News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

After Action Report - Father and Sons first Project Appleseed SLCFSA

Started by School of the AR, March 14, 2023, 11:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

School of the AR

Spent a wonderful time with my two youngest boys at Project Appleseed this weekend.

The event was hosted by the Southern Lancaster County Farmers Sportsmen Association. The range is about 50 minutes from our place. I liked the range so much that I'm going to try and snag a membership.

Day 1 put a whooping on me. Our scores improved dramatically thanks to the excellent instruction. I used to think teaching AR Technical Classes wore me down, but that long, cold, and windy winter day gave me pains in places I didn't know existed.

Some Ibuprofen and some rest and I was ready for Day 2 and our AQT's (Appleseed Qualification Target).

All the shooters at the event had 10/22's with exception to my boys and I. Since my Training School focuses on the AR, I wanted all of us to use an AR based .22 with the same manual of arms as our centerfire 5.56 AR's. We chose the Smith & Wesson 15-22 and I enhanced  them based on my experience with them as a Gunsmith. (Video about them linked below)

The 15-22 were the underdogs of the day. We had 3 malfunctions between us. Those malfunctions included 2 Failures to Fire, and the Sling Swivel Screw backed out in my M4 Buttstock at the end of day 2. I finished my AQT with the Loop/Cuff Sling Method, instead of the Hasty-Hasty Sling Method. All of our M4 Sling Swivels all be reinstalled with Vibrate VC-3 to prevent them from coming loose again.

The 10 other shooters had approximately 20 malfunctions combined. The 15-22's performance impressed one of the instructors so much that he asked me what I did to them to make them shoot so well.

For the most part, .22 Appleseed Rifle Events are dominated by the 10/22. Several instructors joked with me about my 15-22 and how I would have done better with the "superior" 10/22. ;). It was all in good fun.

The two top shooters of the day had 10/22's. I placed 3rd.

My wife took numerous photos and videos. We plan to make a video about our wonderful experience on my YouTube Channel. My YouTube channel is approaching 100k subscribers and I want to use my platform to promote Project Appleseed.

These were our high scores for Day 2.

Chad 225
Winterseed/Rifleman Patch
Cleared Redcoat Target/PA Militia Patch

Tristan 210
Winterseed/Rifleman Patch
Cleared Redcoat Target/PA Militia Patch
Minor Shooter Patch

Gabriel 208
Minor Shooter Patch

I'm so proud of my boys. We will be attending future Project Appleseed Events. Our Appleseed Instructors were fantastic, my boys thought the world of them, and Project Appleseed as a whole.

Thank you Project Appleseed, the selfless Appleseed Instructors who volunteered their weekend, and the Southern Lancaster County Farmers Sportsmen Association.

Now on to the bad...

I regret not having the time and financial ability to do this with my 3 oldest children when they were this age.

https://youtu.be/sh5KoPzL8gU

Chad Albrecht & Family
School of the American Rifle
*Owner/Armorer/Lead Instructor - School of the American Rifle
*01 FFL
*Former Gunsmith - Scotts Gunsmithing Service
*SOLGW - Advanced Certified Armorer
*Project Appleseed - Rifleman/Winterseed Patch
*MD Carry Permit Course & Qualification
*MD Carry Permit
*MD Designated Collector
*MD HQL Course & Qualification
*MD HQL
*MD Hunter Safety Course & Qualification
*MD Hunter Safety
*MD Police Training Commission Safety Video (Obsolete)
*D.C. Carry Permit Course & Qualification
*D.C. Carry Permit
*PA Carry Permit (York, PA)
*UT Permit to Carry Course
*UT Carry Permit
*NRA Basics of Pistol Course & Qualification
*NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course & Qualification
*CT Carry Permit
*RI Qualification
*RI Carry Permit (East Greenwich, RI)
*FL Carry Permit
*ME Carry Permit
*NH Carry Permit
*NJ Carry Permit to Carry Course & Qualification
*NJ Carry Permit (Woodstown, NJ)
*NJ FID Online Training Course
*NJ FID (Woodstown, NJ)
*Massachusetts LTC-002 Course
*MA Carry Permit
*GOA Member
*NRA Member

LadyRimfire

That's so cool! Appleseed @ it's core, spending time with family and friends learning about this great country of ours and becoming better marksman.

I'm very intriqued about you upcoming 2023 classes. I'm in east central NY, so MD wouldn't be to aweful of a drive. Do you have a course syllabus or anyplace I could go to get more info? TIA!
Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

Mrs. Smith

It's always enlightening and encouraging to read clinic reviews from people who are knowledgeable in the industry. Thank you so much for taking the time to write it, and welcome to our forum!

Is the photo of you and your boys? With your permission, sir, I'd like to share your post on our social media platforms. I'm on the Appleseed social media team.
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

EZ3

Thanks for the kind words and for persevering through some challenging weather conditions.  I forgot to ask, where did you get those tricorn hats?  When the three of you walked in wearing them it made my day!

Lee
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

School of the AR

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on March 14, 2023, 12:08:40 PM
It's always enlightening and encouraging to read clinic reviews from people who are knowledgeable in the industry. Thank you so much for taking the time to write it, and welcome to our forum!

Is the photo of you and your boys? With your permission, sir, I'd like to share your post on our social media platforms. I'm on the Appleseed social media team.

Mrs. Smith

Thank you so much for the kind words and warm welcome. The attached photo is my boys and I. You are free to use it for social media.

If you have time please send me a link to where you share the photo so I can show my boys.

I always tell attendees of my classes to be a perpetual student. From here on, be endorsing Project Appleseed every time I teach.

Chad Albrecht
*01 FFL
*MD Carry Permit
*MD Designated Collector
*MD HQL
*MD Hunter Safety
*D.C. Carry Permit
*UT Carry Permit
*CT Carry Permit
*RI Qualification
*FL Carry Permit
*ME Carry Permit
*NH Carry Permit
*NJ FID (Woodstown, NJ)
*MA Carry Permit
*GOA Member
*NRA Member

BBQ_Bandit

Much respect to Chad and his family who made my weekend enjoyable as well watching those grins grow wider as the groups grew smaller!

Huzzah!

Bob the BBQ Bandit
First Appleseed/Cleaned Redcoat 6/13-14/2020
Second Appleseed 7/3-4/2020 (208/250)
Third Appleseed 8/15-16/2020
Blue Hat, Orange Hat, and 222/250

Appleseed Pistol Clinic 
[233/250] Slippery Rock,  PA 5/22-23/2021
[227/250] Annapolis, MD 7/16-17/2022
[233/250] Thurmont, MD 5/20-21/2023

School of the AR

Quote from: LadyRimfire on March 14, 2023, 11:58:31 AM
That's so cool! Appleseed @ it's core, spending time with family and friends learning about this great country of ours and becoming better marksman.

I'm very intriqued about you upcoming 2023 classes. I'm in east central NY, so MD wouldn't be to aweful of a drive. Do you have a course syllabus or anyplace I could go to get more info? TIA!

Lady Rimfire,

Thank you very much for the kind words.

I used to have a syllabus on my website before it was redesigned.

We get a lot of students from NY because the trek isnt too bad.

I provide everything needed for the class except the AR. The student provides that. If you don't have an AR I can arrange a loaner but you get more from the class by bringing parts to build your own AR, or you bring a build AR and we tear it down and rebuild it right.

The core of my classes is to teach how all of the parts work in harmony. How to inspect, gage, replace, and modify every critical component of the firearm. Attendees of my Class are quite diverse and consist of new AR Owners, lifelong AR Owners, Competitive Shooters, Military, Police, Employees of Firearm Manufacturers, Gunsmiths, (Civilian/Police/Military) Armorer's, Gun Shop and Range Owners/Employees. Couples often attend together as do in parents and their children.

Unlike other AR Technical Classes I don't have an prerequisites. I don't focus on the cost of the AR. You dont have to spend a ton of money to have a good, reliable, and accurate AR. If you assemble it right and know how to maintain and inspect it, you'll have a gun you can depend on

Most people see the AR as adult Legos but unfortunately it's no longer the truth. Too many companies make parts for the AR and they often don't work together as intended. I try to fill that void and show how to identify those issues.

My classes are 100% technical in nature. We don't go into tactics or shooting. It's all about the firearm works and what you can do to ensure it works optimally. We discuss operation of the firearm and I share all of my knowledge and secrets acquired over 20 years as a Gunsmith and the AR.

We discuss enhancements for reliability and consistency/accuracy. It's an advanced Armorer's Course with Gunsmithing mixed in.

If you ever want to chat please shoot me a message and I'll share my # so we can talk in more detail.

If my classes are not for you that ok, but you love the AR consider taking an Armorer's Class from someone. It's a great investment. I believe having sound understanding of your firearm makes us better shooters and advocates for the Second Amendment.

Chad
*01 FFL
*MD Carry Permit
*MD Designated Collector
*MD HQL
*MD Hunter Safety
*D.C. Carry Permit
*UT Carry Permit
*CT Carry Permit
*RI Qualification
*FL Carry Permit
*ME Carry Permit
*NH Carry Permit
*NJ FID (Woodstown, NJ)
*MA Carry Permit
*GOA Member
*NRA Member

School of the AR

Quote from: EZ3 on March 14, 2023, 12:47:50 PM
Thanks for the kind words and for persevering through some challenging weather conditions.  I forgot to ask, where did you get those tricorn hats?  When the three of you walked in wearing them it made my day!

Lee

Lee,

I can't thank you and the rest of the Instructors enough. You are all wonderful people and personify Patriotism.

My boys are better young men because of you.

This fella is who I bought my hat from. They run a little large so measure carefully and perhaps consider the next size down.
https://poppinspatches.com/collections/hats/products/tactical-tricorn-hat-v2?variant=42496819101858
*01 FFL
*MD Carry Permit
*MD Designated Collector
*MD HQL
*MD Hunter Safety
*D.C. Carry Permit
*UT Carry Permit
*CT Carry Permit
*RI Qualification
*FL Carry Permit
*ME Carry Permit
*NH Carry Permit
*NJ FID (Woodstown, NJ)
*MA Carry Permit
*GOA Member
*NRA Member

School of the AR

Quote from: BBQ_Bandit on March 14, 2023, 01:08:58 PM
Much respect to Chad and his family who made my weekend enjoyable as well watching those grins grow wider as the groups grew smaller!

Huzzah!

Bob the BBQ Bandit

Bob,

I can't thank you and the rest of the Instructors enough. You are all wonderful people and personify Patriotism.

My boys are better young men because of you.
*01 FFL
*MD Carry Permit
*MD Designated Collector
*MD HQL
*MD Hunter Safety
*D.C. Carry Permit
*UT Carry Permit
*CT Carry Permit
*RI Qualification
*FL Carry Permit
*ME Carry Permit
*NH Carry Permit
*NJ FID (Woodstown, NJ)
*MA Carry Permit
*GOA Member
*NRA Member

School of the AR

*01 FFL
*MD Carry Permit
*MD Designated Collector
*MD HQL
*MD Hunter Safety
*D.C. Carry Permit
*UT Carry Permit
*CT Carry Permit
*RI Qualification
*FL Carry Permit
*ME Carry Permit
*NH Carry Permit
*NJ FID (Woodstown, NJ)
*MA Carry Permit
*GOA Member
*NRA Member

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: School of the AR on March 14, 2023, 01:05:27 PM
Quote from: Mrs. Smith on March 14, 2023, 12:08:40 PM

Mrs. Smith

Thank you so much for the kind words and warm welcome. The attached photo is my boys and I. You are free to use it for social media.

If you have time please send me a link to where you share the photo so I can show my boys.

I always tell attendees of my classes to be a perpetual student. From here on, be endorsing Project Appleseed every time I teach.

Chad Albrecht

I decided to share your post on your own page to ours, and made a separate post to our instagram page, project_appleseed. Thank you!!  If you would be so kind as to tag us in your current FB post or in future posts, that would be most excellent. My thanks to you, sir.

and dude... perpetual student... that's the perfect perspective!

In Liberty,
Traci
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

jiminbolivar

Chad,

I am glad you and your sons had a great time. I am one of your followers on Youtube that commented on your video about the 15-22's. It is awesome that you are going to do a follow-up video and I look forward to watching it! A couple weeks ago I posted a link to your 15-22 video into our rifle knowledge section. I am sure it will be helpful to others down the road.

And about those older children... I also regretted not being able to share the experience with my four older adult children. Now they are all spread out over three states and I thought I would never get the chance but I did last summer. Two of them and two of their close friends from the neighboorhood attended an Appleseed I was instructing at. We made a mini vacation out of it and had a great time. It was just like old times except we were at an Appleseed event instead of playing Call of Duty.

Jim
I don't always shoot AQT's, but when I do, I prefer iron sights.

Charles McKinley

Chad,

It is nice to have a face to go with the voice and hands!  I learned you would be at EZ3's shoot after I had sent you those messages.  I knew you would be in good hands as he was my first Shootboss almost 12 years ago.

I'm thrilled you and your boys had a great time and shot very well.

Thank you for your past and future promotion of the program.

In Liberty,

Chuck
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery