News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Puryear, TN, KD - September 16-17

Started by dond, September 18, 2023, 10:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dond

What a great event, and the weather was perfect. We were blessed with thirteen highly motivated and enthusiastic shooters. Five of them made the Rifleman's Score; Michael, Alan, Ron, David, and Nicholson. Others were close. And furthermore, Nicholson's score was Distinguished.

Eight of them shot Morgan's Shingle cold bore; Darold, David, Steven, Ron, David, Avery, Joshua, and Nicholson. Furthermore, after shooting it on the first day, Joshua and Nicholson shot it standing on the second day.

And the instructors; ArmyVet, Captain, and JPL performed admirably.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Captain

This was a really enjoyable event and I'm glad I was able to be a part of it. The covered long distance range at Henry County is perfect as was the weather. JPL provided transportation down range and we were all able to relax and just concentrate on shooting. A special nod to Mustang and the Midsouth Riflemen who make every Appleseed in the region a success. I happy to know the "Memphis Crew".

With that said, Shoot Boss asked if I would make sure we had a few pictures from the event so here ‘tis. Click on any photo to zoom in (or download) and click again to return to thumbnail view.

Here's a group photo we took at some point on Sunday afternoon. There are more photos to come.

It is not because things are difficult
that we do not dare.
It is because we do not dare
that they are difficult.

~ Seneca, Roman philosopher and statesman.

There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

Captain

When we weren't shooting, there were classes on shooting known distance and stories from the American Revolution.

It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Captain

Day 1 shooting started with a cold bore shot in the tradition of Morgan's Rifleman. Several shooters found their mark. Shooters also qualified and requalified as Known Distance Riflemen.

Captain

Day 2 was another opportunity to try the cold bore shot with a couple of shooters hitting the shingle from standing!

RiverRat Rifleman

What a great weekend!  The instruction and camaraderie was superb.   Every instructor provided  me with tips that improved shooting.   Some takeaways for me were:
    1.  NPOA is king in this event.
    2.  Fire at respiratory pause.
    3.  If your scope has the capacity for a zero stop or uses shims on the turret, its a good idea to use them or you can get lost adjusted the turret.

I am looking forward to next year.
Rifleman (scoped) Memphis
Rifleman (open sights) Jackson
Morgan's Shingle Puryear
Known Distance Huntsville
Pistoleer™ Memphis

Mrs. Smith

This looks awesome!  And new additions to Morgan's Riflemen as a bonus  ^:)^ :bow:

Don, if you or Captain could please post Morgan's Men to the Roster so that they can be officially included on it, I'd be grateful.  Also please PM me regarding those who struck the Shingle from Standing. I have a little something extra for them  :cool2:

Huzzah!
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

dond

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on September 20, 2023, 01:57:52 PM
This looks awesome!  And new additions to Morgan's Riflemen as a bonus  ^:)^ :bow:

Don, if you or Captain could please post Morgan's Men to the Roster so that they can be officially included on it, I'd be grateful.  Also please PM me regarding those who struck the Shingle from Standing. I have a little something extra for them  :cool2:

Huzzah!
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

dond

SavvySteve

This is an older AAR but I was just poking around and was looking at the Morgan Shingle roster and see that none of us from the September 16-17, 2023 PurYear KD event have made it on the list.

Here are my compiled notes based of the pictures, other comments on this thread and my memory.

On Saturday based on the picture 5 people hit the shingle.  3 of 5 are Midsouth Riflmen.  Don's comment mentions Joshua and Nicholson... that N.B from our group.  Pretty sure Joshua is the tall guy behind Don D in the day 1 photo, I recall he was quite the shooter and pretty sure he shot it standing.  Don't know the man standing in the red shirt right beside Don in the day 1 photo.

- N.B. (Doc) P.  - Standing
- David H.
- Ron S.
- Joshua - Standing
- Unknown shooter to the right of Don (Darold?)

Reviewing the pictures.  On Sunday three Midsouth Riflemen hit the shingle.

- Avery B. 
- David P.
- Steven J. aka SavvySteve

-> First Appleseed - 11/14/2020 ___ Rifleman - 9/25/2021
-> IBC Memphis, TN - 3/6/2022  ___ Orange Hat (IIT0) - 3/6/2022
-> First KD - 9/17/2022 ___ Rifleman re-qualified - 9/25/2022
-> IBC Jonesboro, AR - 2/11/2023 ___ Rifleman re-qualified - 4/23/2023
-> IIT2 (Memphis, TN 5/20/2023) - 6/7/2023 ___ Second KD, Hit the Morgan Shingle! - 9/17/2023
-> First Appleseed Pistol Clinic Qualified Pistoleer™ -  11/17/2023

dond

Steve,

I sent the names to Mrs. Smith. I will check with her. Thanks for pointing this out.

Don

SavvySteve

Quote from: dond on February 25, 2024, 12:49:47 PMSteve,

I sent the names to Mrs. Smith. I will check with her. Thanks for pointing this out.

Don

Okay, thank you Mr. Don! 

-> First Appleseed - 11/14/2020 ___ Rifleman - 9/25/2021
-> IBC Memphis, TN - 3/6/2022  ___ Orange Hat (IIT0) - 3/6/2022
-> First KD - 9/17/2022 ___ Rifleman re-qualified - 9/25/2022
-> IBC Jonesboro, AR - 2/11/2023 ___ Rifleman re-qualified - 4/23/2023
-> IIT2 (Memphis, TN 5/20/2023) - 6/7/2023 ___ Second KD, Hit the Morgan Shingle! - 9/17/2023
-> First Appleseed Pistol Clinic Qualified Pistoleer™ -  11/17/2023