News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

General Casimir Pulaski Memorial Day 11 October

Started by CarrollMS, October 11, 2021, 10:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarrollMS

General Pulaski, "The Father of American Cavalry"  A great day to shoot the Appleseed Pistol Clinic Redcoat target and Appleseed Pistol Clinic course of fire-given that the Dragoon Pistol was a primary weapon for the Cavalry

Congress set 11 October as his memorial day on the US holiday calendar in 1909 and made him an honorary US citizen in 2009.  Pulaski was a key military leader in the quest for Polish and US Independence.
Service:
Brandywine 1777 - credited with saving the Army and Washington's life- promoted to Brig. General.
Germantown 1777
Valley Forge 1777-78
Burlington 1778
Savannah 1779 - KIA with Grapeshot in a Cavalry charge leading US and French cavalry units

Proclamation

On General Pulaski Memorial Day, we honor Brigadier General Casimir Pulaski, a Polish-born hero of the American Revolution, who gave his life 242 years ago in defense of our cause to establish a free and independent Nation.  Known as the "Father of the American Cavalry" for his leadership and military skills, General Pulaski's service and sacrifice remain a shining example of the countless contributions that immigrants have made to help build our great Nation.
Today, General Pulaski's legacy and contributions to our democracy are honored by more than 9 million Polish-Americans in communities across our country.  Polish-Americans have played an integral role in the growth of our Nation â€" defending our country in uniform, protecting our communities as first responders, starting new businesses and growing our economy, educating the next generation of American leaders, working on the front lines of the pandemic, and creating art that inspires us, to name just a few examples.
In 1929, the Congress recognized General Pulaski's enduring impact on American society by declaring October 11, "General Pulaski Memorial Day."  Eighty years later, the Congress granted him honorary United States citizenship.  Today, States, cities, and communities all across our Nation celebrate the memory of General Casimir Pulaski at parks, schools, and landmarks that bear his name â€" serving as a reminder of his heroism and the sacrifice he made in defense of our newly formed Nation.
On this day, we celebrate the life of General Casimir Pulaski and the ideals and democratic values for which he bravely gave his life â€" values shared by the United States and Poland, which underpin the enduring bond of friendship between our countries.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim October 11, 2021, as "General Pulaski Memorial Day."  I encourage all Americans to commemorate this occasion with appropriate programs and activities paying tribute to General Casimir Pulaski and honoring all those who defend the freedom of our great Nation.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this eighth day of October, in the year of our Lord two thousand twenty-one, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-sixth.
JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR.

In the Commonwealth of Kentucky, we have Pulaski County and other tributes to this Revolutionary War Hero-Seems fitting.
more here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_Pulaski
msc

"Pro Libertate"
Distinguished,
Known Distance,
Rimfire KD 200

Quinncannon

General Pulaski, is certainly an American hero, I've known of him and his deeds for many years now! Whenever I happen to be in the company of Americans of Polish descent, I usually mention the General, so far everyone of these folks already know of him! Pulaski county, Arkansas, is named for him.
"This we"ll defend"

Rifleman patch, first Appleseed, N. Little Rock, April 2010.
KD qualified, Talledega, July 2016
KD qualified, Manchester, Sept 2016
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, June 2018
Infernoseed, Bald Knob, June 2018
250 Perfect score, Bald Knob, 17 June, 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2019
Distinguished, Hot Springs, April 2019
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2020
Distinguished, Bald Knob,  Aug 2020
Distinguished, Bolt Action, Bald Knob, Jan 2021
Distinguished, Menifee, Arkansas Aug 2021
Distinguished KD, 50/50, 50/50, Hot Springs, AR Oct 2021
Distinguished, Bolt Action and Semi, Bald Knob, Jan 2022

Tennessee Beast

In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

CarrollMS

Quote from: Tennessee Beast on October 13, 2021, 11:29:25 AM
Interestingly, he was genetically female.

"Intersex" some anthropologists now believe from his skeletal remains (whatever that means) and DNA that has positively identified the skeleton as Pulaski's, but he was baptized a boy

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/was-revolutionary-war-hero-casimir-pulaski-intersex-180971907/
"Pro Libertate"
Distinguished,
Known Distance,
Rimfire KD 200

Steck

Kids get the day off from school (or at least they used to) around heavily-Polish Chicago for Pulaski Day.