News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New to Ruger

Started by Caife Trean, July 13, 2021, 03:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles McKinley

First thing you do in prep period is remove the chamber flag and drop your bolt.  This makes the auto bolt release a non-issue.  Also if someone barrows your rifle they will be able to work their own 10/22 when they buy it and it doesn't have the release.  If I can teach my 8 and 9 year old daughters to do it anyone ready to safely operate a rifle can learn the 10/22 bolt release.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Not Sure

Sounds kind of impossible given that everything is simply pinned together only when the holes line up.  Can you test mag insertion and release with the stock removed?  If there's a problem with the stock removed, I would suspect an issue with the plunger.  Otherwise, maybe an issue with the alignment with the action and the stock.

Caife Trean

@arrows & olives: I'm seeing the same thing with the stock off. [NOTE: Magazine and chamber are empty]
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. -Red Green

Rifleman 09.18.2021

Caife Trean

Aha! Looks like it was the bolt release. When I swapped the factory original back in I was able to feed a magazine in again.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. -Red Green

Rifleman 09.18.2021

FiremanBob

If the bolt lock plate is inserted wrongly, it will bind on the mag release plunger and prevent it from moving backward when inserting the magazine. No need for full disassembly, just the lock plate and sometimes the mag release.

Another common error is having the bolt lock spring oriented wrongly when inserting the plate. If the dogleg arm of the spring is below the plate, it won't work. Also, if the dogleg arm of the spring is facing the rear, nothing will work.

An unrelated, but equally common, error is allowing the ejector to slip out of place when inserting the trigger group into the receiver. If I have a very loose ejector I'll put some electrical tape on the side of it to tighten the fit in the slot of the housing. Some aftermarket trigger groups (Kidd) fix the ejector in place so it can't move.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

Monkey

Quote from: FiremanBob on August 27, 2021, 06:22:42 AM
If the bolt lock plate is inserted wrongly, it will bind on the mag release plunger and prevent it from moving backward when inserting the magazine. No need for full disassembly, just the lock plate and sometimes the mag release.

Another common error is having the bolt lock spring oriented wrongly when inserting the plate. If the dogleg arm of the spring is below the plate, it won't work. Also, if the dogleg arm of the spring is facing the rear, nothing will work.

An unrelated, but equally common, error is allowing the ejector to slip out of place when inserting the trigger group into the receiver. If I have a very loose ejector I'll put some electrical tape on the side of it to tighten the fit in the slot of the housing. Some aftermarket trigger groups (Kidd) fix the ejector in place so it can't move.

This post would have been useful...6 years ago.   ;D
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

Caife Trean

Thanks again for all the advice. It paid off in a big way!

Rifleman 09.18.2021

Hasty Sling

Quote from: Caife Trean on September 19, 2021, 09:48:02 PM

Real nice shootin'. Superbly done. Every Rifleman score is a rush, ain't it?

Caife Trean

Quote from: Hasty Sling on September 19, 2021, 10:17:07 PM
Quote from: Caife Trean on September 19, 2021, 09:48:02 PM

Real nice shootin'. Superbly done. Every Rifleman score is a rush, ain't it?

Yes! On day 2 it just clicked for me. Scored a few passing AQTs after that one, but I didn't submit them for a score since none were as high. Hoping to earn Distinguished on my next Appleseed

Rifleman 09.18.2021