News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Watervliet MI May 6-7, 2023

Started by SteelThunder, May 08, 2023, 09:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelThunder

Well, after a whacky Saturday weather scene, this event turned a fantastic group of Americans into friends, Riflemen and patriots.

Once again, thanks to the WRGC for hosting.  They always roll out the red carpet and this weekend was not different.  We had a very diverse group in our 12 participants with attendees from 2 miles away and as far as Indiana, Ohio, Illinois and Kentucky.  Saturday was...umm...unique with thunderstorms and showers plaguing us (but the forecast said 75 and sunny!!!) all morning.  Never fear, we stayed in the clubhouse and learned about sling use, steady hold factors, 6 steps and NPOA.  Plus an early lunch (elevensies) and the first and second strike.  Once we got rolling in the afternoon, the learning had clearly set in as even on the Redcoat, student took time to find their NPOA and make good hits.  While we didn't get an AQT in, we did learn a lot and got ready to come back blazing on Sunday morning.

Sunday worked out to be a great day weather wise, however, we battled ticks all day and had many a tick sacrifice at the alter of Mount Watervliet.  Our repeat family the Volks, turned in fantastic scores and Leon and Paul showed they remembered their old trick.  John scored Rifleman on the last AQT before he had to leave.  Our intrepid physician Steve rocked his iron-sighted CZ bolt gun to score with first a 215 and repeat at 216.  We had such great improvements from Marcelo, Lucas, Lauren, Josh, Larry, and David.  Brian and Anthony are knocking on the door and I can't wait for them to come back to show they know what they are about.

Many thanks as usual to WRGC and thanks to my wonderful instructor cadre MI-Copperhead and Oz.  You make me look good (in more ways than one.) 
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Oz

It really was a great weekend.  Thank you all for coming out and giving us the opportunity to work with you.  I was happy to see familiar faces (including one from my first event as a student, in 2012) and to meet such great new people.  It was a privilege, and I appreciate it.

Congratulations to our repeat Riflemen and our new Rifleman! 

I hope you practice what you learned, and come back and see us again.  Remember the rimfire known distance event at Watervliet, and the centerfire full distance event at Dorr, and the Pistol event in Watervliet.  Lots of opportunities to learn!  (And bring friends back to 25m events--that way you'll have friends to come with you to the other events, too!)

Thank you again!

Steel and Copperhead, it was an honor, as always.  Oz
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

MI-copperhead

I can't think of a better way of spending a weekend than imparting American Revolutionary War history and rifle marksmanship instruction to a more worthy group of participants.
Dave, Larry, Brian, Leon and Steve definitely showed that they possess the spirit of the men of Alarm list and Project Appleseed to impovise, adapt, overcome  and the persistence that it takes to become or be riflemen.
I was humbled to watch Steve shoot 2 qualifying scores with a bolt gun equipped with iron sights.
I was pleased to see all our attendees soak up the instruction and turn it in to small shot groups.
Big thanks to Steel Thunder and OZ for excellent leadership and keeping the time monkey off our backs with Saturday's challenging weather.
Hope to see everyone on the line again somewhere soon!
Morgan's Rifleman 250 yard cold bore, 10/29/2022, Tusco Rifle Club, New Philadelphia OH KD/Rifle M1A w optics/Prone
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God ! I know not what course others may choose, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death ! " Patrick Henry
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than to those attending too small a degree of it. "
Thomas Jefferson
"Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Capt. John Parker
" I have'nt a man who 's afraid to go." Capt Isaac Davis
"I would say that the majority of Americans have no real sense of the value and the uniqueness of being a U.S. citizen.  Once they realize what they have, they are less likely to stand by while some politician attempts to whittle down their rights."  Troy a.k.a. solarguy

Piper

Thank you again to all for the excellent instruction. Despite the weather, had a great time and learned a lot. Looking forward to bringing others to share the experience in the future….

Took the pic as I was trying to remember the right way to cross my legs….lol