News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

March Field Shoot-Mississippi Sharpshooters

Started by wildman, March 13, 2009, 08:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildman

March the 28th Field Shoot Honors the Mississippi Sharpshooters at the Battle of Fredericksburg.

In November of '62 Confederate Scouts reported the Army of the Potomic under the command of Major-General Ambrose Burnside was on the move and headed for the Town of Fredericksburg Va. Lt-Gen Longstreet (CSA) ordered his Corps to the city. Longstreet's troops occupied the Town of Fredericksburg Va. and the surrounding hills east of the Rappahannock River. In short order the Army of Northern Virginia and the Army of the Potomac faced each other across the Rappahannock. 

Major-General Lafayette McLaws'(CSA) Division was task with preparing defenses in the town to prevent or delay a possible river crossing by the Union Forces. General Barksdales Mississippians dug rifle pits and trenches under the cover of darkness along the river bank. Cellars in the town were made available to the Mississippi riflemen. The Mississippi Units were the commanded by Lt.Col Fisers,and included 17th Mississippi,composed of his own regiment, 10 sharpshooters from the 13th Mississippi and 3 companies of the 18th Mississippi. 

On the evening of the 10 December pickets reported hearing the Union Forces across the river hauling pontoon boats to the rivers edge. McLaws ordered Barksdale to hold their fire and,"let the bridge building go on until the enemy were committed to it and the construction parties were within easy range." At 4:30 am The Mississippians opened fire and swept the bridge crowded with engineers. According to McLaws "nine attempts were made to complete the bridge." All attempts failed with heavy loss of life.

At 10:00 according to McLaws, "the tremendous array of Federal artillery opened fire from the heights above the city. It is impossible to fitly to describe the effects of this iron hail hurled against this small band of defenders and into the devoted city. The roar of cannon, the bursting shells, the falling of walls and chimneys, and the flying bricks and other material dislodged from the houses by the iron balls and shells, added to the fire of the infantry from both sides and the smoke from the guns and from the burning houses, made a scene of indescribable confusion, enough, to appall the stoutest hearts! Under cover of this bombardment the Federals renewed their efforts to construct the bridges but the little band of Mississippians in their rifle pits held their posts, and successfully repelled every attempt."

At 4:30 the Federals began crossing the river in boats. McLaws ordered the Mississippians to withdraw. The deployment of the Union Forces at the river crossings had revealed to the ANV where the Union had planned their attacks.

The dogged defense and marksmanship of the Mississippians at the river crossing had given the ANV a full day to shift their forces to meet the Union on terms favoring the ANV. The battle at Fredericksburg ended with a lopsided victory for the South. The Mississippi Sharpshooters who with courage and ability helped make that victory possible deserve to be remembered.

Union losses (1,284 killed
                 9,600 wounded
                 1,769 captured/missing)

Southern Losses (608 killed
                       4,116 wounded
                       653 captured/missing)

Shoot starts at 09:00 sharp. Bring rifle, 200 rounds, and lunch. Range fee: $45.00

Don't get your shorts in a wad the RWVA does not promote any causes other than Marksmanship and Heritage. The April Shoot honors Col. Berdan (USA) and the 1st US Sharpshooters.

This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC

Son of Martha

That's a GREAT idea and a great story.  I had an ancestor in McLaw's division, and have a son named after him.

Good job also on having a "fair and balanced" Yankee shoot, also.  We coulda beat them with cornstalks...they just wouldn't FIGHT with cornstalks  %).

I am gonna try to get to this one...what's the COF gonna be like?

SoM
Raise ye the stone or cleave the wood to make a path more fair or flat
Lo, it is black already with blood some Son of Martha spilled for that
Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, nor as a witness to any creed
But simple service, simply given, to his own kind in their common need.

wildman

The COF has changed somewhat. We are still doing the exercises we use to do Eight Down, Counter Attack, and the like but have add 1st Hit and 100 Yard Snap. We have work out some of the bugs with 1st Hit. When we ran it at the last shoot it was kinda slow but KOMA made a great suggestion which really speeds it up. At the last shoot we had a real problem with the 400 yard "F" targets. We have come up with a solution at least I think we have.
This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC

