News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Racine 3/14-15 AAR

Started by EEL, March 16, 2009, 09:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EEL

Illinois made a daring weekend raid into Wisconsin to hold the inaugural Appleseed at the Racine County Line Range (RCLR).  Weather was cool, wind was moderate, but at least the sun was shining.  RCLR was very accomodating to our requests.  Their facilities are superb.  The 25 yard range had a concrete pad at the firing line and packed sand all the way to the target line, although I think I did get a teeny tiny smudge of mud on one shoe.  Similiar to the conditions the Wisconsin folks experienced down at Knob Creek  >:D   >:D   >:D  (see their AAR).  Backers and supports were more than adequate.  20 shooters registered on Saturday morning and we were off and running.  Somehow, Joe Z wrangled 2 boys and 3 girls to come out and shoot with us on Saturday.  Nice to see the future embracing our Heritage.

After the initial briefing, Red Coats were posted and summarily dispatched.  Only 1 lefty, 1 .30 cal and NO tuuubers!!  **) on the line.  Our shooters did lots of hard work on all the positions and persisted through the pain and discomfort to get into position.  Advil stock should have gone up on Sat night.  Made 4 new Riflemen on Saturday.  Congratulations to Lee (shooting a bolt action .22) , Matt with his 10/22, Robb shooting an AR and 1 other shooter.  (Have to get his name from TC)......Jack is our other new Rifleman. By EEL 3/17/09

Sunday, another .30 cal showed up and we got started with an QD-AQT first thing.  Later, had a little friendly competition by shooting a red QD-AQT as a 2 man team.  RCLR worked with us and we had enough instructors to split our group and take some over to the 600 yard range.  Made believers out of more than a few that the 25 yard 1" square REALLY does cross over to distance shooting.  Follow the 6 steps of firing the shot, confirm NPOA,  and the distance is just a matter of come-ups.  Another Riflemen was made on Sunday.  Aftermath, along with the above, have joined the ranks of "men who know very much what they are about".

Thanks to all our shooters for comming with a teachable attitude, being safe, following directions, and persisting.  Hope to see all of you at another Appleseed again.  To you that made Riflemen, "Your lifetime journey period begins NOW"

Thanks to the Racine County Line Range for the outstanding facility and supplying 2 Safety Officers.

On behalf of your Instructors, it was an honor to be allowed to be there this weekend.

EEL

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

COLORADO

Had an awesome time last weekend at the Racine County Line Range. This was my first Appleseed so I wasn't 100% sure what to expect. With an open mind I loaded up the car and headed South. After a few wrong turns I found the range. For first timers be sure to get some directions from a local. Once on the range it was smooth sailing. The facility itself is quite large.

I would like to thank JPapineau for helping me out with my rifle, turns out after market sights don't stay on so well when you don't have any LocTite on them. At least I learned the right way for next time.

I would also like to thank AFTERMATH for the military style sling he was kind enough to hook me up with, I was having a bear of a time with my standard sling in the prone position. 

Meet some great people last weekend, I hope to see them again at future shoots. Lodi, WI?

COLORADO

Trisha

congratulations to all the new rifleman! Maybe I'll be seeing some of you at the Lodi, WI shoot.

colycat

EEL said:   On behalf of your Instructors, it was an honor to be allowed to be there this weekend.

That is so true!  To be able to share American Heritage and pass on Rifleman skills to others is an honor.

Congratulations !Aftermath! Lee! Matt! and Robb!   Lot's more Wisconsin shoots coming up for you to attend.  I'm sure the instructors told you all about the 7th step, so don't be strangers now.  WI has already doubled the number of shoots in 2009; and we're going to need your help.  Colorado, see you at Lodi!

Good work JoeZ on bringing the kids.  Posterity!   

Glad to hear that full distance could be worked into the weekend.   That's cool 8)

I knew the Racine Appleseed would be in good hands with the IL instructors or we would never even consider allowing such a raid, but sheeeesh EEL, did you have to give my license plate number to the Illinois State Police?!? :D  And don't even START with "similar to the conditions at Knob Creek", packed sand.............. !@#)

Congratulations and thanks to all who made this a successful first Appleseed at Racine Co. Line.  Looking forward to the August 29-30 Racine Appleseed.

Old Glory!  OOOPS!
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

bedford

It was a great weekend!  Being from "up nort" where we still have > 1.5 feet of snow, we were shocked to see no snow, and hardly any mud!  The weather was beautiful, and the range was great.

This was my first experience as an IIT, and my wifes first experience as a shooter.  We both learned a lot and had a great time.  EEL and the other instructors did an excellent job.  I am thrilled with the progress so many on the line made over the weekend, and for the many who made rifleman.

I can't wait til Lodi!

colycat

This is Colycat, really!!  OG has been banished for posting under my name.  You all know I can't write that well.

