News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Headed to Sacramento - Any Last minute advice?

Started by Calisnaps, March 23, 2022, 12:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calisnaps

Hey all,  I am heading to the Sacramento Appleseed this coming weekend for my first event.

Any last minute advice or gear not on the typical list?

I have the what to bring list mostly checked off and the rest will be done before Friday.

Firearms are cleaned, lubed and function tested.  Already have them sighted into 25m.

Ramblin' Wreck

Tips? Yep. Get a head start and dry fire as much as possible between now and then.
Hope you enjoy your shoot.
Ramblin' Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Pine Ridge Puma

Howdy!  I would be willing to bet that you are already a good shot, judging from your brief comments about your preparations, including that you have already zeroed your rifle.  If that is the case, I want you to be assured that you WILL learn some new things about marksmanship as I don't think there has ever been anyone to attend a seed that has not.  However, our goal as a group of volunteers as instructors is to not  only teach good marksmanship, but to also reinforce pride in our country and remind everyone to appreciate what our forefathers sacrificed for our freedoms.  We want people who attend these events to learn new skills with firearms, have fun, meet some new friends, and most of all, be dang glad we are all AMERICANS and give thanks for our great country and do our part to keep it free for future generations.  I am sure you will never forget your experience learning of the early part of the Revolutionary War discussed at your event, in addition to the fun with fellow shooters in attendance.  Have a great Appleseed!
When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them,  and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.

The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.

eaglescouter

I will be at the Sacramento event this weekend and look forward to meeting you.

You should have received an email from NorCal22Gal already, that email deals with all the common items.

Frequently missed items:

Food.  There is none onsite and none nearby.  Your body and brain will be working hard, be prepared with the right fuel so you can keep going.
Shelter:  This is an open bay, no overhead cover.  If you have an easyup type canopy that might be a good thing to bring.  Along with landscape spikes (giant 8-10 inch nails) to tie it down.
Teachable attitude.  This one speaks for itself.

The reality is that if you bring a functional rifle with magazines and ammo, eye and ear protection, and a teachable attitude you will be headed down the right path.  A USGI web sling or 1907 sling mounted to the rifle will be a tremendous asset.  Alternate slings may also be useable.  A carpet remnant or shooting mat will protect your clothing.  After the above any other things are niceties.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Calisnaps

I did get the email and I had already pulled the lists from the website.  Bringing an M&P 15-22 (Already checked with the bolt gauge from S&W) and a new Ruger 10/22 I've only had 3 weeks and don't have more than 4-500 rounds through.  Both have slings, and the Ruger has TechSights.  Filled out the extra waiver for the 15-22 but plan on using the Ruger.

The only two things I didn't have on the list were a decent Boonie hat and a Canopy, if Jeff Bezos is worth his salt I'll have both by Friday!

Aliquippa

Hi Cali,

Two things - practice smooth mag changes- look at them if needs be and practice so you know and don't fumble which is a time killer. Secondly, don't let perfect be the enemy of the good.  Those were(are) my bugaboos.

Calisnaps

Thank you for all the advice, I had a blast and have already booked for the end of April! Hopefully, by then the bruises and aches have gone away LOL.