News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Just Purchased A Ruger 10/22, Need Tech Sight Purchasing Assistance

Started by johnnygoodman, March 11, 2009, 04:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnygoodman

Howdy,

I am gearing up in hopes of attending an Appleseed shoot in Texas next month.

I have purchased a Ruger 10/22 Standard Carbine (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2685522).

I have received and printed the guide to Appleseeding a Ruger 10/22. The first instruction says to visit http://www.tech-sights.com/ruger3.htm for Tech Sights.

When I visit I see two options:

1. TSR100 Aperture Sight for Ruger 10/22
$55.00 (includes front and rear sight)

2. TSR200 Aperture Sight for Ruger 10/22
Now STANDARD with Extended National Front Post - allowing for shooting at shorter ranges.
$69.00 (includes front and rear sight)

Will both work? I'm happy to buy the more expense ones if they provide extra goodness.

Thanks,
Johnny

Nickle

I've got 4 10/22's set up with Tech Sights, and all 4 wear TSR-100's. That's all you'll really need.

Before you order, consider checking here:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=5398.0

You might save a little money, and you might also ensure you get them in time.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Grandson of Liberty

I have the 200, and though anecdotal, I have heard of some people with 100s regretting not having the 200. Obviously the 100s work well for some, not for others. The option of adjusting for elevation on the rear sight may be worth the extra $$. I ordered the 200s just to avoid learning the hard way.  $$-0
"Who hasn't done 'Number 2' on Bob yet?"- Jr. Birdman, Piru IBC, Three-Oh-Nine

BDG

Both work. Ask yourself if you expect you will ever need rear adjustable elevation. If so, then you can go with the 200 model.
Davilla Eleven-Oh-Eight!!

eaglescouter

Quote from: BDG on March 11, 2009, 06:47:06 PM
Both work. Ask yourself if you expect you will ever need rear adjustable elevation. If so, then you can go with the 200 model.

Question:  What rifle would never need elevation adjustments on the sights? 

I can't imagine limiting myself to a single fixed shooting distance (nor to a fixed set of two distances if you count the other end of the trajectory).
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

dwarven1

I've had both. Bought the 200 first. The next three LTRs all wear the 100's. Didn't see the need for the extra range of adjustments in the 200. BDG - there IS elevation adjustments in the 100's - it's in the front sight.

(the fifth LTR wears a Weaver K7 scope).
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Francis Marion

Quote from: eaglescouter on March 11, 2009, 06:59:47 PM
Quote from: BDG on March 11, 2009, 06:47:06 PM

Question:  What rifle would never need elevation adjustments on the sights? 

I can't imagine limiting myself to a single fixed shooting distance (nor to a fixed set of two distances if you count the other end of the trajectory).

A ray gun.

Grandson of Liberty

"Who hasn't done 'Number 2' on Bob yet?"- Jr. Birdman, Piru IBC, Three-Oh-Nine

BDG

Quote from: dwarven1 on March 11, 2009, 07:03:56 PM
I've had both. Bought the 200 first. The next three LTRs all wear the 100's. Didn't see the need for the extra range of adjustments in the 200. BDG - there IS elevation adjustments in the 100's - it's in the front sight.

Yeah, and that works for most everybody, but the question is if he expects he will ever need *rear* elevation adjustment.

I have a 200 installed on my primary LTR and having been only fired for AS, it has not yet needed rear elevation for 25m shooting. This LTR has been loaned out for AS nearly every month for a different shooter and I bring it regularly for that purpose. As such, I don't expect it will need rear adjustment for elevation. If I ever end up using this LTR for something other than an Appleseed, then this could perhaps change.

eaglescouter: If this is a concern for you, then go with the 20 model for your own LTR. You may end up using it unlike myself. This could be for shooting at non-flat planar angles (into treelines or bushlines for squirrels or whatnot) or at longer distances that might be preferable to have a fine adjustment in the rear.

I plan on purchasing another tech-sight in the future for my secondary LTR, but it will probably be the 100 model just for training.

YMMV.
Davilla Eleven-Oh-Eight!!

arpjoe

Johnny,

Order the front sight adjusting tool too unless you already have an A1 (5-prong ) sight tool.

Joe
Starve the collective (Ref: Starving the Monkeys, Tom Baugh) and
restore the Constitution.

He is a fool who knows not that swords were given to men, that none might be slave, but such as know not how to use them..
Algernon Sidney
Discourses Concerning Government
Ch. 2, sect. 4, p.343

EEL

Johnnygoodman,

Like nickle says, ck the site on this board.  I have both in stock as well as the tool.  Save you a few $$$

Then you can spend it on ammo!!

Your call.
Let me know.

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

johnnygoodman

Greetings,

Thank you all for your advice. I've PM'd EEL. I am going to go with the TSR200. Likely overkill, but when given the option I tend to come down on the side of "better to have and not need" when the price difference is acceptable.

Johnny