On a serious note,  Thanks to all my brothers from down south for running this shoot.  You really know that you are always welcome behind the cheddar curtain, just as you have always made me so welcome in your fine state.  The down-Staters are the best people in the world, bar none. (I know EEL and TC,  your down-Staters also, in my mind)

4 rifleman out of twenty, I guess thats what we are made of in the Upper Midwest, along with the best instructors in AS.

But that said, YOU Guys from south of the boarder are some pretty hard players.  We wernt trying to take over anything!!  Just trying to get thru the territory.  No need to get the possi after OG, really now.  One nice thing about IL,  for another $30 you can keep your mis deeds off the record.  Everything is for sale, I guess.

congratulations Alex,  only a matter of time with you.  You were shooting rifleman groups all weekend at Lodi last yr, you just needed to put it all together.  Now you will shoot Rifleman all the time.

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

AFTERMATH

Thanks Colycat.  I figured it was about time...

4 years of subscription to shotgun news(for Fred's column)- $150
Instructors' pakage from Fred's M14 stocks- $35
SKS+2000rnds of ammunition- $500
LTR(because the SKS wasn't cutting it)- $300
2 Appleseeds and an IBC- $210
Gas for 2 Appleseeds and an IBC- $250

Becoming a Rifleman- Priceless.

Thank you to everyone who helped me along the way so I can finally start my journey.

Aftermath

(Stay tuned for Racine, AAR)
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Robbvious

colycat asked me to repost this here from the Wisconsin forum, so here goes:

We weren't able to make it today (Sunday) as my wife has rhuematoid arthritis and she was in a bunch of pain this morning as we got ready to leave, but we had a great time yesterday!  Diane and I were hugely impressed by the professionalism of the instructors, and Diane was especially grateful for the outstanding one-on-one help she got, as was I.  She had put only about 100 rounds through her 10/22 before Saturday, and only at our local 50' indoor range in bench rest conditions.  So, in only her second time ever shooting a rifle, she was able to score Marksman (153).  We have no doubt that she will attain Rifleman status soon, especially with all the great pointers we got on practicing, NPOA, and the six steps.  The lessons of April 19th, 1775 came through loud and clear and I actually felt more connected to that history than I have at any point in my 25 years in the military.  I am hugely proud of the Rifleman patch I earned yesterday, and I will wear it on my shooting jacket with reverence.  Congratulations to the two (or was it three?) other Rifleman who got their patches yesterday as well, especially Lee with his bolt action, buckhorn sighted rifle.  Now that's impressive!

Thanks to ShootBoss TreadCarefully and all of your cadre.  Well done, and we look forward to shooting again at Lodi and beyond.   
...in the event of Great Britain attempting to force unjust laws upon us by the strength of arms, our cause we leave to Heaven and our rifles. - Hanover Association, Lancaster County, PA 1774

Muskyjerk

Thanks guys for the instruction, I had a great time and learned allot. trying to swing Lodi.

It was an honor to shoot from 600 I never thought those 1 inch squares would payoff..

Old Glory!

Muskyjerk,
Welcome to Appleseed.  Thanks for posting the pictures.  The August  Racine Appleseed will sell out immediately based on that 600 yard picture alone.

Register here:
http://www.eventbrite.com/event/287497914%20
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Muskyjerk

Where did the pictures of the Rifleman patch hand outs go...or am I too early??????

didn't know if there was a thread showing all the pictures from across the country (that would be pretty cool) somewhere.........

Pappy

Hello Group; I have no excuse other than my SLOW dial up conection. I will have to have someone post them ASAP &) !@#) ++) :'( :-[ #) <:) >:( @&) &) &) &) &) &) &) &) &) &) &) &) &) &) %) !@#) I hear you all !!!! and I am Late Pappy
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

dragonfly

Hello everyone,

What a great Appleseed at Racine! Congratulations to all the new Riflemen and to the rest of you--persistence and practice and you're on your way. The invasion from IL left WI a better place--thanks TC, EEL, Sheepdog and Pappy. Also a great showing from WI--thanks Jrturobo, Joe Z and bedford.
     I also want to give a special thanks to Racine County Line Rifle Range. What a great range and super people. The range officers John and John were a big help.  The opportunity to shoot at 600 yds. was a little intimidating, but heck, I'm a rifleman. Six of us went to shoot, 3 at a time.  Two in the pits (plus RO John), 3 shooting, Jrturbo spotting, and an instructor to run the line.  I went into the pits first.  It was impressive all of the hits.  I knew these were men among men, Riflemen. We drove back to the firing line and the other two spotters headed for the pits. Then it was our turn.  After all the proper range commands, I dialed my M1a in and I knew what it was capable of--it was up to me.  4MOA at 600 yds. is 24" 7 ring and better that was my goal.  I turned to TC and said I'd like to take 13 shots. He smiled and I think he knew what I was up to. First shot, NPOA 6 steps: focus, breath, squeeze follow through, the target went down for scoring. Turbo shouted out 9 ring, wow all the rest were 7 ring or better.  4 MOA at 600yds ,yes 1" squares translates to real distance.  Thirteen shots, one for each of the original 13 colonies. Thank you Appleseed, thank you FRED, and thank you colycat for teaching me how to be a rifleman.  Especially, thanks to those who sacrificed so much for this great country. God bless America.
dragonfly             

www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

colycat

Dragonfly,

We have both come a long way since we met at the range less than 2 yrs ago, have'nt we?

