News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed agenda?

Started by jollybfd, April 08, 2009, 03:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jollybfd

Hey, I just registered myself and my wife for the April Appleseed in Oxford, and am trying to talk a few friends into it too.  A question that has come up that I haven't found the answer to yet is; what is the agenda, or schedule of events, for the weekend?  Knowing that will help them at least make it to one day, or both.  Thanks in advance for your help!
Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest. - Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. - Thomas Jefferson

kDan

Jolly,

Thanks for signing up.  And I hope you get your friends out there too.

You can find a LOT on the web-site and on this forum, but I'll run through a few things real quick.  I'm not going to go into detail on everything, but just to give you an idea.

At the average event, we spend Saturday morning going over the basics - SAFETY!!!, positions, sling-use, steps to firing the shot (a lot of stuff in there!), Natural Point of Aim, cadence, and sight adjustments relative to minutes of angle (inches, minutes, clicks).  A ball and dummy drill is usually thrown in there to diagnose and cure big problems and we get around to shooting a few AQT's for score.  We work at 25 meters to concentrate on mechanics.  We talk about what it means to be a Rifleman, and the various aspects of the responsibility. 

Sunday, we get down to really breaking paper.  If there's a long range element to the event, this is when it happens.  We try to work out some real stubborn bugs with different kinds of exercises, depending on what's necessary to the group of shooters as decided by the instructors.  But mostly, on Sunday, we shoot.  By the end of the day, it's a pretty cool scene.  In a two-day event, you can expect to fire between 400 and 700 rounds depending on the region, the instructors, the number and tendencies of the shooters, and sometimes, the weather.

Perhaps the most unique and maybe the most important element to an Appleseed is that the whole week-end is interspersed with discussions and presentations by our charismatic instructors as to the events leading up to and including April 19, 1775, the battle of Lexington and Concord, and how we can view and experience these events from our modern perspective.  If you can convince your friends to join you at Oxford on the week-end of 4/19, you will all be treated to a special event indeed.  Perhaps they will be part of a world-record setting event because of the number of shooters we will have on the line, simultaneously, across the country.

In general, if you can only make one day, make it Saturday.  If you show up on Sunday for your first AS event, you will start from behind and not get everything out of the experience.  You will also perhaps pull some instructor time away from the group.  But this particular week-end, you don't wanna miss a thing.

I hope that somebody else will follow up this post with links and more details.  I just thought I'd get you started.
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

PHenry

jolly,

What KDan said.

I always recommend that all attend both days, as everyone that doesn't regrets it.

If only one day is possible - make it Saturday. All points of instruction are gone over in detail on Saturday.

Practice does not make perfect - that is a popular myth.

Only perfect practice makes perfect and that is what we focus on Saturday.

We do revue all on Sunday, but pace is hectic, especially for a new shooter, or anyone who has little recent trigger time.
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata