News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Posting Pictures Painlessly

Started by Mrs. Smith, October 06, 2021, 10:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrs. Smith

Good evening, Everyone,

In the last 6 years, with the guidance of folks smarter than me, I've learned a bit about how the forum works from a technical perspective, and how to work with it instead of against it.  Probably the biggest challenge in posting is the inclusion of pictures.

Our forum has limited space for hosting pictures in each post.  With modern smart-phone cameras getting fancier and fancier, the pictures are also getting bigger and bigger.  That means more work, a LOT more time, and fewer pictures per post.

Having a series of replies to the same post can be irritating to folks having to sift through the forum.

Having to try to figure out which picture goes with which part of the text? Mind-numbing. 

WHAT IF!! there was a way to post 50 pictures in a post QUICKLY, with a very simple upload process, WITHOUT adding strain to the forum's storage capabilites?

Well, there is!  It's an image-hosting site called Imgur.

I have been using it for a while now and have to come to really like it. It's free to sign up and has a built in editor, which is pretty handy once you get the swing of things. You can get the app on your phone and upload images right from there, and you can set the images to either Public or Private.  As pictures here are often shooting related, I suggest private, otherwise you may have people commenting on them in Imgur.

I have made up a small "How to" for using Imgur, and thought others might like a quick and easy tutorial.

Step 1. Create an imgur.com account on your phone or PC.  It can be used simultaneously on both!

Step 2. Take some pics on your phone and up load thru the app, or add some pics off your PC, just follow the on screen instructions.

Once you have some pics, it should look something like this:

Step 3. Hover on the image and to the right of the image you will see a menu pop up.  Click "Get Share Links"

Step 4.  On the option BBCode (Forums), click Copy Link.

Step 5.  Once you've copied the link, you can either paste it to Notepad (to collect a bunch of links quickly) or directly into your forum post.  The links will come pre-formatted for forum code.

Simple and precise.  Doesn't matter if you're uploading with the app or your computer, it's an easy batch upload.  Then grab the links and paste them into your post, EXACTLY where you want them!

I hope ya'll find this helpful!

In Liberty,
Traci

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Quinncannon

Thanks for sharing this! I've been using imgur for a while on another site that I'm on a lot, but I haven't found the trick to sharing pics here, this will help me tremendously!
"This we"ll defend"

Rifleman patch, first Appleseed, N. Little Rock, April 2010.
KD qualified, Talledega, July 2016
KD qualified, Manchester, Sept 2016
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, June 2018
Infernoseed, Bald Knob, June 2018
250 Perfect score, Bald Knob, 17 June, 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2019
Distinguished, Hot Springs, April 2019
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2020
Distinguished, Bald Knob,  Aug 2020
Distinguished, Bolt Action, Bald Knob, Jan 2021
Distinguished, Menifee, Arkansas Aug 2021
Distinguished KD, 50/50, 50/50, Hot Springs, AR Oct 2021
Distinguished, Bolt Action and Semi, Bald Knob, Jan 2022

Mrs. Smith

Happy to oblige!

I figured I couldn't be the only one doing this...   :wb:
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Steck

THANK YOU !!!      THANK YOU !!!               THANK YOU !!!

KProctor

Are we not suppose to talk about the various 1903 pics in the tutorial, because that's the real hero here.

Honestly thank you I've had to limit my photo posts to 15 or less because it just takes to long to upload, upload again, resize, download, post it. Post it again because I messed up, post it again because I messed up again, ask my wife to post them because I can't work the computer.

This should streamline things immensely so
Rifleman   06/20
Rifle KD     12/20
Pistoleerâ„¢    07/21
Rimfire KD 01/22
Morgans Shingle 05/22

Black Knight

Mrs. Smith, you are always the best!!  This will help me tremendously!  Thank you.
Black Knight
1st AS: Tuscaloosa, AL OCT  8-9, 2016
Applecore: Jun 6, 2017
AC/RSO: Jul 12, 2017
IBC: Pelham, TN Feb 23-24, 2019
Pistol IBC: Mar 5,2021

Mrs. Smith

I can't tell ya'll how tempted I am to go back to all my AARs and systematically re-do them.  I've already done it with the Flag of the Month posts, and still plan to do so with the Women's History Month posts. It's just so much better! Heck, as recently June I was still doing  :wb:

Kevin,  I wish I could say I owned that beautiful piece of hardware, but I had some help with the screen shots :whistle: I DO, however, have a rubber ducky  :cool2: his name is Edwin.

kmkahuna

Have you ever seen this? I added more pictures onto my post for this latest Appleseed and Imgur said it violated their terms.
There was no profanity, no nudity, nothing that could be construed as violating any of their policy in any of the pictures.
See all the pictures here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XopVvvPfhfRx4Pwx9

Has anyone else had problems violating their policies on Imgur?
Kurt

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on October 06, 2021, 10:22:56 PM
Good evening, Everyone,

In the last 6 years, with the guidance of folks smarter than me, I've learned a bit about how the forum works from a technical perspective, and how to work with it instead of against it.  Probably the biggest challenge in posting is the inclusion of pictures.

Our forum has limited space for hosting pictures in each post.  With modern smart-phone cameras getting fancier and fancier, the pictures are also getting bigger and bigger.  That means more work, a LOT more time, and fewer pictures per post.

