News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Carroll, OH Winterseed Jan. 22 & 23

Started by Cadence, January 24, 2022, 07:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadence

The weather was perfect at the Central Ohio Coon Hunters Association for a Winterseed, with temps starting in the single digits for Saturday morning and a snow storm that brought 2-3 inches of snow that started Sunday morning along with significant winds. The 13 shooters were a mostly current riflemen and riflewomen which made the event move right along. All who showed up for this event were attentive and chomping at the bit to earn the icicle patch.

We started Saturday morning with the normal welcome, introductions and moved to the safety briefing. Rifles were brought to the line and the Saturday morning Red Coat was shot.  Results showed we had a great bunch of shooters. We had 11 of 13 shooters good at 100, 8 at 200, 5 at 300, 5 at 400, and 6 joined Daniel Morgan.  We also had 3 cleared Red Coats.

We moved on to the steady hold factors in prone, followed by the six steps and NPOA instructions.  Related drills were shot in between the points of instruction and groups began to shrink. IMC presentation on how to adjust sights was presented before we broke for lunch and the First Strike was presented.
After lunch we shot confirming groups and moved on to the steady hold factors in seated and standing which were followed by related drills. The Second Strike was presented by Jiminbolivar at the afternoon break.

This was followed by a practice AQT and the afternoon redcoat. The Saturday afternoon Red Coat had results which showed improvement at the longer distances over the morning effort.  Of the 12 shooters, we had 11 at 100, 8 at 200, 6 at 300, 6 at 400 and 7 joined Daniel Morgan. We also had 5 people clear the Redcoat for the Saturday PM target.

This was followed by the Third Strike and the Saturday call to Action.

Sunday cold and overcast with the promise of heavy snow during the day. We started the day with a review of the safety rules and the POI's from Saturday. Rifles were brought to the line and the Sunday morning Red Coat was shot.  It was very encouraging.  Usually there is a little drop on Sunday morning but this group knew very well what they were about. Of the 11 shooters present, we had 10 at 100, 8 at 200, 7 at 300, 3 at 400, and 4 joined Daniel Morgan. We also had 2 shooters who cleared the Redcoat.

We confirmed zero's from the day before, and then started the AQT grind because of the weather forecast. We got in 3 AQT's before our lunch break allowing  the shooters warm up. Jiminbolivar presented Josiah Haynes and Sam Whittemore during our lunch break.

We handed out the morning AQT scores with Aramis showing he knows very well what he is about by scoring a solid 214 on his first attempt. This was Aramis' seventh Appleseed event proving that a rifleman persists. Just to show it wasn't a fluke, Aramis also followed up with scores of 230 and 215. Mom, Melia, showed that she also knew very well what she was about with scores of 227 and 224 to earn her Winterseed patch. Dad, Denton was not to be outdone by posting scores of 214,230, and 217.

Shooter Jon also shot a rifleman's score on his first attempt with an impressive 226. He also followed up with scores of 231 and 221. Michael rounded out the group of existing rifleman requalifying with scores of 214,220, and 222.

We were only able to get in 2 AQT's in the afternoon due to the snow forecast but the shooters made these AQT's count with Scotty requalifying with a 220.

Although we did not add any new rifleman, we had several shooters with solid scores and getting on the porch knocking on the door.  Shooter Mark was pounding on the door with a 209, but just could not get the door open.

The day ended with the Sunday afternoon Redcoat.  We had 10 of 10 at 100, 8 at 200, 8 at 300, 5 at 400, 3 joined Daniel Morgan and one shooter cleared the target.

I want to give our youth shooter Anna - age 9 special recognition. This was her second event and even though see didn't shoot a rifleman's score, she had scores in the high 190 for most of the Sunday AQT's.

I want to thank the Central Ohio Coon Hunter's Association for allowing Appleseed access to their fabulous facility. Also, I hand to thank my instructors Cactus Jack, Blackbird, Jiminbolivar, Charley, Meadow, and Chewy and Camo Cowboy. You made my task easier by your effort and professionalism.
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

Meadow

Great group of "weather hardened" shooters.  Dressed for the weather with attitudes of successful marksmanship.
The entire group was ready to move to next stage without delay.  Made the time monkey very manageable.
Snow from previous day made shooting mats very mobile but the riflemen persisted and overcame the obstacle to shoot great scores.

Congrats to the entire group of attendees, and those that got the cherished "icicles.

A true Winterseed  range, doesn't let us down with its weather. 

USSEnterpriseCV6

Our task is to deal with the dust, but not to burn down the house in order to remove it.
-Francis Schaffer

Rifleman 8/28/22

Corvette

USS Enterprise, CV6, the grey ghost from WWII.  Great handle and glad you had a great time at the COCH winterseed.  Huzzah!!!

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Cadence

A few photos to prove it happened.
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

Cadence

More Photos
~ Samuel Adams

Cadence

Some more Photos - I know other people have photos from this past weekend. Please post.
~ Samuel Adams

Trunk Monkey

Corvette getting some on an amazing platform.

Trunk Monkey

I wanted to say thank you again for the wonderful weekend.  The instruction was on point, the shooters on the line were safe, motivated, and focused.  Overall, I hoped to be able to shoot a real Winterseed and see what the differences between shooting in fair weather compared to inclement was, and we got it!   I think that the instructors need to take a bow, in that they were able to help such a large number of shooters obtain their patch!

Charley

Photos from Saturday

Nashville Stage

"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Cadence

That is Anna - our 9 year old at her second Appleseed event. She was an absolute delight to have on the line. She was usually the first to have her mags prepped and ready to go. Enthusiastic all weekend long and had scores in the high 190's for most of Sunday.

Kudos to her for wanting to brave the cold and snow instead of sitting home and doing whatever it is that young children do these days. Also kudos to her parents for doing a fantastic job of raising a young patriot   O0
~ Samuel Adams

USSEnterpriseCV6

Anna was great to share a bay with for the weekend!
Our task is to deal with the dust, but not to burn down the house in order to remove it.
-Francis Schaffer

Rifleman 8/28/22

USSEnterpriseCV6

Quote from: Corvette on January 25, 2022, 12:53:33 PM
USS Enterprise, CV6, the grey ghost from WWII.  Great handle and glad you had a great time at the COCH winterseed.  Huzzah!!!

Corvette

Thanks! When I first read about her in school I fell in love and now use the name whenever I can online, was super excited after my first event to see it was available.
-Francis Schaffer

Rifleman 8/28/22