News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Boulder City, Nevada March 14 & 15, 2009

Started by magillagorilla, March 17, 2009, 02:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magillagorilla

Saturday started with a beautiful sunrise on my way to the range to meet AzGromet, Paul from Amarillo (sorry i don't remember your screenname), Laylopro, and Phoneprone. I was giddy with the anticipation of seeing 47 individuals on the firing line. When I arrived I started helping Paul set up the target backers. We were in the middle of setting up the third bay when we were told by the range master we were only allowed two bays. OK, moving forward.

Shooters started showing up and signing in. They came by the droves. They started bringing their gear to the equipment line and picking the spots they would make history in.

With introductions, safety instructions given, and the event officially started, rounds went downrange. The sound of popcorn with the occasional cannon blast attributed to the AR's and classic long guns.

Once again the appleseed instructors brought their A game and shooters started seeing the true value of having gotten up early to traverse to the range for this thing some of them had only heard about from a friend.

During lunch everyone was moved by Gromet and the First Strike. I think I saw some moisture in the arrid desert climate (otherwise known as tears). Paul delivered the Second Strike and "Shooters, to the line!"

By the end of the day noone had scored Rifleman yet. :( We finished out the day with the third strike and the benediction.

The next morning presented with a new scope for my 10/22 and a 211 on the AQT O0 for me!! Pat, thank you for your help and time. While everyone was gathered for morning instructions and inspiration, I was presented with the coveted Riflemans patch from AzGromet, a separate patch from Laylopro, and I think Pat, IIT, gave up his orange hat. I need a moment........OK. Shooters, to the line!

Another day packed with great instruction from the red hats and shoot boss. At lunch time we heard about the old men and the fighting women.

The end of the day brought another 211 on the AQT by Dave. He also donned an orange hat past on by Phoneprone. Oh, by the way, I think I may have a name for you, that is if you don't already have one.

All in all we had a wonderful Appleseed and I am looking forward to the next one. I hope to see many of the same faces at future appleseeds with new faces next to them. See you in May!! 

Greg in MO

Congrats Magilla!  I knew you had it in ya...  Kudos on taking the hat.  Now you have to start studying!

Greg

Fred

PS: Magilla, the hat is FREE!

^-^
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

LayloPro

Heh! I thought the hat was "On loan", ready for the next new IIT that will help pass on the tradition.....gotta get this "gorilla" to red ASAP! ^-^ ;)

This was an fun & educational shoot for PhoneProne & I......we had a few moments of listening to PRK, & "Peoples Republik", until AZGromit began talking about what we had been doing in the far West.....then they were ready to listen a bit more.... &) **) @@)

Mag, I have to say, again, you give new meaning to the "Cease Fire" command on the line..... **) **) **) Just so you know, it's kinda hard to call commands well when you're laughing hysterically!! %) **)

There were a true variety of shooters @ this event, from folks who have been to an AS before, to folks who were trying out brand spanking new "shoootin' irons"......and several gals too, which made Phone's job a bit easier.....she was able to do quick "side clinics" with the women, to help them out on issues we guys are completely dumb about..... %)
And surprise, surprise, they all started shooting better!! Amazing, eh? 8)

The folks shooting all seemed to have a good time, even though the firing lines were rather crowded....they preservered......and several had far better than expected improvement in their groups, and in their speed of operation.....wonderful!

We also had a guest who works in radio as one of their "on the air" personalities out in the greater LV area. She was a lot of fun to work with, and is really going to be able to put forth some good word of mouth for other folks who should get to AS......really nice gal too, and......she started getting some really good groups on her target as well........imagine!! <:) ;)

Magilla was the picture of preserverence thru out the weekend.......he did not preform to his personal standard on Saturday, and left with a self flagrating mood on himself....Sunday AM, he was there -early-, and put his numbers down for posterity.......can I tell you the guy -reeeaaallllllllyy- wanted his hat??!!??
This cat is gonna be an awesome asset for SoNeva to form around, and start moving the state back to where it should be.......watch this guy, he's gonna go places.......

Working with AZ & Ashrn03, as well as the new IIT's was a blast.....it's always good when you get a new perspective on how to present, and some of the varieties of "how" you can set the format.....Without cheerleading too hard here, I can assure you that some things from AZ & TX will be incorporated into our shoots in Cali......perhaps they even found some things from us they might want to take back to theirs.... 8)

And yes, being able to do the entire redcoat with one mag, instead of requiring two, is an improvement, regardless of what any politician says......

More feedback later, my desktop was being fixed while I was out, so now I get to hook it all back up, & start getting some pix up......

Soon!
LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

davef

As a first timer, I just wanted to say thanks to all the hard work and time put into the shoot by the instructors and other volunteers. Its hard enough getting up early (especially in Las Vegas  ;) )to come out to the range all day as a shooter, but you guys don't even get to shoot. Your dedication is appreciated. Thank you.

It was a great time and I learned a lot. Yeah it was a little crowded on the line and it would be nice to have access to the longer ranges (they go out to 1000yds and are rarely used) but the weather was just about perfect and the training was awesome.

I didn't get my patch this time but I know what to work on so I'm fairly confident I will next time. And I'll be bringing as many friends as I can along with me.

Thanks again,

DaveF   (aka Fingers)

Molon-Labe

Quote from: Laylopro on March 17, 2009, 01:16:47 PM
We also had a guest who works in radio as one of their "on the air" personalities out in the greater LV area. She was a lot of fun to work with, and is really going to be able to put forth some good word of mouth for other folks who should get to AS......really nice gal too, and......she started getting some really good groups on her target as well........imagine!! <:) ;)

Awww you're sweet.  :) You, phoneprone, Pat, Dan, Paul, Gromet, Cole....everyone working our line was so encouraging and helpful it was almost impossible NOT to improve. You probably didn't hear it, but I gave a 10-15 minute PSA on the AP Sunday night, encouraging everyone to check it out. I may not be available timewise to make all the shoots and volunteer as an IIT, but I do have a platform not available to most that I can stand on as my personal 7th step, and have done so even prior to being acquainted with AP.  ;)

That being said, I hope to see you again in Sept or Nov!  <:)

M-L
Well-behaved women rarely make history.

magillagorilla

Molon-Labe

socalserf

Howdy to all my friends in Nevada!!!
Boulder City has a great range and the folks who come out are first rate.
Congrates to Magillagorilla, thanks for taking on the Orange Hat!
"we cannot improve what we do not measure."

Molon-Labe

Hey guys, I've got that mp3 file from last week; I just need to know where to send it.  :)