News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Corpus Christi Event Information - Starry Shooting Range Pics

Started by POP, March 19, 2009, 06:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POP

Corpus Christi Event Information

For all you avid Riflemen and Riflemen Wannabees I am posting some Pics and other information about Starry Shooting Range.

We'll meet at the clubhouse at 0800 Saturday morning for safety briefing and First Strike. 

BDG and I are looking forward to this event on April 18-19.  We want a good show for Corpus Christi and South Texas, we want a good turnout of both shooters and instructors to make metalbot's job as SB run smoothly, and we want to a great show for the Appleseed Project and its ongoing effort at bailing.  Our country needs now more than ever.

Thanks to scuzzy and the Texas EPT boys and to funfaler for the efforts at promoting Appleseed here in Texas.  It really feels good now when I talk to folks who have already heard about Appleseed and I do not have to Sell anything to them.  They are already sold.   O0

See you on the trail in Corpus Christi.

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

metalbot

Are they providing backers for targets, or should I start worrying about plywood and wire?
Davilla 1108

POP

mbot,
DON'T WORRY, BE HAPPY!   **)  ALLEST IST UNTER KONTROL!  JA?
DID THEY NOT TELL YA ABOUT CORPUS CHRISTI HOSPITALITY? 
SIT BACK AND TAKE A RESPIRATORY PAUSE.   &) **)
WE GOTCHA KOVERED, JA?   8)

I have the backers and wire etc. covered.
Also, I will have my trailer down in the bay for you to use as a podium, and for shooters to use for gear if needed.

My goal is for you to show up, do your SB magic, and not have to sweat the small stuff ... like target backers.

Thanks for the question.

Also, I have the range reserved for Friday prior to the shoot for setup.  So, if you think of anything you need, just let me know.  Its yours, its done.   O0

If any of the instructors want to come on to Corpus earlier in the day on Friday, we can set up as a team.  It will go a little faster and maybe we can get in a little shooting.   :~

Send a PM or add to the string here and let me know who is coming in early.  @@)  Let's make mbot's 1st April 19 event as SB go smoothly.   ;)

POP 
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

BDG

I imagine that if I leave McAllen after cashing a check and straightaway hit the road, I will be at Starry at 8:30 friday night. Will help ya with whatever you need at that point POP. Since this will be the first, we'll just have to make sure we have everything worked out as to what all we need or think we will need.

metalbot, let us know if you have any particular requirements for supplies that we do not yet have, as we have not yet SET UP a range for an AS other than assisting Scout in Davilla.

I'll have the usual stuff that I bring.

If we need any supplies we don't have on hand, a Lowe's is only 5 miles away. Just to show you how close, see http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=starry+gun+range&daddr=1530+Airline+Rd,+Corpus+Christi,+TX+78412+(Lowe%27s)&hl=en&geocode=FUu_pQEdB3Uy-iFcj67mYutD-w%3BCUnYTgqNjgspFSy3pgEdilwy-iER4WEmfKyD2Q&mra=pe&mrcr=0&sll=27.713084,-97.510309&sspn=0.900868,1.235962&ie=UTF8&ll=27.671367,-97.35157&spn=0.112652,0.154495&z=13
Davilla Eleven-Oh-Eight!!

sardoodledom

gooch

Not to scare anybody off or anything but ....
I just wanted to jump in and say that I will be down early POP so look out er  I'll be ready to help out and I have a pick'em up truck for carrying plywood backer boards in and rolls of wire as well.
I also have some flags to fly as well. [Gadsden, Culpepper, Gonzales and Of Course Old Glory.]
Let me know if we are not going to fly flags and I will leave them home.
Are we going to be able to camp on-site or is there a campsite close by ?

Gimme a call on the cell number IF you want.

Looking forward to seeing all you folks again.

Stay Safe,

gooch

PS I will be bringing some extra ammo [.22 LR] for any that might have need and some frn's in case someone was to bring a Marlin 597 795 they wanted to trade with ?
Just sayin' ....

edit to correct the Marlin model number.  597 .... 795    I got all three numbers up there din't I ?
"All it takes for tyranny to prosper is for good men to do nothing."  Gooches Version

"To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill.
To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill."
SUN-TZU

BDG

hey Gooch! good to see you will be there for the first Corpus event. We haven't seen ya since the November boot camp. Definitely bring whatever you want to bring. We will try to use it all! See ya soon.

gooch

Quote from: BDG on April 02, 2009, 12:20:29 PM
hey Gooch! good to see you will be there for the first Corpus event. We haven't seen ya since the November boot camp. Definitely bring whatever you want to bring. We will try to use it all! See ya soon.

