Author Topic: Nerf and the Art of Firearms Safety  (Read 137 times)

Offline Caife Trean

Nerf and the Art of Firearms Safety
« on: October 07, 2021, 01:02:15 PM »
Being a parent of a small child and a firearms owner, I came up with a way to introduce her to the idea of firearms safety through play, and wanted to share it here in case it may be of some benefit to other parents out there. I used Nerf guns as a means of both ingraining safety while simultaneously getting her ready early for hitting the range once she's old enough. We went over the four rules of gun safety, and I set up some plastic cups at different stations in a makeshift range. We treated it like a real hot range with "safe" directions the Nerf guns could be pointed, and eye protection. She got to practice sight picture, sight alignment, and transitioning between targets. Whenever she did anything that would be unsafe with a real gun (turning around and flagging me, bracing the muzzle against her own leg to load, etc) I'd call her out on it. It's turned into a fun game that she sets up on her own sometimes now. She's gotten good about being safe with a toy gun, even called me out for pointing a Nerf gun at the TV. I keep my real firearms secured; but now I feel much better that if, God forbid, I ever accidentally left one out her first instinct wouldn't be to point it at someone or put her finger on the trigger.

If you want to try this at your home, all you need is some cups, some space, a dart gun, and safety glasses. Young children can get used to not pointing a toy gun at someone, trigger discipline, and paying attention to their surroundings.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. -Red Green

Rifleman 09.18.2021

Offline Mrs. Smith

• Deputy Ladyseed National Coordinator - NM State Coordinator
  • designated Shoot Boss
  • TANSTAAFL!
Re: Nerf and the Art of Firearms Safety
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 01:15:02 PM »
This is beautiful!   :bow:  Almost makes me wish my kids were young enough to go back and teach them this way!

Almost  ;)
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"I will accept the rules that you feel are necessary for YOUR freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert A. Heinlein

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

"I can kill you with my brain." - River Tam

Rifleman 5/29/16
Distinguished Rifleman 06/19/19 LADYSEED
KD Rifleman 10/20/19  KD Requal 10/04/20

Offline Caife Trean

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 03:21:58 PM »
Thanks! And sorry, I saw your post about using Imgur after I uploaded this.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. -Red Green

Rifleman 09.18.2021

Offline Mrs. Smith

• Deputy Ladyseed National Coordinator - NM State Coordinator
  • designated Shoot Boss
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 04:45:55 PM »
Thanks! And sorry, I saw your post about using Imgur after I uploaded this.

meh. It's all good. Next time  ;)
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"I will accept the rules that you feel are necessary for YOUR freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert A. Heinlein

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

"I can kill you with my brain." - River Tam

Rifleman 5/29/16
Distinguished Rifleman 06/19/19 LADYSEED
KD Rifleman 10/20/19  KD Requal 10/04/20

Offline Charles McKinley

• designated Shoot Boss
  • Formerly Stand
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 10:43:31 AM »
Very cool, these days go extremely fast.☹️  Enjoy them!
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery