News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Another Sold Out Appleseed IN South Carolina.

Started by DEH, August 03, 2022, 03:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEH

Our October shoot is sold out.  Plenty of room left in the November shoot.
-Appleseed: '08-IBC, '09-Red Hat, '09-FT Stewart, '10-RBC, '14, '15, '22 KD
-I.C.E '11 Combat Focus Shooting.
-Tactical Response. '09-'12
-Fighting Rifle/Pistol, Immediate Action Medical, Way of the Rifle
-MTN Guerrilla-2013/Irreg Warfare
-Max Velocity Tactical. 2013-2022. RIFLEMAN,TEAM COYOTE
 CRCDx2,Combat Patrol, Rifleman Challenge,CQB,CTT,FOFx2. DCHx2.
-2Cor10:4-5. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; Casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, & bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

57plymouth

Crap.  My nephew literally told me today to sign him up for October. 

But also;  HECK YES!!!  Full house!

57plymouth

I guess I'll sign him up for November and he can take the 2 day course next year. 

pcooper2

Great! I'm excited! I have my son and a friend coming from the Charleston area!

AA4LB

Seeing that the October event is now full, I'm looking at the November event. I attended a 2-day event a few years ago. I see the November event is a 1-day. Is there opportunity to shoot the AQT at a 1-day event?

DEH

-2Cor10:4-5. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; Casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, & bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

pcooper2

Looking at the weather, TD9 is presently in the Caribbean basin and is projected to hit around Tampa as a Cat3 on Wednesday, 28SEP22, and roll over SC (projection cone as of 23SEP22 covers the whole state, this will of course change) as a Cat1 on Thursday/Friday, 29/30SEP22.

From what I understand, the general stance is, ya'll shoot unless there is a snowstorm or an active hurricane.  Which appears like it will be the case. How far out do you guys call the ball?

57plymouth

That's not going to be much of anything by the time it gets to us.  I'll bring a towel and a change of clothes for the ride home. 

Be ready to get wet.  It was wet in Newberry in July as well.

DEH

We are of course monitoring the hurricane and IF the event is cancelled, it will be far enough in advance to contact shooters.
Bad weather does not mean we are going to cancel the shoot.  Only if it is to be considered dangerous will it be cancelled.

TAZDevil

Weather report thus far predicts rain( not even 100% chance ) for Sat and Sunday
I say no storm
bring rain proof clothes

TAZ
"An Englishman's home is his castle" Jason Russell

"Posterity, you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that ever I took half the pains to preserve it."  John Adams

57plymouth

Quote from: TAZDevil on September 25, 2022, 03:36:17 PM
Weather report thus far predicts rain( not even 100% chance ) for Sat and Sunday
I say no storm
bring rain proof clothes

TAZ

Bonus points if you shoot naked!! 

Just kidding, don't do that.

On a serious note, which range at Mid Carolina will we be using this time?

pcooper2

Quote from: DEH on September 24, 2022, 12:06:20 PM
We are of course monitoring the hurricane and IF the event is cancelled, it will be far enough in advance to contact shooters.
Bad weather does not mean we are going to cancel the shoot.  Only if it is to be considered dangerous will it be cancelled.

Yes, I understand about the weather. I don't mind it and understand it goes hand in glove with being a Rifleman. However, my work billet requires me to be available when our systems are subject to bad weather events (I work in IT, and due to folks that designed the systems before I got there, there is not sufficient UPS and no available generator capacity).

Still too far out to call the ball, I won't really know anything near solid til about Wednesday/Thursday. Plus, it's SC, so who knows what the weather may do.

pcooper2

I have to wave off. Work needs me here as I am the only person in the department responsible for our network infrastructure. Someone needs to be here to shut down/monitor/restart.

What's the process for me doing a reschedule, when the entire shoot isn't called off?

DEH

What is the Appleseed refund policy?
Project Appleseed has a no refund policy. A transfer to another event is possible. There is a 5 dollar transfer fee. If the cancellation is done within 48 hours of the event the transfer fee is 10 dollars. A cancellation/transfer can be requested by notifying us at info@appleseedinfo.org.

However if an event is cancelled the shooter has the option of a transfer or a refund. There is no charge for a tranfer if the event was cancelled.

from our website

57plymouth

57plymouth

@DEH, will we be on the Hathcock range again?

57plymouth

57plymouth

I'm going to post before FixerFighter1 so I can feel good for a moment.  That moment will pass quickly...

Yesterday after struggling with the iron sights all day and struggling to see the target due to poor vision, my two scores were a 148 and 151.  Not even close to qualification.

Today I chased that 240 Distinguished number, and I had 2 AQT's in particular where I really had trouble and did not even get all shots fired in the time limits.  My scores were 224, 232, 201 (down a lot of shots), 217 (down 2 shots, one critically on the 4th stage), 230, and 235. 

I upped my personal best from 232 to 235.  That's an improvement.  The new scope definitely made a HUGE difference.  Time management and trigger discipline hurt me badly.  I also let it "get into my head".  I need to practice more and try again.  I was not up to the challenge of scoring 240 today.

