News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Boulder City, NV, March 14-15

Started by MOGromit, March 17, 2009, 12:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOGromit

Just a quick start to the AAR thread for this past weekend in Boulder City.

Things of note:

1) Weather GREAT as always, clear skies.

2) Wind was only occasionally present and I think I only brought home 5 lbs. of Nevada dirt this time around, compared to the standard 15-20 pounds.

3) TWO NEW RIFLEMEN & IITS!!!!
    Welcome to Magilla Gorilla and Dan P. (not certain of his online name).

Both of them have been to at least 2 AS and both shot a Rifleman score on Sunday of 211.

Good it wasn't 210 as the water was in a bit of short supply.

4) Great turnout of over 40 shooters on Saturday and roughly 35 on Sunday.  Still need to collate the sign-up sheets.

5) Great instructor pool, many thanks to Laylopro, Phoneprone, Paul (ashrn03), Pat and the two newest!

6) Another data point in my continuing Appleseed experience of meeting the best folks at the events.

Southern NV is growing with 3 IITs now and another collection of great folks exposed into and promoting the 7th step.

More as time allows.

AZGromit

funfaler

Congrats to the New Riflemen and IITs!

Nevada is really taking off, good to see the "trees" growing in that climate too.   O0

Good work all.

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

LayloPro

True story!!
There were some of the nicest folks I've met in a long time there! <:)
PhoneProne & I had a blast working with the folks as "Cali OutCall" help, & had a lot of fun working with folks who were willing to listen to things that could get bad in "their" state as well, if they let it......
Amazing what a bit of first hand experience can show folks who will listen..... @@)

Can't tell you how refreshing it is to do the -whole- Redcoat target, & not "need" two mags to do it with.......... !@#) @@) :~

The ranges were a bit crowded, and that is something that will probably be addressed by several members who were shooting with us to the range management......I'm becoming convinced that anything less than 3.5' per shooter is just asking for trouble, or grumbles....but we had "happy shooters", and they preservered just dandy!! <:) ^-^ <:)

Working with the other instructors was a great eye opener for us as we saw how things were done from "different states".....Being able to adapt things to certain circumstances is a very good thing.......

I will post more info here as I get it together (as usual, got pix!)....right now, I'm fading.....
more in a bit!
LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

davef

AZGromit, LLP, Paul, et al. Thank you for all your hard work and dedication to make it an enjoyable and more importantly, instructional weekend.

I think every shooter, no matter what their previous level of experience, came out a much better rifleman. And even though there weren't a lot of rifleman patches awarded, we are all better off having invested the weekend with you and now know what we need to work on to get our patch next time.

And I'll be bringing some friends. There's no reason we can't have 100 shooters minimum every weekend in the Las Vegas area.

DaveF 

funfaler

QuoteThere's no reason we can't have 100 shooters minimum every weekend in the Las Vegas area.

Hey Dave,

I doubt you will get many arguments about this here on this forum. 

Let me suggest that you network and work with magilliagorilla here on the forum to make this happen!

There are still 2 more shoots at Boulder City and rumor of another in the Vegas area, so we need to get the word out.

BTW, did anyone hear the Public Service Announcement on 840 AM in the Vegas area?    If so, let us know about it.

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

davef

Will do.

I'm already rounding up as many folks as I can for the next Boulder City shoot and I'm passing the word on to a bunch of shooters in CA as well.I've also posted recommendations on a couple other shooting related forums.

I've got Magilla's email address as he already contacted all of us LV locals this morning and will get with him to help out where ever I can.

They are building a brand new, Clark County, I believe, regional shooting facility which is probably where the other shoots will be held. It should be an awesome facility if AS can get access to it. I don't see why they wouldn't.

I did not hear the radio announcement but I haven't been listening to the radio too much the last few days. 840 is the am station I listen to though so you picked the right one. ;)

LayloPro

Hey all,

sorry this is so late, my desktop took a bit longer to fix than the IT guy thought......what's new there, eh?
Anyway, here are some "photographic proofs" that we did indeed have an AS here @ Boulder Rifle club, & that it was a blast...even with the "nibblies".....
Couple of posts worth, as we know, a pix is worth a thousand words, & my voice box hurts right now.....
Had a great time there, look forward to going back again soon......

Laylopro

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

LayloPro

Yep! Even more pix..... ;)

I was pretty bummed when it was over, because there were so many awesome folks there, I really hated the fact we were done......time to pack it up & go home.....
:'(

Perhaps we can talk Fred into giving us the green light to go back again.....you know, to help 'em get some internal red hats or something.... O0

LLP

Xeyed

Don't be so fast to leave the "friendly confines" of the Boulder City Rifle and Pistol Club. They have been good hosts and the facility is very Appleseed friendly. I've been excited too about the new Clark County Shooting Park. But the realization is sinking it that it will be a government run facility which means that some of the operating rules may be "Governmental".

Was reading a good thread on Ar15HTF tonight that had some details http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=22&t=352635

I was surprised to learn that not all the areas of the park will be open to the public. I was envisioning a smorgasbord of second amendment activities, but it looks like it will be a fast food joint. Although a 200 yard rifle range will open to the public, that's just a warm up to a rifleman. We might not even be able to get into  prone position for some serious shooting as it might be a "bench rest" only facility.  One of the volunteers on the thread mentioned that "human shape targets" might not be allowed. So much for Redcoats or AQT's. We might have to break out them "Liberty Bell Targets". I've heard of some dumb rules on some ranges, like no prone position, rates of fire of no more that three shots a minute, human targets need to be hung upside down, no head shots etc all of which make me apprehensive about what the rules at the new range will be.

I hope that I am wrong, has anyone form the "EPT" contacted them?

But this is just an Iceberg, we really need to figure out how to schedule some time on the known distance range at Boulder City for the next Appleseed.

And more importantly getting more shooters to the line.

One Man awake, Awakens another. The second awakens  His next-door brother.
The three awake can rouse a town. By turning the whole place upside down.

The many awake can make such a fuss. It finally awakens the rest of us.
One man up, with dawn in his eyes, Surely then, Multiplies. Lawrence Trib

Fred

Quote from: Xeyed on March 24, 2009, 01:58:06 AM

And more importantly getting more shooters to the line.

Anyone who cares about making that last statement happen will be EPT-ing like he's on a sinking ship...

(Good post, Xeyed!)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...