News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

APPLESEED IN SOUTH CAROLINA

Started by DEH, July 15, 2022, 01:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEH

The purpose of this post is to tell you what is going on, what is coming up and what you can do to help.

A bit about the history of Appleseed in SC.  The first AS was in 2007. It was a one day Mini AS at Mid Carolina GUN Club in Orangeburg, SC.  It may have not been an official event as I can not find any official data about it and it was one year before my time.  It was run by Jr Birdman, Boltgun71 and Talon.  Names written in the book "Legends of Appleseed"

The next event was December 2008.  A one day official mini seed at Mid Carolina RIFLE Club in Gaston, SC.  It was run by Son of Martha, Silence, Boltgun71, duanern, Tazdevil, Thor.  Again all names in the book. https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4516.0

The first full event was Spring 2009 at Mid Carolina Rifle Club.

As of right now most of the Appleseeds are at Mid Carolina Rifle Club.  The current administration has been very supportive of the program because the mission of the club is to promote the 2nd Amendment. 

Recently Tazdevil (the state coordinator) has re-opened the Newberry Rifle? and Pistol Club back up to Appleseed and we hope to be able to continue there.

We are on track to have a total of 5 shoots this year in SC although one was a private event for Rodeo Kids. 

The reason we have doubled since previous years is not because we have more ranges or instructors, but because we have more STUDENTS.

We have had as many as 6 events in one year, but attendance was always low.  During the "slump" years it got to be where there would be 3-4 students sometimes that signed up so we condensed the shoots.

As of right now the current administration at Mid Carolina Rifle will possibly be stepping down at the end of the year and I do not know if the new administration will be as friendly to AS.  The club is Also having financial issues right now. Membership is down and property taxes have escalated.  If you live in the area, consider joining.  It is a great place to shoot.  I no longer live in the area, but I keep paying my dues so I can continue to host the shoots.  MCRC requires a club member to be there at all times during the shoots.

Next shoot is 01-02OCT and a one day, rimfire event on 12NOV at MCRC

WHAT SOUTH CAROLINA NEEDS:

1.  We need more students.  The increased number of shoots this year is a direct result of sold out events last year and earlier this year.  At MCRC they are hesitant to shut down an entire range for only a few shooters, BUT when 20 shooters show up the club administration is jumping up and down about it.  Remember I said the primary goal of MCRC was to support the 2nd Amendment.

Many years of observation has found that word of mouth either in person or social media is more effective than any advertising done about AS.  You don't have to become an instructor in the program, but if you want the program to continue tell everyone and most importantly BRING someone.

2. We need more ranges/sites to have Appleseeds.  When I say this I don't mean that we need the names or location of a range.  What I mean is we need someone that is affiliated with that range to actively work within that organization to bring us there.  We don't mind coming out and talking to club officers/members or landowners but us cold calling a range is not effective.

Also, unless you have a venue in mind with 400 yard capability the Midlands of SC (middle of the state) already has two active ranges.  Newberry and Gaston.  Greenville/Spartanbug is just a short distance from the range in Martin, GA and there are shoots in Charlotte, NC.
Strictly from a geography perspective the Charleston area would be a great place and previously untrod ground in AS.  Beaufort area would be great too as it could potentially capture the Savannah area as well.

3. We need volunteers.  We have enough instructors to cover our current load of events, but if we expand further we will be stretched thin.  All of the instructors in SC are Sons of Martha (read the poem) and we have jobs that if we don't show up for work people die, terrorists invade, the power goes out, and nuclear meltdowns happen. You don't have to be an instructor to volunteer.  Look into the Applecore program.  If you want to take an orange hat you don't have to wait until a shoot to let us know.  Let us know now and we can help you get through the process most efficiently.

4.  There is more to the program than just our 25 meter clinics.  We have LadySeeds, Appleseed Pistol Clinics and known distance clinics (out to 400-500 yards).  To make these things happen in SC re-read 1-3.

-Appleseed: '08-IBC, '09-Red Hat, '09-FT Stewart, '10-RBC, '14, '15, '22 KD
-I.C.E '11 Combat Focus Shooting.
-Tactical Response. '09-'12
-Fighting Rifle/Pistol, Immediate Action Medical, Way of the Rifle
-MTN Guerrilla-2013/Irreg Warfare
-Max Velocity Tactical. 2013-2022. RIFLEMAN,TEAM COYOTE
 CRCDx2,Combat Patrol, Rifleman Challenge,CQB,CTT,FOFx2. DCHx2.
-2Cor10:4-5. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; Casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, & bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

57plymouth

May I cross-link this thread to the South Carolina page and/or Training page on AR15.com

I have had an absolutely great time at the 2 Appleseeds I've gone to.  I'm stoked about the third one this October.  I've already make my interest in the Pistol clinic and the KD clinic known.  If you schedule it, I will attend. 

I'm willing to be strong(ish) of back and weak of mind when I'm at the event.  I'm down to help out.

406mmMk7

DEH, sent you an e mail through this site.

DEH

Thanks for contacting me.  Sent you one back.
-Appleseed: '08-IBC, '09-Red Hat, '09-FT Stewart, '10-RBC, '14, '15, '22 KD
-I.C.E '11 Combat Focus Shooting.
-Tactical Response. '09-'12
-Fighting Rifle/Pistol, Immediate Action Medical, Way of the Rifle
-MTN Guerrilla-2013/Irreg Warfare
-Max Velocity Tactical. 2013-2022. RIFLEMAN,TEAM COYOTE
 CRCDx2,Combat Patrol, Rifleman Challenge,CQB,CTT,FOFx2. DCHx2.
-2Cor10:4-5. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; Casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, & bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.