Having a series of replies to the same post can be irritating to folks having to sift through the forum.

Having to try to figure out which picture goes with which part of the text? Mind-numbing. 

WHAT IF!! there was a way to post 50 pictures in a post QUICKLY, with a very simple upload process, WITHOUT adding strain to the forum's storage capabilites?

Well, there is!  It's an image-hosting site called Imgur.

I have been using it for a while now and have to come to really like it. It's free to sign up and has a built in editor, which is pretty handy once you get the swing of things. You can get the app on your phone and upload images right from there, and you can set the images to either Public or Private.  As pictures here are often shooting related, I suggest private, otherwise you may have people commenting on them in Imgur.

I have made up a small "How to" for using Imgur, and thought others might like a quick and easy tutorial.

Step 1. Create an imgur.com account on your phone or PC.  It can be used simultaneously on both!

Step 2. Take some pics on your phone and up load thru the app, or add some pics off your PC, just follow the on screen instructions.

Once you have some pics, it should look something like this:

Step 3. Hover on the image and to the right of the image you will see a menu pop up.  Click "Get Share Links"

Step 4.  On the option BBCode (Forums), click Copy Link.

Step 5.  Once you've copied the link, you can either paste it to Notepad (to collect a bunch of links quickly) or directly into your forum post.  The links will come pre-formatted for forum code.

Simple and precise.  Doesn't matter if you're uploading with the app or your computer, it's an easy batch upload.  Then grab the links and paste them into your post, EXACTLY where you want them!

I hope ya'll find this helpful!

In Liberty,
Traci
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
Samuel Adams, September 1722 -- October, 1803

JustKim

I hate to admit this, but I just recently tried this -- and I have to say it is AMAZING!!!!  It is simple and you are able to put the photos right where you want them.

Thanks Mrs Smith -- wish I would've tried it sooner!!

JustKim
ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan

rambo granny

I'm in Imgur jail. For whatever reason, it tells me my log in info is denied.
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: rambo granny on December 19, 2022, 09:31:35 AM
I'm in Imgur jail. For whatever reason, it tells me my log in info is denied.

Well dang.  I'm sorry, Janet.  But there are other photo hosting sites. It should work essentially the same way.

Leadslinger66

Tried this for the first time. After I stumbled through my setup, it worked well. I do have a couple of questions that I hope someone can answer: 1) is there a process to downsize the pictures so that they don't show up too wide on the forum post? I have to scroll right on my iPad due to their size, and 2) I added captions in Imgur, but they didn't carry over to the forum post. Can that be made to work?
John

"We mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor." - the signers of the Declaration of Independence

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: Leadslinger66 on January 01, 2023, 02:17:14 PM
Tried this for the first time. After I stumbled through my setup, it worked well. I do have a couple of questions that I hope someone can answer: 1) is there a process to downsize the pictures so that they don't show up too wide on the forum post? I have to scroll right on my iPad due to their size, and 2) I added captions in Imgur, but they didn't carry over to the forum post. Can that be made to work?

Hi John!

There's definitely a process to downsize images.

When you go to your images page on Imgur, look in the top right corner. 

You should be seeing this:

Notice the bar that says "Auto Resize."  You must select the size you want before choosing your album, if you're going to, and before clicking on "Add Images."

When you do, you'll get this dropdown menu:

640x480 should result in a minimum of scrolling left and right on your ipad, and still be big enough to not need eye drops and a magnifying glass.  But play with the sizes to see what works for you best.

As for captions, I'm afraid I can't help you there.  If a reader were to double-click on an image you've posted here, causing it to open on the imgur website, I suspect they'll be visible. However, as far as I can tell, there's no way to get your captions to transfer to your forum post.  You'll have to caption them in your post where applicable.

I hope this was helpful.

In Liberty,
Traci

upacreek

I'm late to the party adding pictures (or posting at all), but I was ready to chuck my computer out the window and then blow it up (probably in that order) this morning.  :wb: It took me a while to traverse Imgur on my phone and then get images to the computer before.  Now it seems that Imgur is new and improved making embedding things onto this forum impossible.  There is a button to return things to the previous format for those of us that don't do well with tech changes.  It was somewhere near the bottom right of the page.  I tried to get back to it to see exactly before posting, but now it just opens in the previous format.  My computer is saved until the next little change on anything.

Hunt in the bottom right corner if you're getting frustrated too.  Thanks for the how-to posts - they are a necessity for some of us denser ones.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Trail Life USA - WI

^:)^

This has been a great help to me Mrs. Smith!  I was able to get pictures added to my post on our event's AAR after two previous fails.  Thank you.

All I have to do now is figure out how to delete the two post that were major fails in terms of adding the photos that I wanted to share.  That little note with a pencil icon is elusive!

Have a great day!

TLUSA-WI Patriot  :F

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: Trail Life USA - WI on September 19, 2023, 11:49:59 AM
^:)^

This has been a great help to me Mrs. Smith!  I was able to get pictures added to my post on our event's AAR after two previous fails.  Thank you.

All I have to do now is figure out how to delete the two post that were major fails in terms of adding the photos that I wanted to share.  That little note with a pencil icon is elusive!

Have a great day!

TLUSA-WI Patriot  :F

I'm happy to be of help, sir. 

Your two "oops" posts aren't hurting anything, but you can modify them if you like, instead of making a new one with your pictures.