News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

South Huntsville AL Sep 18, 2021 Pistol Clinic - Event ID: 7537

Started by Mixed Metaphor, September 20, 2021, 06:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mixed Metaphor

My deepest and most profound gratitude to the Shooters who came out for the event, though weather was forecasting rain.  It did rain!  I really thought we were going to have a Wreck there!  😊 
I want extend our most heart-felt gratitude to Don Eiermann, owner of Hobbs Island Shooting Range.  Don and Matt are tremendous supporters of Liberty and Project Appleseed!  We have held several events there and have many more scheduled.
We arrived around 7:30ish and held an instructor meeting.  Most of the instructors headed down to set up the range.  We had 7 Shooters on the covered line. 
We held all instruction on line. Morticia gave an outstanding recount of the First Strike!  We rolled right into safety and pistol familiarization, then we brought pistols to the line.  Our first 13 rounds was a Hits Count/ Red Coat target.  On the range we learned about proper grip of the pistol, chamber checking, Isosceles stance, low ready centerline index, 6 Steps of firing a shot and natural point of aim.  At lunch, Leadslinger66 regaled us with the Second Strike.  Well done, Sir!
We practiced what was taught using the Small DOTS target.  Dry fire or practical exercises for each block of instruction worked well.   
There was great discussion throughout the weekend on the course of fire.  A great learning experience for all!
After the practical exercises, we proceeded to the PQTs.  We took a break from PQTs for the Third Strike.  Morticia stepped up and did another great job with the story! 
We had 1 out of the 7 qualify as Pistoleer™!  Mike V. was shooting tremendously!  He qualified with expert scores 3 times, the highest being 230.
The improvement for all Shooters was fantastic.  Everyone was shooting very well.

I can't possibly express my gratitude adequately to Old Navy Doc and Black Knight for travelling from Tennessee. Leadslinger66 and Overmountain drove in from Georgia.  Morticia drove in from Kentucky. I covet their input and listen when they speak.  They all have my undying love and respect.
I love Appleseed.

Please post your pictures, if you have any.

May Liberty Increase!
May Liberty Increase,

J. Gary Smith

Alabama

Leadslinger66

What an awesome day at the range! Thanks to all of the shooters for coming out. It was a pleasure to meet you all. Thanks to Mixed Metaphor for running the event and the other instructors for making the long trip to Huntsville. I always learn from each of you!
John

"We mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor." - the signers of the Declaration of Independence

Mf1ve

Hi, Mike V. here. What an amazing day! I've posted a few pictures below.

It rained like heck, but if anything it only added to the fun. Hobbs Island is such a great range, and the covered pistol bay was a comfortable place to hang out during the event. I really enjoyed the material and presentations covered during the clinic - and the shooting, of course. Special thanks to Mixed Metaphor for heading things up and presenting so much material, to Morticia for her stirring recounts (very well told!), and to Old Navy Doc for his insight into breathing and stance, and pointers on how to build a relaxed, focused shooting discipline. And of course, thanks to everyone who drove from so far to work at, and be at, the event! Dinner afterwards was great - BBQ and good conversation. Thanks for such a great experience! P.S. I'll work to get that perfect 13 hit count... so close. 

Google

I stopped in briefly, after the rain ended, :cool2: to catch up with old friends and see how things were going.  I arrived just in time to snap a pic of Mike V receiving his Pistoleer™ patch.  Congrats, Mike!!  Huzzah!!  ^:)^

Black Knight

What a great day at Hobbs Island Shooting Range!!  All of us shooters where engaged in the instruction and were delighted to put into practice what we had learned; we all saw marked shooting improvement throughout the day.  The copious rain did NOT dampen enthusiasm at all.  We were regaled by Morticia's presentation of the First and Third Strikes, some of the best I have heard in five years!  Each instructor did their best to impart pistol shooting wisdom to us.  It was great to see both Maximum Ordinate and Google visit the shoot in the afternoon.  I am really looking forward to the next opportunity to visit HISR!
Black Knight
1st AS: Tuscaloosa, AL OCT  8-9, 2016
Applecore: Jun 6, 2017
AC/RSO: Jul 12, 2017
IBC: Pelham, TN Feb 23-24, 2019
Pistol IBC: Mar 5,2021

Maximum Ordinate

It was good to see everyone!  Congrats to our new Pistoleer™, Mike!

I only got a couple of pics worth posting.  Thank goodness one of them was the group photo!

"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Old Navy Doc

This was an amazing course at a fantastic range. I had a ball working with Gary and the other instructors to teach the Appleseed view of life, history, and marksmanship to this wonderful receptive audience. The appearance of Maximum Ordinate and Google was an unexpected honor and delight. It certainly drive home the spirit of family and devotion to duty. Thank you for the honor of serving with you all.
In Liberty, Old Navy Doc
First AS: Ramseur 2/09
Rifleman: Charlotte 11/14
Orange Hat: Calera 1/15
KD Rifleman: Puryear 5/15
Red Hat: Sevierville  11/16
Rimfire KD: Huntsville 12/20
Pistoleer™: Huntsville 2/21

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."  Plato