News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Texas Beginner and/or Ladyseed events in 2023?

Started by ohhellno, February 02, 2023, 10:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohhellno

Hi Appleseeders - long-term lurker, first-time poster...

I now have the time to get trained/involved, and would like to register for either a Beginner event OR Ladyseed, preferably in TX. I have checked out the schedule page, but don't see anything yet. Does anyone have some inside scoop on an event I can get on my calendar?

Thanks in advance!

Mrs. Smith

Howdy, stranger!

Let's start with location.  You may have noticed that Texas is, well, biggish  :cool2:

Whereabouts are you?

All of our 25m traditional rifle clinics are beginner-friendly. In fact, we LOVE beginners! They don't have any established habits.  Beginners are awesome!

As for Ladyseed, never fear! All of our clinics are family-friendly. You don't find any "just a girl" nonsense at Appleseed. There is usually a Ladyseed on the schedule in San Antonio in late summer, and we're working on something for Amarillo some time this summer.

Which brings us full circle  :)

What part of Texas?

Mrs. Smith

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

ohhellno

I'm right in the center of the state, so Temple/Austin/Killeen/Waco are easy for me, but I've got the time to travel if something's outside of that distance.

AF5US

I'm happy to chime in just a bit.  I live in the DFW area and have worked with the Waco crew for years (I currently split my time between Gainesville and Waco).  I can't sing the Waco range's praises enough, they'll take good care of any participant - from absolute beginner to those with plenty of experience.  As a bonus, the Waco range has a covered overhead which helps keep inclement weather or the hot summer sun away.  Of course I have a heavy bias  ;)

The Waco (China Spring, really) hosts events on the third weekend of every month.  This month (February) is a private youth event but I'm certain you'd be very welcome any other month.

There are other excellent programs as well, depending on where exactly you're located.  For example I believe Kerville is pretty close to Austin.  You can find a list of events at:
https://appleseedinfo.org/schedule/?qstate=TX&state=Texas

You want to avoid anything listed as "Known Distance" for now, until you've been to a 25 meter event.  The Known Distance events build on skills and techniques introduced in the 25 meter events.  Anything listed as "Appleseed" will be a 25 meter event that sounds perfect for what you're looking for in rifle lessons, or anything listed as a pistol clinic will be specific to pistol.

And of course, any event you attend will have a healthy heaping hearty serving of history in the heritage that we all share as Americans.  Make sure to sign up SOMEWHERE - it will be an event you won't forget.

Quote from: ohhellno on February 02, 2023, 11:56:54 AM
I'm right in the center of the state, so Temple/Austin/Killeen/Waco are easy for me, but I've got the time to travel if something's outside of that distance.
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleerâ„¢:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

Mrs. Smith

Looks like Jason has this well in hand!

The Waco team will take good care of you, ma'am.
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24