News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Shoot Boss for Muenster Aug Appleseed and Nov KD?

Started by Leam, July 28, 2023, 01:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leam

Hey all, who is the Shoot Boss for these two? I've been out of the loop for a while, but am on a different forum and folks are talking about showing up for these. I'm trying to encourage participation without being a raving lunatic.

So far only the forum admin and I knew of Appleseed.

AF5US

Hi Leam,

MRAKESTRAW is heading up the next event in August. I'll also be there, God willing 

I'll probably be running the KD in November.
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

Leam

AF5US, thanks! I'm trying to talk myself into the Aug event, but I struggle with heat stress. I can probably talk my wife into letting me skedaddle in Nov. May even try to make the Pistol class in Sep. If I'm going to do something, might as well do it with enthusiasm!

I think there's two guys who will make Aug. Not sure on Nov yet.

mrakestraw

Come on down! I'll be the Shoot Boss for that event. As a reminder we do have A/C on site if it's too hot.

Here's a link to the official event in August:

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=65850.0
07/21: Rifleman
12/21: KD Rifleman, Distinguished, Morgan's Shingle
01/22: Pistoleer™

Turbo Pin, Complete Combatant Black Belt Patches, 3.45 card, MSP 3/4 patch, Tier 1 Three Sevens patch

Come get more instruction with me!
My next class is: Sage Dynamics in March in Muenster, TX

Leam

Quote from: mrakestraw on July 28, 2023, 03:11:12 PM
Come on down! I'll be the Shoot Boss for that event. As a reminder we do have A/C on site if it's too hot.

Here's a link to the official event in August:

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=65850.0

Hey Pardner, thanks! That URL isn't in my permissions list, I'm only a spectator here. I started on the Instructor path, and then life went sideways.

Are you running the Pistol event in Sep?

AF5US

Either MRAKESTRAW or I will probably run the pistol clinic. There isn't much room left on the line, if you want to sign in I'd recommend doing so soon. MAYBE we will be able to add a COUPLE spots on the line but we can't guarantee that yet.

Leam

Just did a little seated and prone dry-fire, and my back reminded me that old fat guys are not good at contortion. I'll see if I can twist it into shape, though.

For the KD, are multiple mags required? I have a bolt gun with a 3 round mag, and I'm trying to build an AR that can reach out. This is my first build, though, so I'm never quite sure until it's done.

Tennessee Beast

Quote from: Leam on July 28, 2023, 05:55:02 PM
Just did a little seated and prone dry-fire, and my back reminded me that old fat guys are not good at contortion. I'll see if I can twist it into shape, though.

For the KD, are multiple mags required? I have a bolt gun with a 3 round mag, and I'm trying to build an AR that can reach out. This is my first build, though, so I'm never quite sure until it's done.

The number of rounds required of a KD are often the same as a 25 meter*.  Multiple mags that equal 10* rounds or more.
Stage 1 - 1 or more mags that equal 10 rounds
Stage 2 - 2 or more mags that equal 10 rounds (first mag must be 2 rounds)
Stage 3 - 2 or more mags that equal 10 rounds (first mag must be 2 rounds)
Stage 4 - 1 or more mags that equal 10 rounds*

*Stage 4 at a KD is sometimes 1 or more mags that equal 20 rounds...in this case, you do not double the hits/points on Stage 4

My vote is for an AR...but "Liberty, Yo!"
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

AF5US

You'll want multiple magazines, yes.  I would also avoid the very large magazines - 10 or 20 rounders are usually fine.

I would estimate 250 rounds for the weekend, but I would bring more if you have them.  Definitely try to make them all the make, model, bullet weight etc. - different rounds will have a different point of impact.

Be aware that this range does have a range qualification requirement, which is described on the home page.  You'll need to put 5 rounds in a 4 inch sticker from 100 yards.  You can use a shooting rest, bipod etc. when you qualify and you can have multiple attempts.

Looking forward to seeing you back out on the range, I've been wondering how you've been doing!

Leam

Quote from: AF5US on July 28, 2023, 06:41:23 PM
You'll want multiple magazines, yes.  I would also avoid the very large magazines - 10 or 20 rounders are usually fine.

Which says AR, since I'm not funded enough for a National Match M1A or one of those AICS mag bolt guns.   :)

Be aware that this range does have a range qualification requirement, which is described on the home page.  You'll need to put 5 rounds in a 4 inch sticker from 100 yards.  You can use a shooting rest, bipod etc. when you qualify and you can have multiple attempts.

Just set up a bipod and my one good scope on the bolt gun, will run it this weekend and make sure I can qualify. The AR build should be done by November, I hope.

Looking forward to seeing you back out on the range, I've been wondering how you've been doing!

Thanks! It's nice to be wondered about, and I've missed you all.

Leam

It doesn't actually count, but I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. 5 shots inside a lop-sided 4" circle, 100 yards. Savage Axis II in 223 (22" bbl, 1:9), Vortex scope, M855, slow fire.

AF5US

Leam

Thanks all! I've registered for the Muenster Aug Appleseed and the Nov KD. Looks like the Sep Pistol clinic is sold out, not sure if there's a way to get in on that. There's one in Temple, that's a two hotel night drive for me.  Hmm....

Leam

I sent one of my AQT targets to a friend who's doing his first Appleseed in a couple of weeks. Just to confirm, if a shot breaks the scoring line, it's counted as the higher score, correct?

A couple of folks on another forum are getting hyped about this. I've got to put in more practice so I don't look bad!

AF5US

If a shot breaks the scoring line, it counts for the higher point score (whatever that happens to be).

There's also the .30 caliber rule - If the ammunition used is .22 LR, and if upon inserting the brass casing into the hole and the rim of the casing crosses the line, it counts for the higher points.

We could get into all sorts of hows and whys, but the summary is this:
These targets are scaled down to represent a full-size silhouette at 25 meters, when firing a 30 caliber cartridge.  .22 LR is smaller than a 30 caliber, but the rim of the casing is pretty close.

Leam

Thank you sir! I'll let them know. I think we're talking up the KD as well, hopefully we can fill the line.

Leam

Well, it looks like we're qualifying for the Caliente Seed patch!    %)

Leam

I just noticed that my ticket says:   "You have successfully reserved 2 space/spaces for Muenster, TX Appleseed August 26-27, 2023." However, it should be 1 ticket and one RWVA membership. Hopefully no one got locked out of the event.

AF5US

Hi Leam,

No worries - there was space left on the line.  We've got a good showing but it's not a sold-out line, probably because of the heat.

If you contact scuzzy on the forum, he'll either be able to get you squared away on the membership or he'll point you in the right direction.

See you tomorrow!

Quote from: Leam on August 25, 2023, 05:30:49 PM
I just noticed that my ticket says:   "You have successfully reserved 2 space/spaces for Muenster, TX Appleseed August 26-27, 2023." However, it should be 1 ticket and one RWVA membership. Hopefully no one got locked out of the event.