I had a great time!  I learned a lot, I got good feedback from the instructors, and had a great time shooting in the rain again!

More to come when Taz posts the AAR.

FighterFixer1

Saturday, I struggled with my irons.  My eyes just aren't good enough to see the front sight post without glasses......and with glasses, I can't see the target at all.  (Not just blurry--anything after stage 1 simply wasn't even there)  My best score with irons was 209, and it went downhill from there.

Today was a better day! (I used my scope-equipped rifle)

232, 239, 240, 241

I got my Distinguished Rifleman :-D

We had another shooter--older gent (as in, older than me) who was struggling with his iron sights--same problems that 57 and I were having.  I accomplished my goal, so I offered to let him use my rifle.  He went from averaging 140-150 to knocking out a solid 223 and earning his first Rifleman score.

Had a great time!

Chico

Quote from: FighterFixer1 on October 30, 2022, 08:15:30 PM
We had another shooter--older gent (as in, older than me) who was struggling with his iron sights--same problems that 57 and I were having.  I accomplished my goal, so I offered to let him use my rifle.  He went from averaging 140-150 to knocking out a solid 223 and earning his first Rifleman score.

My hat is off to you, sir.
That was very generous of you to offer your rifle to a struggling fellow Rifleman.
Something neither one of you will ever forget.
Oct 30/31  1st Appleseed - Gibsonburg (232)

March 5/6  1st Winterseed - WolfCreek (225)
March 5  Cleared RedCoat (Sat am & pm)
March 6  Orange Hat ( I requested Blue )
Aug 20/21 1st Pistol Clinic - Wolf Creek (220)
Aug 21  Cleared Pistol RedCoat
Sept 11  10 Event Pin (Canfield)

Oct 9  Red Hat - Marengo (Meadow)

February 4/5 Shoot Boss IBC (M.O.)
April 1/2 Pistol IBC Annapolis, Maryland
April 2 Pistol Instructor (Catch-10-22)

CMP Range Safety Officer - Rimfire
CMP Range Safety Officer - Smallbore
CMP Range Safety Officer - Air Rifle/Pistol
ISSF Range Safety Officer - Air Rifle/Pistol
Certified - SafeSport Trained
Royal Rangers Counselor - Rifle/Archery

We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again . . . Nathaniel Greene

FighterFixer1

Thanks Chico, but I was just practicing what I preach. 

Show a little kindness.

Offer assistance when you can.

Give some encouragement.

Be supportive.

The Appleseed cadre may be more 'visible' at the front of the classroom, but everyone who enjoys the shooting sports has a duty to make new shooters feel welcome. 
:F

57plymouth

Fighter, remember when you said I'm a true believer? 

You are too. 

Tennessee Beast

Congratulations on your Distinguished Rifleman scores.   :F

Thank you for helping out another student!  It's people like you that we want as volunteers. Have you considered volunteering as an Instructor in Training or AppleCore volunteer?

In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

57plymouth

Quote from: Tennessee Beast on October 31, 2022, 12:03:01 PM
Congratulations on your Distinguished Rifleman scores.   :F

Thank you for helping out another student!  It's people like you that we want as volunteers. Have you considered volunteering as an Instructor in Training or AppleCore volunteer?

YEAH!!!  See Fighter?  I'm not the only one.

Give in to the dark side.

FighterFixer1

Quote from: Tennessee Beast on October 31, 2022, 12:03:01 PM

.... Have you considered volunteering as an Instructor in Training or AppleCore volunteer?

Thank you--It's been offered and I briefly considered it. I decided that it's not something I want to do.

I enjoy the classes, and I will continue directing people who want to learn our history and some shooting skill to the program.....but I'm entirely too selfish with my free time to accept the responsibilities of becoming a volunteer.

@57Plymouth

:DH:

Burnett

You can work on it again in February in Minnesoota.

Quote from: 57plymouth on October 30, 2022, 07:22:00 PM
I'm going to post before FixerFighter1 so I can feel good for a moment.  That moment will pass quickly...

Yesterday after struggling with the iron sights all day and struggling to see the target due to poor vision, my two scores were a 148 and 151.  Not even close to qualification.

Today I chased that 240 Distinguished number, and I had 2 AQT's in particular where I really had trouble and did not even get all shots fired in the time limits.  My scores were 224, 232, 201 (down a lot of shots), 217 (down 2 shots, one critically on the 4th stage), 230, and 235. 

I upped my personal best from 232 to 235.  That's an improvement.  The new scope definitely made a HUGE difference.  Time management and trigger discipline hurt me badly.  I also let it "get into my head".  I need to practice more and try again.  I was not up to the challenge of scoring 240 today.

I had a great time!  I learned a lot, I got good feedback from the instructors, and had a great time shooting in the rain again!

More to come when Taz posts the AAR.

57plymouth

Quote from: Burnett on October 31, 2022, 06:46:09 PM
You can work on it again in February in Minnesoota.

No.  That is totally un-possible.