News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

a story that should be retold.

Started by TomM1Thumb, August 05, 2023, 10:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM1Thumb

September 5, 2023, a story that should be retold.

SEPTEMBER 4TH 2009

Yesterday one of our best was called home. I learned late yesterday from Willorith that Madam Yotnottin had passed away. She came to an event at Myakka, Florida last year as an attendee along with her boss, Willorith. She liked it so much that she attended a second event, worked hard, got into shape and made Rifleman on the third try. She then set out on the IIT trail and was getting very good at passing on the heritage to her fellow Americans.

Although I only knew her briefly, I came to greatly respect her. She was always very positive and had a habit of wearing something purple - both traits that I personally found most endearing. She was as helpful as she was pleasant to be around. Unlike me, she needed no instruction on leaving her ego at the door as she had none to begin with.

I just served with her last Sunday and she worked closely with a female attendee that we had all tried to assist, but with little effect. Madam Yotnottin took her from a score not worth repeating to the upper 100s in 30 minutes.
As we all shook hands to leave the event last Sunday, I don't suppose that anyone of us didn't expect to be here the next weekend. Words cannot express the sadness I feel. Carpe Diem (seize the day) - you never know when it will be your last.

The light of Liberty has one less hand supporting it today.

Fred had a patch made in her honor. It is the Purple patch. Those that wear it need to know they are representing a wonderful woman with passion and persistence: a true riflewoman. She was the first Appleseed Instructor to pass.
God bless you Madam Yotnottin, may your days be filled with many rewarding hours walking the firing line and evenings chatting with the Founders around the campfire.

Signed,
P. Henry
Master Instructor, Florida
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

Google

It's always good to have the reminder of this important story.  Thanks for the reminder.   O0

malabar

My wife earned one of those coveted purple patches last year. It gave me the opportunity to tell the story.

I was terribly proud.

tk
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

TomM1Thumb

I could be wrong, But I do believe that every Florida Instructor should be able to tell the tale of the Purple Patch and the reason behind it. I can't think of a better way to remember Jackie, even thou I had never met Her. To Me She is a legend that needs to be Honored as much as We honor Our Founding Fathers!
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

JustKim

Her story is available on the website and can be ordered in Shoot Boxes.  Anyone in any state can order it.  It is a truly inspiring story!
ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan

ITB

Quote from: TomM1Thumb on September 04, 2023, 10:13:49 PM
I could be wrong, But I do believe that ever Florida Instructor should be able to tell the tale of the Purple Patch and the reason behind it. I can't think of a better way to remember Jackie, even thou I had never met Her. To Me She is a legend that needs to be Honored as much as We honor Our Founding Fathers!

It is my SOP that anyone who earns/requests the purple patch has to read Madam Yotnottin's story to the group.  I keep it on my phone and hand it to the recipient to read.
"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

rambo granny

Long ago we were told by ItsanSKS ,who had worked quite a few events with her, that the screen name "Madam Yotnottin" came from the habit Jackie had of saying things like "Yotnottin" be dragging wood. No doubt a rich rural flavor accompanied the words.
The original purple patch had the words "Yotnottin Ranger". Picture below shows the original patch which also was my first rifleman patch. 😆That was in the old days before events worked were ever counted. In fact, I think FL may only have had about 3 SBs in the state way back then???!!!
Re the counting of shoots worked….for anyone wearing one of those ðŸ'¯ service pins….an amazing thought…
If one considers just 10 students at an event (in reality, it's often more than that) and working 100 events, that equals 1000 souls, the instructor wearing that pin has helped l "infect" with LIBERTY!
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David