Coly

Old Glory!

Quote from: dragonfly on March 18, 2009, 11:22:35 PM
After all the proper range commands, I dialed my M1a in and I knew what it was capable of--it was up to me.  4MOA at 600 yds. is 24" 7 ring and better that was my goal.  I turned to TC and said I'd like to take 13 shots. He smiled and I think he knew what I was up to. First shot, NPOA 6 steps: focus, breath, squeeze follow through, the target went down for scoring. Turbo shouted out 9 ring, wow all the rest were 7 ring or better.  4 MOA at 600yds ,yes 1" squares translates to real distance.  Thirteen shots, one for each of the original 13 colonies. Thank you Appleseed, thank you FRED, and thank you colycat for teaching me how to be a rifleman.  Especially, thanks to those who sacrificed so much for this great country. God bless America.
dragonfly             

Thank you Dragonfly for that post.  An appreciation of the sacrifices made for this great country is in your heart and mind.  That is what makes the best instructors.   People will see that in you, and will learn from you.  It is an honor to have you among the Wisconsin and Great Lakes Team of instructors.   Now I have to go find a Kleenex.
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

dragonfly

I almost forget,
        all you Appleseeder's young and old take a look at the appleseed schedule and look for the next appleseed near you. If you can't make it to one on April 19th find another that works. If you can't find one near you think of that old uncle you hav'nt seen in years or the brother or sister you've been wanting to visit. There is an appleseed almost everywhere in the country. Remember we've got a country to save.
dragonfly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Reveille

Wow!  My 1st Appleseed and you guys invite me to shoot from 600!  I am glad that I was able to man up.  I am officially hooked.  You will be seeing me around a lot more. I will be at Alton next month. This is a great program and I could'nt have asked for more.  To all the instructors, thank you for your guidance and encouragement, you truly are great.  See you soon, Jim Repavich -AKA- (Reveille)  "The Awakened".
A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.

Pappy

Hello Group; Here are some photos. Pappy
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

Pappy

AND A FEW MORE!!! HOPE YOU LIKE THEM !!!!  PAPPY

EEL

Pappy,

WOW!!  Great job on the pics   O0 
If you weren't such a good IIT and armorer, I'd nominate you for O - Fish- al picture taker   >:D

Seriously, Thanks for thinking of taking pictures.  It helps capture the proud moment when we add another Rifleman to the ranks.

As you all can see, conditions quite similar to those at KCR.   >:D  >:D    Well, kinda, sorta.  OK so they weren't!!! 

Racine is a terrific range to hold an Appleseed.  Nice 25 yard and the poss. to go distance.  Be there for the next one if you can.

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Old Glory!

I see some mud!  Well, kinda, sorta.  Okay, it's just a little clean puddle of water.

Good to see all the new Appleseed faces.  Look forward to meeting you on the trail.

Muskyjerk

Thanks Pappy. Nice picture takin, and instructing, and rifle repairing, and your wife's bread was good too...... :)

Rotor

On behalf of the Racine club I want to thank you all for coming. I was grateful to finally have Appleseed to come visit us and look forward to the next one in August.

Everybody was dream to work with.

I can't say enough about the professionalism from the Blue, Red and Orange hats.

Of course they can shoot but they can also camp.

Shhhhh! you might wake them ( except for Sheepdog)

JR

AFTERMATH

Quote from: AFTERMATH on March 17, 2009, 03:09:33 AM
Thanks Colycat.  I figured it was about time...

4 years of subscription to shotgun news(for Fred's column)- $150
Instructors' pakage from Fred's M14 stocks- $35
SKS+2000rnds of ammunition- $500
LTR(because the SKS wasn't cutting it)- $300
2 Appleseeds and an IBC- $210
Gas for 2 Appleseeds and an IBC- $250

Becoming a Rifleman- Priceless.

Thank you to everyone who helped me along the way so I can finally start my journey.

Aftermath

(Stay tuned for Racine, AAR)

Oh boy, looking back - that was nothin'!  I'm still paying for it, and I don't even want to know what the receipts say.

After nearly 6 years of reflection and introspection, persistence and determination, character building and life changing sacrifice, I have reevaluated my initial statement regarding the journey to becoming a Rifleman.

Becoming a Rifleman - Priceless, literally.

Workin' on it.
:cool2:
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Fred

After, I don't know who the young fellow in the pic, the one holding the RB up next to his target, and smiling proudly, is - the last time I saw you, you were an old dude... ;D

But that Stage 1 sucks, big-time.

Stages 2, 3, and 4 look pretty good, altho both 3 and 4 show evidence of a failure to shift NPOA. But, heck, I don't need to tell YOU that, right?

Nice trip down memory lane... O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...