Definitely bring whatever you want to bring.

I just remembered that I have two used full sheets of plywood.  [1/2 inch I think ....]
Do you want those ResPop ?
And I will bring the flags.
I like flags.  It removes all uncertainty of who we are for any spectators, etc.
I really need to get a 1776 Old Glory.  [with 13 stars in a circle]

I'll be sure to bring the two bricks of ammo as well.
I wish I had a loaner LTR BUT I am lucky to be able to afford the ammo at present ....

metalbot, BDG and Res POP ....

If you think of anything else .... [keeping in mind my financial position or lack thereof]
Just let me know before hand.

I am only 65 -70 miles NW anyway.  IF push came to shove I Could run home after the range closes for the evening and be back in the AM.

See Ya There.

"All it takes for tyranny to prosper is for good men to do nothing."  Gooches Version

SUN-TZU

POP

I spoke with Gooch.  But, just so all will know ...
On site camping, water,
if you need to clean rifles at night we can run up to the clubhouse.
restrooms are at the clubhouse about as far away from the camping as the porta johns are at Davilla.

Still working on showers.  but, don't worry.
You know me "Don't worry  ;), be happy  ;D, shoot often  :~."

Gooch and I will get together Friday 4/17 and set it all up.  We'll have signs out on Yorktown blvd to indicate folks are getting close to the AS event, and to show where to turn.

More later,
POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
Waterman 300 9/11/10

gooch

POP,

I can also bring a T-post driver for planting the t-posts to string the wire.  Want it ?
I also have two full sheets of 1/2 inch [I think] plywood.  Want them too ?

Just gimme a call [on the cell] and we can set up the list of "don't forgets".
We have what 11 or 12 scheduled so that would mean 6 - 8 back boards ?
Just let me know.

Stay Safe,

gooch

SUN-TZU

Toucan

Hello all!

We just signed up to go to the Corpus Christi Appleseed get-together.  This will be our first time coming, so please forgive any stupid questions I might ask.

Regarding camping on-site, we plan on tent camping and was wondering what kind of cooking facilities will be available.  Will there be fire pits for cooking?  If so, do we need to bring our own firewood, or is there deadwood for gathering?  Would it be better to bring a propane cook stove?  Any suggestions you could offer would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Jackie Nolin

POP

toucan:

Tent camping is OK.  Fire Rings will be there.  Fire Wood will be there N/C.  Propane is OK also.  Actually, from past experience may I suggest:   @@)  The weekend is quite busy.  We have a lot of fun but, we do not play.  every minute is full. Therefore, anything you can do to speed things up for your personal business (cooking meals, brushing teeth, etc.) will help you get more out of your weekend and, it will help others because they are not waiting on you.  ;) 

Bring plenty of H2O for drinking.  Potable water is available, however.  restrooms are there.  i'm still working on a crude shower as i promised BDG.  i hope i don't have to renege on that. 

I will be posting more on amenities this weekend as i have a meeting with Billy Starry Thursday afternoon to go over the site once more.

Thanks for asking.  look forward to seeing you there and to an enjoyable learning experience, and, to visiting some on Saturday night.  <:)

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
Waterman 300 9/11/10

BDG

Quote from: Respiratory POP on April 07, 2009, 11:44:05 AM
Bring plenty of H2O for drinking.  Potable water is available, however.  restrooms are there.  i'm still working on a crude shower as i promised BDG.  i hope i don't have to renege on that.

Oh POP, a shower isn't mandatory. I've since gotten accustomed to no shower while in Davilla all weekend. I think I can manage no shower in Corpus as well. Besides, it's only 3 hours away from me. If I really want a shower that badly, I can just drive home to take it.

This ain't a RBC and Goock won't be stoking the fire for us!  ;D
We'll manage.  O0

gooch

Quote from: BDG on April 09, 2009, 01:50:18 PM
Quote from: Respiratory POP on April 07, 2009, 11:44:05 AM

Oh POP, a shower isn't mandatory. I've since gotten accustomed to no shower while in Davilla all weekend. I think I can manage no shower in Corpus as well. Besides, it's only 3 hours away from me. If I really want a shower that badly, I can just drive home to take it.

