News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Battle Road

Started by Patriot1775, June 02, 2023, 01:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot1775

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but...  I'm heading up to Battle Road next week.  I'll be there about a day and a half.  Any pointers from those in the know?

upacreek

Bring bug spray.  I think you're at peak mosquito, no-see-um, horse fly, and gnat season.  Get off the groomed path and walk up to Parker's Revenge.  The vantage point is worth it.  If you aren't walking the 5 miles (the walking trail is only from Meriam's Corner to Fiske Hill/Parker's Revenge), see if there's a copy of all the spots of interest along the way.  They describe how the terrain looked in 1775.  It was obviously a bit different than now.  See how many rock walls you can find. Stop at the North Bridge, Lexington Green, and do Freedom Trail starting at the Boston Common if you've got the time. Downtown Arlington (Menotomy) was eh - There were signs and all, but it was a disappointment to me to see them blended into the busy area.  I walked right past the one I was looking for even with a GPS in my hand.

Have fun!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

lupis42

If you'll be up around a weekend, Hartwell's tavern is open a few hours every day, and has re-enactors in or around it.  The Old North Bridge is a few minutes drive from Merriam's Corner, don't skip that visit. 
You can never be too rich, too good looking, or too well armed.

HoosierGunGuy

Following this post hoping for good information to pop up I am planning a trip also.

HoosierGunGuy

Quote from: Patriot1775 on June 02, 2023, 01:25:02 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place, but...  I'm heading up to Battle Road next week.  I'll be there about a day and a half.  Any pointers from those in the know?

Let us know how the trip was

desert_diver

I visited Battle Road NHP in ~2013.  I highly recommend the Hartwell Tavern - good living history and a nice museum.  Standing on the path the Acton Minute Men took to the North Bridge a spine-tingling experience. 

On a side note, I very much enjoyed the Charlestown Navy Yard / USS Constitution tour.

Jon (desert_diver)

Patriot1775

The trip was great and I'm sure once in a lifetime.  I'm still sorting the ton's of pics me and DD took.  Besidd the green, of course, my two favorite spots were The North Bridge and Meriam's Corner.  Both were fascinating to me.  If you didn't know what Meriam's Corner was you wouldn't even see it I don't think.  You can see where the troops had to pull in to get across the swampish area.  I felt chills.  I would recommend this trip to anyone interested in our Stories.  I hope to put a scrap book together to share at Appleseed events.

gunjunkie

Can't wait to hear the whole story Rick.
Be aware of yourself and everything around you.

Honesty is the first chapter of the book of wisdom! Thomas Jefferson

We shall pass this way on earth but once, if there is a kindness we can show, or act we can do, let us do it now,for we will never pass this way again.
Stephen Grellet

JustKim

SO COOL!!!!  Can't wait to see pictures!!
ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan

Patriot1775