Old Dog

I can't make this one.  VA IBC that weekend.  Oh well.  We'll see when the next one is.  Enjoy it.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

hawkeye

I'm bringing iron sights and saving my scoped rifle for the sniper shoot. It's more fun (challenge) to shoot iron sights even though you might miss some.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

wildman

Great news! I just checked the weather forecast and the weather folks are calling for Saturday to be 93% cloudy. Why is that good? Targets are easier to see when its cloudy that is why its good news. Real riflemen don't care about a little rain or a lot of rain. We only want the opportunity to to do our thing in any weather. Oil your smoke pole throw the gore-tex along with 200 hundred rounds in the pick up and head for Ramseur. The roll call for real rifemen begins at 8:30 shootin' starts at 9:00 sharp.

hawkeye

I'm not letting a little rain stop me or my crew from making a shoot! We'll be there smoke poles ready. Keaton has a new rifle to try out, so we can see how he does.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

JohnnyReb

Just wait till you guys see my new toy.  :~

Hot dogs wont do it justice, I'm bringing brats!
One Bank to rule them all, one Bank to find them, one Bank to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

wildman

The Mississippi Sharpshooter Shoot went off as planned on Saturday in spite of the threatening rain. Friday evening I had my concerns as the weather forecast for Saturday was not good. The sky was cloudy all day which worked to our advantage and the rain held off until later in the afternoon on Saturday. We were also blessed with no or very little wind  most of the day.

75% That's the new standard for 1st round hits from the prone unsupported using iron sights at targets from 200 to 500 yards. That's the percent hits achieved by three of the shooters at the Mississippi Sharpshooters Shoot Saturday. Hawkeye had the top points score with Boltgun and wildman right behind. Hawkeye was shooting a US Model 1917, Boltgun a NM AR and wildman used an M14SA to good effect. Tim R. an old friend of ours came in a close forth shooting an FN FAL. KOMA came in fifth with his M1A.

One of the many great things about Field Shoots at Ramseur is the chance to shoot at actual range and get good dope on your rifle/ammo. We all know zeros change with temperature and changes in humidity. That is the reason we start each field shoot with zero fire. Ammo is too expensive to waste!

We have all heard the following:
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is MINE.
There is another line:
I must master it as I must master my life.

If I had to use one sentence to describe the objective of Field Shooting that would be it; mastering your rifle.

Bring the best you got and master it.

hawkeye

Thanks Wildman for another great shoot! I believe Boltgun out shot me but the 5.56mm won't always hit the target hard enough to trigger the switch to make the target fall. If the targets were returning fire we would not shoot at 75% first hits. Let's rise the bar next time and go for 80 or 85%, iron sights. The 1917 is my back up rifle to the Garand at most shoots. That first zero is most important to having a good day at the range other wise your screwed the rest of the day (ask you know who with the Mauser). I went home with an extra shooting mat, pm me and I will get it to you. We had some of the best shooters I've ever had the pleasure to shoot with. Thanks again

boltgun71

I will second what hawkeye said by thanking Wildman.  The shoots he puts on our first rate and they really help you to learn your rifle and what your capable of doing with it.  Shooting side by side with so many great shots for a little friendly competition helps also.  Everyone is extremely friendly and always willing to help each other at these field shoots.  If you want to shoot full distance out to 460yds and see what you and your rifle are capable of then don't wait and make sure you get to one of these field shoots.  You are guaranteed to have fun, meet great people, and learn something about yourself and your rifle.  Thanks again Wildman for another great shoot, I will be looking forward to the next one.

COUNTERATTACK!!!

wildman

Thanks guys but is the folks that come that make it work. The friendly competition is very important it makes us practice a little harder.

One of the things we need to do is spend more time coaching the trigger jerking and any other problem out of our jr shooters. Its important we leave no one behind.

hawkeye

I'm afraid that I have let the young ones down by not watching them close enough during the sighting in. Next shoot I will make sure they have a good zero to start with. I know they can shoot well , they've proven that, just got to get them doing it all the time. If your on the fence about coming to a field shoot all I have to say is Try it you'll like it. Several people drive from other states for the action. Counter Attack ! Try it you'll love it!