This ain't a RBC and Goock Gooch won't be stoking the fire for us!  ;D
We'll manage.  O0

Fixed that for ya BDG.

Oh I'll be there alright but they don't have a shower setup like the "altar to hot water" that Scout invented at Davilla. {ELEVEN OH EIGHT}   ;)

Paul ....

I have two of those plastic solar shower dohickey's want them ?  [One would be for ... ahem .... Me of course .....]

See ya soon guys so ....

Stay Safe,

gooch

SUN-TZU

POP

Bring'em on Gooch.  BDG can't go the whole weekend w/o a shower.  ^-^

Say, I was out at Starry's this afternoon to look it over with the owner one last time.

We've changed the camping location to up by the clubhouse.  That's good because the restrooms are right there.  Also good because we can clean rifles under a roof Saturday night. And, the group won't be so spread out.

Starry has wood if you want to have a campfire (small one, and you need to be really careful because it has been so dry.)  And he has a picnic table and small bbq pit.  Thinking about the campfire angle, we will likely be under a burn ban.  Corpus has had just over 1/2 inch of rain this year ... maybe as much as .63"  Starry has not had to mow ... all now is dirt and dead grass carcasses.  Should be a really fun weekend if it rains.

If any instructors would like to come to Corpus Christi for this event we could sure use the help.  So, think about it.   &)  There now, I knew you would see it my way.   ;)

That's all for now.

See you on the trail here in Corpus,

POP

3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
Waterman 300 9/11/10

BDG

During the March AS, darn near every county I drove through had a burn ban in effect. If Corpus is in the same straights, then I guess we'd better bucket some water in from the Bay, eh? Hah!

Toucan

Thank you for the information regarding on-site camping.  We were planning on getting to Corpus Christi on Friday afternoon to avoid having the long drive early Sat. morning to get there.  Can we show up on Friday evening, or should we plan on finding another place to camp Friday night?  Also, it sounds like a camp stove might be better due to the burn ban.

Thanks.

POP

Quote from: BDG on April 10, 2009, 01:29:23 PM
then I guess we'd better bucket some water in from the Bay, eh? Hah!
Naw, BDG, we'll just haul you down to the bay! **)

Quote from: Toucan on April 12, 2009, 03:31:09 PM
Can we show up on Friday evening, or should we plan on finding another place to camp Friday night?  Also, it sounds like a camp stove might be better due to the burn ban. 

Toucan, Come on in Friday evening or afternoon.  Gooch and i will be there from about noon on setting up.  There is plenty of camping up near the clubhouse.  And, there will be signs on Yorktown Dr. to indicate where to turn on Starry Circle. 

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
Waterman 300 9/11/10

gooch

Quote from: BDG on April 10, 2009, 01:29:23 PM
During the March AS, darn near every county I drove through had a burn ban in effect. If Corpus is in the same straights, then I guess we'd better bucket some water in from the Bay, eh? Hah!

On this subject ....

Say Paul .... I do have a couple of big metal buckets that I can bring which we can fill with water and stand Near the firepit [I have a portable firepit also] as low tech fire extinguishers.
It may not matter IF the Starry Range cannot get an "exception" from the burn ban.
IF they can get an exception then I will bring my portable firepit, a shallow metal dish the size of a 55gallon drum, and the metal water buckets. [since BDG is going to be down by the water anyway ....  ::)  ]

Gimme a shout ...

SUN-TZU

POP

Starry has fire pits/rings and wood.

but, if we don't get substantial rain between now and this weekend there won't be any fires except in the BBQ pit at the clubhouse.

We'll still have fun cleaning rifles and talking and such.  no need to bring water buckets.  we have a water hose at the club house for the BBQ.

thanks for asking
POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
Waterman 300 9/11/10

gooch

Quote from: Respiratory POP on April 13, 2009, 02:21:58 PM
Starry has fire pits/rings and wood.

but, if we don't get substantial rain between now and this weekend there won't be any fires except in the BBQ pit at the clubhouse.

We'll still have fun cleaning rifles and talking and such.  no need to bring water buckets.  we have a water hose at the club house for the BBQ.

thanks for asking
POP

O0

SUN-TZU