News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

CPR & Stop the Bleed training

Started by OddsREven, March 17, 2023, 11:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OddsREven

I will be conducting American Heart Association Heartsaver CPR/AED and Stop the Bleed training at Rivanna Rifle Pistol Club on April 2nd.  Right now, we plan to start at 8:45 and end about 2:30, but that time frame may change.  The club's work detail has requested a change, and we are working on it.  I'll update when I find out.  The class is $30.00 if you want the AHA card; $10.00 if you don't want the AHA card. This is to cover the expenses of the course. In addition to the STB course, I include information/skill practice on using pressure bandages (IBD's) as well as treatment to help prevent trauma related hypothermia (it's a killer). Let me know what questions you have.  The class is limited to 20 people so contact me via this string to sign up.

Kim
OddsREven

LadyRimfire

I always wanted to take this course but it is never scheduled on a day or time I'm available.  :'(
Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

OldDominionIron

"(Were) they nourished by your indulgence? They grew by your neglect of them. As soon as you began to care about them, that care was exercised in sending persons to rule over them, in one department and another…Sent to spy out their liberty, to misrepresent their actions and to prey upon them; men whose behaviour on many occasions has caused the blood of these sons of liberty to recoil within them."
      -Isaac Barre

AF5US

This isn't in my neck of the woods, but for anyone that can make the trip I highly encourage it.  The skills are excellent.

I redid Stop the Bleed late last year, and my wife and I literally renewed our CPR certification 2 days ago.
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

OddsREven

Our class at RRPC filled in less than an hour so we are going to offer it again April 15th and April 30th.  I have OldDominionIron in the April 2nd class which is now full.  Please let me know if you want one of the other dates that are now available.  Classes filling up quickly.  It's good training.

Just 2B Difficult

This is a great idea. Any plans to offer it again this year? I recently took a shooting class for work and was astounded by the lack of knowledge and preparedness from the cadre involved with regard to firearms based injuries. I carried my IFAK on and off the line during all live fire training just in case somebody had a bad day. I would love to see this more emphasized and even implemented as a requirement for RSOs. When seconds count, the giant happy trauma bag is hiding minutes away...
Originally, I had very little suited for an Appleseed. Just to be difficult, I selected a scoped rifle with no sling at all and proceeded to shoot a Rifleman score with it. It was a very rewarding experience and I learned much about myself and my equipment.

BrotherPilot

Quote from: Just 2B Difficult on May 18, 2023, 09:02:25 AM
This is a great idea. Any plans to offer it again this year? I recently took a shooting class for work and was astounded by the lack of knowledge and preparedness from the cadre involved with regard to firearms based injuries. I carried my IFAK on and off the line during all live fire training just in case somebody had a bad day. I would love to see this more emphasized and even implemented as a requirement for RSOs. When seconds count, the giant happy trauma bag is hiding minutes away...

We will!  Probably in conjunction with the next IBC, which we typically do in January.  It really depends on OddsREven's availability.  American Heart Association Heartsaver CPR/AED and Stop the Bleed are not Appleseed programs, just to be extra clear.  OddsREven is a certified instructor for both courses and offers them to Appleseed cadre because of the value of the courses (as you pointed out, J2BD).  And, as this thread indicated, to members of the Rivanna Rifle and Pistol Club, which hosts quite a few shoots for Appleseed.

Look forward to seeing you at one soon!
Jay
VA State Coordinator
540-855-4651
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."•Samuel Adams

OddsREven

I am so pleased to see the interest and support for this training. I will be happy to offer the courses to AS cadre.  I do not charge for my time, but do ask for $ to cover expenses. We just completed the course for about 70 of the Rivanna Rifle Pistol club members in Charlottesville over 4 classes during April and May.  We will be offering it on a regular basis, probably quarterly depending on demand.  Any of our AS cadre is welcome to join these classes. You can go to the RRPC website calendar and watch for dates.  I will try to remember to post the dates on the forum as they come up.
Be aware that the training I offer AS instructors has some additional coverage for tension pneumothorax needle decompression and chest seals that are not included in the training offered at RRPC at this point.  I am looking at expanding the RRPC training to include use of chest seals, but will not include needle decompression.  Hope this is helpful.

OddsREven

malabar

This is outstanding. ALL instructors should have some training in treating traumatic injuries.

tk

Quote from: OddsREven on March 17, 2023, 11:27:04 AM
I will be conducting American Heart Association Heartsaver CPR/AED and Stop the Bleed training at Rivanna Rifle Pistol Club on April 2nd.  Right now, we plan to start at 8:45 and end about 2:30, but that time frame may change.  The club's work detail has requested a change, and we are working on it.  I'll update when I find out.  The class is $30.00 if you want the AHA card; $10.00 if you don't want the AHA card. This is to cover the expenses of the course. In addition to the STB course, I include information/skill practice on using pressure bandages (IBD's) as well as treatment to help prevent trauma related hypothermia (it's a killer). Let me know what questions you have.  The class is limited to 20 people so contact me via this string to sign up.

Kim
OddsREven
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

Just 2B Difficult

Quote from: BrotherPilot on May 18, 2023, 11:12:32 AM
We will!  Probably in conjunction with the next IBC, which we typically do in January.  It really depends on OddsREven's availability.  American Heart Association Heartsaver CPR/AED and Stop the Bleed are not Appleseed programs, just to be extra clear.  OddsREven is a certified instructor for both courses and offers them to Appleseed cadre because of the value of the courses (as you pointed out, J2BD).  And, as this thread indicated, to members of the Rivanna Rifle and Pistol Club, which hosts quite a few shoots for Appleseed.

Look forward to seeing you at one soon!
Yes sir I'm very well aware of the AHA AED and CPR training having taken it a few times. Rivanna is a great place indeed and it's very good they are hosting several events.

Quote from: OddsREven on May 19, 2023, 11:26:09 AM
I am so pleased to see the interest and support for this training. I will be happy to offer the courses to AS cadre.  I do not charge for my time, but do ask for $ to cover expenses. We just completed the course for about 70 of the Rivanna Rifle Pistol club members in Charlottesville over 4 classes during April and May.  We will be offering it on a regular basis, probably quarterly depending on demand.  Any of our AS cadre is welcome to join these classes. You can go to the RRPC website calendar and watch for dates.  I will try to remember to post the dates on the forum as they come up.
Be aware that the training I offer AS instructors has some additional coverage for tension pneumothorax needle decompression and chest seals that are not included in the training offered at RRPC at this point.  I am looking at expanding the RRPC training to include use of chest seals, but will not include needle decompression.  Hope this is OddsREven

OddsREven
That's very helpful. Coverage of needle decompression is great stuff. Now if we could just add sternal IOCs we'd really be set. ;D Are you able to compress this into a two day course somehow? I'll have a ways to go to get to the instructor level. I need to attend a second event first.  O0
Originally, I had very little suited for an Appleseed. Just to be difficult, I selected a scoped rifle with no sling at all and proceeded to shoot a Rifleman score with it. It was a very rewarding experience and I learned much about myself and my equipment.