News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Affordable Brown Bess Bayonet replica source, current Sept 2021

Started by nmmi9100, September 28, 2021, 05:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nmmi9100

Please forgive me if this is a duplicate post or posted in the wrong area.

My first Appleseed in June 2009 was with TaosGlock, BlueFeather, SamD, DevNull, et al in Albuquerque.  One of the props they had to enhance the history then was a replica bayonet for a Brown Bess musket.  For some reason, Bluefeather's replica bayonet really connected me and many of the others present with the events of April 19th.  The thought of redcoats seeking to skewer our forefathers on that thing, and in particular, before modern medicine, makes as tangible connection in a 21st century brain. 

I've been looking around for a decently priced replica for a while now and I found this one.  Mine was delivered today and I'm very pleased, both with the quality of the replica and with the quick shipping of from the seller.

https://www.by-the-sword.com/p-1522-brown-bess-bayonet.aspx

These are $51 plus shipping.  I live in the New Mexico boonies, so shipping was $20.  Yours may be less.  It includes an nice sheath with a cotton sling.  The seller shipped the day after I ordered.

You might want to add one of these to your Appleseed history telling tool box.  A replica bayonet from the period is particularly effective for telling the Strikes as well as DOM stories such as Samuel Whittemore's and the Benediction.

/David
Tijeras, New Mexico

Charles McKinley

Thank you.  I'm going to check out their non-firing Bess.  If it just needs drilled it may be of interest.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

nmmi9100

I've been looking at a firing Land Long Pattern from Dixie Gun Works but the $1500 price point has kept me out of one.  This outfit doesn't say on one of their models if it is firing or not.  If it's shootable, it's a decent deal.

/David

Guntuckian

I have had one of these for several years now.  Definitely a fireable replica. Drilled the touch hole with a 1/16th inch drill bit.  Started at 60 g ffg, but it was not consistent groups.  Increased load, slowly.  And,  I finally sighted in mine at 120g FFG. Gives Consistent  2.5 inch groups at 25 yards. Then, and only then, I  fitted the bayonet. 

I bought a .69" mold, and cast my own.  These work well, patched..

https://www.militaryheritage.com/musket7.htm

TheMenace has the Long Pattern, the earlier version, from the same folks.  Ships from Ottawa, Canada.

--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

nmmi9100

Guntuckian:

Which exact one did you buy and covert to firing capable?  They have several listed on the website.

Thank you,

/David

OP 78

I bought a Pedersoli Brown Bess after my first Appleseed, I ordered it from Midway USA. I picked up a bayonet specifically for the Pedersoli from Dixie Gun Works. Its definitely a fun musket and brings things into perspective on what kind of arms were used back then. I also cast my own .69 Cal. round balls and actually enjoy making up the paper cartridges. I'm hoping to be able to bring it to an Appleseed event sometime in the near future so others can see it.
Rifleman 4/17/2021
Pistoleerâ„¢ 7/10/2021
KD qualified 9/11/2021
Rimfire Kd qualified 10/23/2021

Guntuckian

Quote from: nmmi9100 on September 29, 2021, 03:28:54 AM
Guntuckian:

Which exact one did you buy and covert to firing capable?  They have several listed on the website.

Thank you,

/David

This one is the one I bought:

https://www.militaryheritage.com/musket7.htm

--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V