get it.

SteelThunder

No...I mean EXACTLY as drawn.  No further work needed   ;D
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Big John

The Indiana state flag is horrible, imho.

Geek

Quote from: Big John on January 18, 2024, 06:33:21 PMThe Indiana state flag is horrible, imho.

This looks like Big John volunteering to take on this task  :pop:

devilkitty

I have been giving this some thought since I moved to the sunny side of the state line...
I've attached a suggestion. (Kindly forgive my abysmal graphics software skills.)
Charlie
Grovertown, Ind.

Have Blue Hat -- Will Travel
"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers." -- Thomas Pynchon
"A people who forget who they are will become whatever they are told they are." -- Graywolf

Geek

Quote from: devilkitty on January 19, 2024, 07:03:22 PMI have been giving this some thought since I moved to the sunny side of the state line...
I've attached a suggestion. (Kindly forgive my abysmal graphics software skills.)

The more I look at this one, the more I like it.  We should use the Indiana IBC as an opportunity to discuss our morale patch.

sur+rifle

I also am no artist.  But Geek's recent history on Fort Sackville got me thinking.  Maybe the George Rogers Clark flag that flew over Fort Sackville with the Indiana image superimposed and the "unwavering determination" quote added would work.  Something like this:

I believe that it is the only Revolutionary War Flag which was made in Indiana (in Vincennes).  Some say it was completed before George Rogers Clark even made it to Indiana, but it is forever tied up in his victory there.

Big John

The suggestion I alluded to last weekend. (edit: it's about 25% serious, you may laugh.)

sur+rifle

Quote from: Big John on February 10, 2024, 02:15:10 AMThe suggestion I alluded to last weekend. (edit: it's about 25% serious, you may laugh.)

It's missing "Don't tread on me"....sorry couldn't resist.