News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Pineappleseed

Started by SamD, April 11, 2009, 06:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Da Kine

Aloha from Hawaii!!!!

I am new to the Appleseed idea, and I like it! I live on Oahu and we have one public range here. I am not trying to be negative here, I just want to let you know that there is a huge barrier that will have to be overcome if Appleseed is going to get a foot hold here. The range is on Honolulu City/County land and is run by the County. It is located inside the Kokohead crater (old volcano). The website for the range is www.khsc.info. It is free to shoot the rifle and pistol sides and costs $3/day to shoot the metal target range. We have some clubs here as well as areas to shoot shotgun. We also have an archery range. It is quite a beautiful complex. And very well run, too I might add.

I was on the Big Island for over a year before moving here and there is one range there as well. You have to belong to the local gun club in order to have access to the range. I am not sure if that would make things easier or harder to get a foot hold but like I said, there is a barrier that needs to be overcome.

I work a regular 40 hour a week job and I am trying to get my small web hosting business to grow faster than it has been. So if there is someone here who is organizing the effort I will be happy to do some volunteer work.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions about how things are out here in Hawaii.

Regards,
Dave

Earl

Okay, now there are two of you (cram1903 & Da Kine) on Oahu, one a member of a club. That is a small start.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

bill o rites

i will be ion oahu the first week of nov 2010 would be available to help out  :)
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor and Success of this army depend. Remember officers and soldiers, that you are Freemen, fighting for the blessings of Liberty - that slavery will be your portion, and that of your posterity, if you do not acquit yourselves like men-1776

"If ever a time should come when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government,our country will stand in need of it's experienced patriots to prevent it's ruin." Samuel Adams,1780

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Crazy Cat

Aloha, everyone.

I live on the Big Island.  I'm in the Big Island Gun Club, I can arrange to use that range, if there's enough interest. 

Fred

Quote from: Crazy Cat on April 15, 2011, 03:00:41 PM
Aloha, everyone.

I live on the Big Island.  I'm in the Big Island Gun Club, I can arrange to use that range, if there's enough interest.

Full speed ahead, Crazy Cat!

Let's get an event set up, and promote the devil out of it. I'll see if I can come for the inaugural HI event!

BTW, what do you figure for range capacity, and how long do you think it will take to shepherd getting the event thru all the hoops, before it gets on the club calendar?
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

AFTERMATH

Quote from: Crazy Cat on April 15, 2011, 03:00:41 PM
Aloha, everyone.

Of course there's interest! 

Who wouldn't want to be at the first Appleseed in Hawaii? 
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Crazy Cat

8 shooting points for 100/200yds (more if we move out from under the tarps), another 10 on the pistol side with a 60 yd berm, and we just put up a 25yd berm that would fit 20 or so, but that part has no overhead cover, so it's either too hot or too wet.

The next newsletter comes out at the end of June, so late July/early August would be good.  No problem getting it approved by the board; I'll start the wheels rolling this week.

Just to have a date to shoot for, how about August 7th?  We had been shooting High Power the first Sunday of every month until it got down to just two of us; there's nothing scheduled for first Sundays in the current newsletter.

If there's enough interest, we could do it every month.  The club even has rifles to lend to folks who don't want the hassle of taking their own rifle through airport security.

SavageShootr

Hey CrazyCat.

Appleseeds are two day rifle clinics. Is that going to work at that range? We usually hold them Saturday and Sunday.

SS

"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

Crazy Cat

Third weekend would be better, then (second weekend is IDPA/IPSC); August 20/21.  The first Saturday of every month is devoted to range clean-up, that's not something we want to reschedule.  August 21 would be action rifle, but I run that match, so consider those dates firm. 

Anyone who's coming from off island and doesn't want to spring for a hotel can camp at the range; it's pretty primitive, but at least there's a flush toilet and tarps to keep off the rain.  We can probably arrange transportation from the airport, too.