News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Guilford, Ct at NHSC, Aug. 8, 2021

Started by TOMINCT, August 11, 2021, 10:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TOMINCT

We had a great event at New Haven Sportsman's Club this past Sunday with 10 shooters on the line. It started kinda soggy and the sunny and dry didn't appear until mid afternoon. However this had little effect on the enthusiasm of those attending.

Parallax and Kosciuszko helped with getting everyone on board, working on positions, checking NPOA and all the things that needed fixing during first half of the day. After lunch and the 2nd strike we got into sitting and standing positions. The rain had finished by the time we started running the 'grind'.

In no particular order we had 3 Rifleman for the day. Mark fired a 226, Glenn a 217 and Brian a 224 score. Other RM scores were fired by them also. There were steady gains in abilities by most all attending.

A big thank you goes out to the NHSC for the use of the range. They have been a staunch supporter of Appleseed for some time and we hope to be back there again.

Parallax & Kosciuszko helped immensely throughout the day and did their best to keep things going and flowing, thank you.

As always, a Rifleman persists.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

CAANY

Awesome 3 rifleman minted on a one day Appleseed is quite a feat!   Congratulations to the Rifleman and to the Instructors.  Great job!
"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others." - Sir Winston S. Churchill.

TOMINCT

Quote from: CAANY on August 11, 2021, 05:04:22 PM
Awesome 3 rifleman minted on a one day Appleseed is quite a feat!   Congratulations to the Rifleman and to the Instructors.  Great job!
My bad, all are requalified RM.  %)

We had good gains with a  few new people to the event, one shiny new. Improvement by many was seen.
Ramseur 2-12!

Parallax

Another fun and productive Appleseed in CT. :F

Parallax

Group Photo, Rifleman and Junior attendees  :beer:

Corvette

Looks like a great event. Well done to all, shooters, instructors and a big thank you to the range for hosting us. 

Huzzah!!!

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

TOMINCT

Thanks Corvette, it was a great event. I think the major reason keeping some folks away is lack of procuring decent priced ammo.

Side note, we had one shooter with an M1 carbine all day. Once he got the fundamentals down and zeroed he was hammering squares with 4 and 5 MOA groups! Later he had some malfs occur but the carbine did very well.
Ramseur 2-12!

Corvette

Very interesting,  I have always had in the back of my mind to shoot an AQT with my M1 carbine.  Let's face it, the bigger holes should help with the score.  And, the sights are adjustable enough that I think I could do well with it.  I have plenty of ammo in inventory and can reload what I use so I think I will give it a try.

Question though, did you shooter just use the hasty sling in all the positions, not sure how I would rig a GI loop sling on a carbine.  Any insights?

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

TOMINCT

Hasty with issue sling only. I believe someone makes a 1" web sling but in this case the issue worked well.

Not sure if the malfs were mag related, grunge or lack of oil. Early on it did very well.
Ramseur 2-12!

Corvette

Thanks for the feedback. 

I am thinking, if I rig up a small piece of webbing to go around the oiler and through the slot in the stock, I could put an inch and 1/2 sling swivel on the butt and use the 1" loop slings from my Marlin Appleseed loaners (or step up the front swivel by zip tying a 1&1/2" swivel on the forestock) to make it work. 

Once I sort it out, I will send you a pic or two just FYI.

Corvette

TOMINCT

I've used a Freeland sling hook to do something similar. The hook is a quick detach style, no moving parts. It has a 1.25" slot for the sling and 1.25" flat hook to atach to a swivel.

I ground the flat hook down evenly on both sides to narrow it down to 1". Used it that way on a Mosin M39. Only using it as a loop sling, not hasty.
Ramseur 2-12!