News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Being grouped with friends on the line?

Started by spitstickler, March 04, 2009, 04:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitstickler

I signed up for my first appleseed in April @ Davilla!

I'm reading up and getting prepared and noticed today on the faq page that if you are meeting friends there that you need to put specific information in the regard on the sign-up form to ensure you'll be grouped together. I hadn't really thought about this before and didn't realize it might be require some forethought on my part to make sure this happens.

I told my buddies to put a group name we picked out on the eventbright registration form, but I'm not seeing a place for it there. Is there someone I need to contact to see about getting us grouped together, or is it not that big of a deal and we can work it out when we show up in April? There will be 3-6 in our group depending on who all follows through.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

slim

It shouldn't be a problem of you guys being "grouped" together as most Appleseeds are done as one big group. However, one thing you may want to keep in mind is it may actually benefit you to be separated. Groups of folks who've shot together tend to have similar habits and styles. Not that it's a bad thing, but if you truly want to learn what Appleseed has to offer, it may help to split your group up a little bit.

As far as I know there are no "assigned firing lanes" at any AS event (YET!) so you can set up your shooting mat and gear next to whomever you want so no worries there.

Scout could probably clue you in a little better than I can. Send him a Personal Message (PM) and he'll break it down for you. Glad to hear you're going to an Appleseed. Have fun!

wcmartin1

Quote from: slim on March 04, 2009, 04:58:44 AM
...set up your shooting mat and gear next to whomever you want so no worries there.

No worries, Pard.  Y'all can shoot together.  :~
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

spitstickler

I definitely want to learn a lot and get the most out of this as possible, but I doubt we share any bad habits because most of us have never met in person before, much less shot together.

We know each other through the internet and it would just be nice to be together. No biggie if it doesn't work out where we're together, but just wanted to see what the deal was. I know we will push each other to score higher and I general do better at things when there's a little friendly competition involved.

Plus, we all have different types of rifles and probably at some point (maybe late on the Sun) We might like to try to switch around and try each other's rifles out. One of my buddies has a Garand that I'm really itching to give a whirl.

Thanks for the replies!
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

metalbot

In Davilla, we don't assign you lanes.  You can definitely shoot with your friends.  We do generally try to have most of the centerfires down on the right side of the line, with a bit of separation from the rimfire shooters, but if your friends are shooting centerfire and you want to sit in their midst with a .22, we certainly won't stop you.
Davilla 1108

BDG

I'm a proponent of not being next to a friend when you are shooting, so you can get the feel for the motion in an unfamiliar environment with strangers on either side (soon to be friends!). I'm also a proponent of being on the right side of a centerfire rifle so the ejected brass heads your way. If you have not done it, you might be initially distracted by it, but after a few AQTs you will be focusing so intently on your shooting, that the brass will not even be a second thought. This helps you to attain and keep a focus on shooting and not letting silly little hot flying brass get in your way. :)

That all being said, you are plenty welcome to take your own personal choice of locations on the line with or without friends. There is plenty of room in Davilla. You can move to a new spot if you don't like your first choice (under proper supervision and in a safe manner of course).
Davilla Eleven-Oh-Eight!!