News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Time for a NC State Patch

Started by Monkey, March 01, 2023, 05:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monkey

Friends,

In discussions with Vaportrace, it's come to my attention that, unlike other state cadres, the NC team does not have a state patch.

Time to fix that.

Talented with art?  Post your suggestions here!

Untalented with art but have some ideas regarding what it should look like?  Post your suggestions here!

Have some thoughts about size or material (i.e. cloth vs vinyl)?  Post your suggestions here!

Any questions?  Post them here too!

Gameplan:
- We'll spend a few weeks kicking around ideas
- We'll whittle down the ideas to two or three of the most popular ones
- We'll vote
- We'll make it happen
- We'll distribute them to Instructors and AppleCore members (specific criteria to follow)

I personally will have no input into the design process, other than maybe the occasional comment or question.  This design will be homegrown, to reflect the NC cadre.

With that.....

READY...SET...GO!!!!
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

hawkeye

Need Help, Try one of these: https://www.siennapacific.com/patches/design.html
https://www.siennapacific.com/blog/tips/5-patch-design-templates-free-vector-files-download-34-options/
I'm thinking the state outline with a tar heel, inside the outline of a apple or a D target for starters.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

jtdiver

For your consideration
1st Appleseed, Charlotte, NC
Rifleman Severville, TN  November 2019
IBC       Canton 3-22.
IIT-1      Ellijay, GA   May 16, 2022
IIT-2      Martin, GA   May 29,  2022
Pistoleer™  Martin, GA  May 27, 2022

Vaportrace

Just an Idea for our N.C. State Patch.
JDB

Vaportrace

Another suggestion. Let me know what ya thinks:)
JDB

Thaddeus

hawkeye

I think those are Hornets but I like it too. We need a motto on the patch.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

Torin

I like the hornets also.

Of course you can't trust the internet, the date Mecklenburg declared independence is "controversial", Rhode Island is "officially" the first state to declare to independence.  That said, the date is good enough for the current NC state flag and we're a bit contrarian - so I nominate the motto as:

"First to Declare!"

Scott
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
― John Philpot Curran

Torin

Here's a link to an article on the Mecklenburg declaration. 

https://www.history.com/news/did-north-carolina-issue-the-first-declaration-of-independence

If the first declaration is too much of a stretch, perhaps "Halifax Resolves" as the motto and either the May 20, 1775 or April 12, 1776 date on the patch.

Scott
― John Philpot Curran

Mrs. Smith

When you go to production, I highly recommend www.custompatches.net.  Fair price, great work, and American made.  They made the first round of Morgan's Riflemen patches.

Huzzah!
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Vaportrace

Halifax Resolve got us the First In Freedom as seen on License Tags, but I Do Like the "First To Declare" motto!
JDB

Torin

I haven't seen one of the "First in Freedom" plates, that's a good one.

So we could go with the first NC flag (Hornet's Nest), stay true to the date (May 20, 1775), and the motto "First to Declare!"

or, same flag but change the date to April 12, 1776, and go with the motto "First in Freedom". 

Motto on the top, Date at the bottom.  Versions with and without Velcro.  Probably needs to be an odd size to get that stuff on there around the hornet's nest, maybe not the standard 2/3 ratio you usually see with these kinds of patches.

It'll take me a while, but if we can reach some sort of quorum I'll handle the proof and initial production run.   

― John Philpot Curran

Vaportrace

We Need To Get This Done. Let's make it "First To Declare". All in Favor say Aye!  All opposed will be....nevermind:) Although I'm sure Monkey is keeping up with this thread, I still need to inform him,.so the next step(s) can be taken.
Thanks for the advice Mrs. Smith.
JDB

Maggies_Drawers

Please disregard if you are no longer looking for ideas but, I think it is important we represent The Home Range as the start of Appleseed. Image of the state with a Red D Target placed within the state over Ramseur's location.  A tarheel incorporated somehow. "First To Declare" May 20, 1775 "Home of Riflemen" founding date of Appleseed or RWVA  ETC
Simon Says...Don't Miss or you'll get Maggies Drawers

jtdiver

IBC       Canton 3-22.

Monkey

"First to Declare" seems to be popular and should be incorporated.  Same with the hornet's nest symbology.  I think velcro backing, regardless, unless anybody objects.

Next questions to ask:
- Round or rectangular?
- Cloth or vinyl?

Time to start putting some possible drafts on this thread - figure out what works and doesn't work.

Good job so far.

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

Monkey

Quote from: Maggies_Drawers on March 22, 2023, 09:08:48 PM
Please disregard if you are no longer looking for ideas but, I think it is important we represent The Home Range as the start of Appleseed. Image of the state with a Red D Target placed within the state over Ramseur's location.  A tarheel incorporated somehow. "First To Declare" May 20, 1775 "Home of Riflemen" founding date of Appleseed or RWVA  ETC

Not too late.

I'm going to use this as a starting point for a separate effort (that I can't talk about yet  ;) )

― Hyman G. Rickover

Torin

Now that you mention it...... I think Oval (or round) would be a more uniform fit given the hornet's nest design and the verbiage we're looking to include, rectangular would appear disproportionate on the long side. 

I'd go cloth definitely, might be a bit more expensive but worth it.

I think the one aspect not discussed yet is a border, and based on the photos I'd suggest a sewn edge the same color as the background.

I don't have a tool to create a draft design, but have volunteered to work with the vendor on a digital proof and first production run (including front $$$ if that's the way we handle it). Just need a thumbs up to move out.

Scott
― John Philpot Curran

jtdiver

IBC       Canton 3-22.

Monkey

Since I'm working this weekend (professional babysitting...not kidding...) I'll play around with some stuff on paper, then try to translate it into something graphically.

Keep the good ideas flowing!

― Hyman G. Rickover

malabar

Just a thought: Stat patches usually have some tie in to the program.

But it's up to you guys.

tk
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003