News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

ECCL AAR September 18&19, 2021

Started by Corvette, September 20, 2021, 07:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corvette

Well, another great Appleseed is in the books at Erie County Conservation League near Sandusky, Ohio. We had 14 shooters arrive ready to work on their skills.  This included a nice mix of new folks and returning shooters including some of my favorites.  (Marie, Robin, Scott)

We started the weekend with a welcome, introduction to the goals of RWVA and Project Appleseed, and our normal safety briefing.  This was followed by bringing rifles to the line and we started the event with the Sat morning Red Coat. 

Results were pretty good.  We had 10 of 14 shooters put three rounds in the 100 yd target, 6 @ 200, 2 @ 300, 4 @ 400, 5 joined Daniel Morgan and we had 1 cleared Red Coat, congrats to Scott (not his first cleared Red Coat by any means).

We moved to the points of instruction (POI).  The steady hold factors in prone were presented followed by the six steps and NPOA.  Related drills were shot after each POI and we then shot sighting groups in anticipation of IMC.  IMC was presented and we broke for lunch.

At lunch Cadence gave us a great First Strike and we returned to the line for sight adjustments and confirmation groups.  We moved on to the steady hold in seated with related drills.

Cadence presented a great Second Strike at our afternoon break and we returned to the line for Steady hold in standing.  The day ended with our Sat afternoon Red Coat.  Progress was shown.

We had 11 of 14 at 100, 9 at 200, 4 @ 300, 4 @ 400, 7 joined Daniel Morgan and we 3 cleared Red Coats.  Congrats to Marie, Brian and Scott.  In Scott's case that make two straight cleared Red Coats, some fine shooting.

The Third Strike was presented by Corvette with a following call to action and we closed out the day.

Sunday dawned clear with a gentle breeze and reasonable humidity which was good.  Several shooters could not rejoin us on Sunday so we were 13 shooters.  The morning Red Coat showed more progress.  We had 10 of 13 shooters at 100, 5 at 200, 7 at 300, 3 at 400, and 7 joined Daniel Morgan.  Scott and Brian cleared the Red Coat.  That makes three in a row for Scott and two for Brian.  Huzzah!

After doing the trigger drill and telling some flag history, we moved on to the AQT grind. 

We shot two AQT's Sunday morning.  The skills of the shooters showed up right from the start.  We broke for lunch and presented the KD lecture.  Back on the line in the afternoon we shoot 3 more AQT's. The skills of the shooters were evident. 

We had a total of 14 qualifying scores:

Marie (R):  215, 230, 219
Brian (R):  227, 212 (did it this time with a bolt action rifle)
Adam (N): 213, 229, 221, 228 (second Appleseed and took Orange hat )
Jason (N):  230 (second Appleseed and took Orange hat)
Scott (R):  234, 224, 230, 224 (getting so close to that Distinguished patch that I know you want)

The DOM's were presented throughout the afternoon and we broke up the grind with a team challenge.  We were down to 9 shooters so we created three teams, team Adams, Revere and Warren.  We posted a 100 target and gave each team 13 rounds.  Challenge was high score with 1 minute to fire the rounds.  Results were very impressive.  With a total of 39 rounds between all three teams, there were only two hits outside of the five ring. 

We used total x's as a tie breaker which we needed.  Final scores were as follows:  Team Adams - 65-11x, Team Revere - 65-8x and Team Warren 63-8x.  That was some really good shooting and all got special rewards for their efforts.

We ended the day with the Sunday Red Coat.  We had lost some shooters during the day due to various reasons. There were only six shooters left to shoot the Sunday afternoon Red Coat.  Results were outstanding.  We had 6 of 6 at 100, 4 at 200, 3 at 300, 2 at 400, 2 joined Daniel Morgan but 1 cleared the final Red Coat. Congrats to Adam.

We officially closed the event with another call to action and a challenge for all to get involved in their communities.   My thanks to the shooters for having a safe event and to Cadence, Alliquippa, slowbutsure, Griffin and PAFM for helping with the event.   And, our thanks again to Erie County Conservation League for hosting our event. 

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Corvette

Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Codebook

Earned the patch thanks to all the great instructors
Knowledge is power

Corvette

Cleared Red Coats on Saturday afternoon.  Congrats to Marie, Scott and Brian.

Corvette

scottyoh

Thanks so much for another fine weekend of instruction, heritage and shooting. I hope to see you soon at another Appleseed. I want to sharpen my skill set and earn that distinguished patch! Someone told me the difference between a 220 and a 240 is attention to the six steps of firing a shot. I believe it and will work hard to follow along exactly as you and the others instruct and demonstrate.

Corvette

Scotty,

I know that you will make it to Distinguished.  You are soooo close.  It is just executing the six steps on every single shot.  I hope I am there when you finally cross over to Distinguished.  It will be a great day for both of us. 

You and Robin's support for Appleseed is greatly appreciated.  Keep working on it and you will get there.

Corvette

Cadence

What a great weekend we had at the Erie County Conservation League. The weather was perfect and we had a sellout event with a mix of returning and new shooters. All participants had that important teachable attitude throughout the weekend.

Congratulation to our new Riflemen Adam and Jason who both stepped up to take Orange Hats. HUZZAH!  ^:)^

Also a big HUZZAH to Marie who had scored a rifleman score earlier in the year and also stepped up to take an Orange hat. O0. Marie proved a rifleman/riflewoman persists. She was so close so many times at earlier events but her equipment always seemed to give out at the most inopportune times.

We had a great group of instructors. A pleasure working with all of you.

A special shout-out and thanks to Erie County Conservation League for allowing us to use their fabulous facility.
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

Cadence

A few more Photos
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

Aliquippa

Orange Hats Aliquippa, Springbok,Slowbutsure,Patriot12 and some guy in the middle.    ;) None of us would be there except for him. Some working, some shooting, all because of this fine SB and his passion for PA and our country.