News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

A little history, from one of America's greatest rifleman

Started by Oldmikey, May 25, 2021, 08:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldmikey

We fought that last war to make the world safe for democracy, and we did... for a while.
The thing they forget is that liberty and freedom and democracy are so very precious that you do not fight to win them once... and then stop.
Liberty and freedom and democracy are prizes awarded only to those peoples who fight to win them, and then keep fighting eternally to hold them.
By our victory in the last war, we won a lease on liberty, not a deed to it."
-- Alvin York
"Great things have been affected by a few men well conducted"George Rogers Clark

" to old to run"

Tennessee Beast

I can see his statue from my office.  He was one of our finest!
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

Oldmikey

Enfield or Springfield? The age old question, can you tell from the statue?
"Great things have been affected by a few men well conducted"George Rogers Clark

" to old to run"

Gus

That quote is as valid today as it was then.

Makes me wonder how many people aged 30 and down would know who Alvin York was without googling it.

As an aside, I once owned a sporterized P-17 Enfield, a Remington product. Someone had done a first rate job of drilling/tapping the action for a scope and installing a Shilen barrel onto the action.  Rifle would cut clover leaves at 100 yards, especially with Hornady 180 SPs.  The kicker?  I bought it from a pawn shop in Box Elder, South Dakota for $250, in 1994.  Then I sold it in 1998. Wish I had that one back.

Gus
"Mental notes aren't worth the paper they're written on" - Mark Twain

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen" - Jeff Cooper

Tennessee Beast

Quote from: Oldmikey on May 29, 2021, 02:29:07 PM
Enfield or Springfield? The age old question, can you tell from the statue?

Well, he's holding a Springfield.  Who knows whether that's accurate or not?!?!?!
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

Oldmikey

Thanks Robert ,you're a good man.Barring any more solid evidence, I'll take the artist word for it

" to old to run"

Ramblin' Wreck

I just found this thread. On a personal note, I actually saw Sgt. York once in a parade (probably 4th of July) in Crossville, TN sometime in the late 50's or early 60's before he passed in 1964. He was from that area and VERY popular as you might suspect.
Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown